User talk:Mwalker (WMF)
Re: CentralNotice / Translate auto-conversionEdit
The actual converting code is a single line
$bannerHtml = $parentLang->getConverter()->convertTo( $bannerHtml, $lang->getCode() ); where $lang ( = variant / requested language ) is used.
Normally it works on HTML with LanguageConverter::convert() - for variant info extracted from various globals ($wgUser, $wgRequest etc. It would be nice if someone can context-fy it - bugzilla:42240), or LanguageConverter::convertTo() - for a specified target variant. There's also a function LanguageConverter::translate() working on plain text, but I can't use it here on individual messages because sometimes HTML snippets (URLs for example) are there and will get garbled (for languages with variants written in Latin-based scripts).
Actually this feature is not well documented - bugzilla:19044 and I'm not surprised to see many developers have no idea about it at all. Liangent 18:26, 10 June 2013 (UTC)
Talkback at English WikipediaEdit
You have a new message at en:User_talk:OSborn#Labs Shell Request
Beginning of MassMessage, end of EdwardsBotEdit
Hi. You're being contacted as you're listed as an EdwardsBot user.
MassMessage has been deployed to all Wikimedia wikis. For help using the new tool, please check out its help page or drop a note on Meta-Wiki.
With over 400,000 edits to Wikimedia wikis, EdwardsBot has served us well; however EdwardsBot will no longer perform local or global message delivery after December 31, 2013.
A huge thanks to Legoktm, Reedy, Aaron Schulz and everyone else who helped to get MassMessage deployed. --MZMcBride (talk) 02:36, 22 November 2013 (UTC)
Hi! I took a look at this page and was surprised. I've never met usage of «#» in links like this: [#twitter Twitter]. As far as I understand, this is made for the other system which will paste in receiver's name and all the urls, right? Explain me this, please, in a few words. Thanks a lot, Ата (talk) 19:46, 17 December 2013 (UTC)
- Ата, you have it correctly, everything in the <tvar> is meant to be replaced by the backend system. It's looking for those specific keys. I used #link to indicate that it was a URL that was getting replaced rather than plain text. Mwalker (WMF) (talk) 20:54, 17 December 2013 (UTC)
Hi. What is this page for? It is not linked from any other pages, and has little content. PiRSquared17 (talk) 00:58, 18 January 2014 (UTC)
- PiRSquared17, not sure what I created that page for; but I attempted to mark it for deletion; so clearly it's not useful :p If you have the powers, please make it go away! Mwalker (WMF) (talk) 02:10, 18 January 2014 (UTC)
- That's what I suspected, but I wasn't sure. ;) Now deleted. PiRSquared17 (talk) 03:11, 18 January 2014 (UTC)
Translations:Fundraising/Translation/Thank you email 20131202 in CzechEdit
Hi, why have you blanked the 19th message? Is that because that e-mail is already translated so it should just be left blanked? Some edit summary would be helpful there...
Also, this edit of the 1st message is just weird. Have you tried using autotranslate tools or what that was? Please don't do so for English -> Czech translation; it won't end well. Regards --23:18, 9 February 2014 (UTC), Utar (talk)
- Hi Utar; thanks for looking at my edits. You are correct I needed to add an edit summary to the blanking :) I'll go ahead and update that now (via the qqq message.) As to the other; I was instructed to do that by The-wub and Jrobell who are in charge of fundraising translations. Mwalker (WMF) (talk) 18:23, 10 February 2014 (UTC)
Hi Utar! Thank you for your feedback on the Czech translations. We are addressing donors by first name in the subject line of the email we are sending to past donors. However, since the computer cannot figure out if the name being addressed is male or female, we are looking for a gender neutral greeting phrase. I was told by Czech users that 'dear donor', Vážený dářče, would be appropriate to use. If you have another suggestion, I would be delighted to hear your thoughts. You can contact me here or reach me via email firstname.lastname@example.org or IRC jessicarobell. Thank you! Jrobell (talk) 11:51, 11 February 2014 (UTC)
- Vážený dářče is bad, should be Vážený dárče or Vážený dárce, that ř can't be there. Version Vážený dárče with č is considered colloquial so the literary one is Vážený dárce only. See guidebook of Czech Language Institut, headline Vzor „soudce“ names the form dárce as the only standard one.
- I have changed Translations:Fundraising/Translation/Thank you email_20131202/1/cs to "Vážený dárce," then. --13:05, 16 February 2014 (UTC), Utar (talk)
Upcoming IdeaLab Events: IEG Proposal ClinicsEdit
Hello, Mwalker (WMF)! We've added Events to IdeaLab, and you're invited :)
Upcoming events focus on turning ideas into Individual Engagement Grant proposals before the March 31 deadline. Need help or have questions about IEG? Join us at a Hangout:
- Thursday, 13 March 2014, 1600 UTC
- Wednesday, 19 March 2014, 1700 UTC
- Saturday, 29 March 2014, 1700 UTC
Hope to see you there!
This message was delivered automatically to IEG and IdeaLab participants. To unsubscribe from any future IEG reminders, remove your name from this list