User talk:Verdy p/archive3
Translator, We need you! edit
Dear Verdy p,
You have helped us in previous years with translations and for that we are most grateful. Now we turn towards the 2011/12 fundraiser. It may seem forever away, but work has already begun getting everything ready to go. This year we want to have landing pages covering as many countries in as many languages as possible.
Right now, we want to figure out who is interested in translating for the fundraiser. This year we're hoping to have more of a solidified "core" group of translators that we can count on to have work done by a few key dates, but we'd also welcome help from people who are willing to just help out when they can.
If you would be interested please take a look at this little sign-up survey and fill it out http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=13638&newtest=Y&lang=en. With that we can start building a list of people and filling any gaps in the languages we serve.
Thank you for your help with board election translations edit
Hi! As member of this year's board election committe I would like to give you this barnstar for your help with the translations of the board election pages into French. It was very much appreciated! Jon Harald Søby 13:58, 1 September 2011 (UTC)
Change in translations edit
Hi, and thank you for your activity with fundraiser translations so far!! I have one small request to make: We had to change three of the appeals; the change is the same in all of them, and the replacement text is quite short, so I don't want to e-mail people just to fix that, and that's why I'm asking you instead. It would be great if you could do the following fixes in French:
Since these are small changes you don't have to go through the cycle of having it proofread and everything, unless you are unsure about the translation. Thanks in advance. :-) Jon Harald Søby (WMF) 05:07, 27 October 2011 (UTC)
Main page templates edit
Hi, I noticed you made significant changes to the templates on the main page though appearance did not seem to change. I'd like to know what parts you didn't particularly like or found difficult. I am glad you are helping :) -- とある白い猫 chi? 23:06, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
- This is because of a problem of maintenance of languages, and many trandlations were not displayed. I have used the centralized Template to perform autotranslation, without the complication of multiple templates to edit and maintain separately. Now, the translations are really complete and displayed properly, wherever they are provided. (The "WM News/code" template was really bad, it adds nothing and in fact complicates things a lot).
- Those edits needed to help maintenance are still not finished, I've tried to not change the appearance at all on purpose: it is normal that you don't see changes most of the time, notably if you use English as your prefered local language. Try displaying pages with "?uselang=code" or change your local language preference, and you'll see the improvements. verdy_p 23:11, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
- I have been working very hard to internationalize the meta main page. Indeed there are problems that need to be addressed. I introduced WM News/code to simplify and allow multi-lingual support. Your method makes more sense but the worry of mine is that its in essence a template within a template which is difficult for people who don't know how templates work. I only hope to improve the status quo. :) -- とある白い猫 chi? 18:47, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
- It is not a template within a template. It just avoids maintaining mutiple long lists of languages. I made that after I realized that some languages were not included and made visible. And it was almost equivalent to another template that realized this lang-switch (that I have also extended).
- The syntax is not more complicate. In fact you have used a template within a template by using a template only to pass the name of another template to call by reference (invokations of templates by reference is costly on the server as it cannot determine which one to preload and cache, and in fact will never cache any one in this case). verdy_p 01:40, 28 November 2011 (UTC)