Who are we?
- 1 Who are we?
- 2 The Teams
- 3 Our Goals
- 4 Current fundraising acitivities
- 5 Contact Us
- 6 Fundraising updates
- 7 See also
Working across teams and with the Partnerships team
Foundations & Major Gifts
See also: Fundraising Technology
A Global Project
Readers around the world show their support for Wikimedia each year. The Wikimedia Foundation receives donations from nearly every country in the world in over 80 currencies, 20 payment methods, and 50 languages. We strive to provide readers worldwide with the best localized donation experience possible by offering preferred local payment methods and high quality messages in local languages.
Testing and Optimization
The online fundraiser is based on constant testing and optimization of different themes, messages, designs and user flows. We aim to educate all Wikipedia readers about our movement, provide a convenient donation process, and minimize the disruption of fundraiser banners on the reader experience. Only a tiny portion of readers donate -- therefore, we must always be improving our methods.
Another goal of the fundraiser is to educate Wikipedia readers about the Wikimedia movement. We do this through the messages displayed in banners as well as through creative content featuring the Wikimedia community. Over the years, we've run personal appeal messages from community members, featured videos introducing Wikimedia volunteers, and invited readers to join in editing.
Current fundraising acitivities
Operated by Wikimedia Foundation
- France Main Campaign (Banners): October 1st - October 29th 2019
- France Main Campaign (Portal): October 7th - October 29th 2019
- Note: There is no French fundraising occuring in the app
Operated by Wikimedia Foundation
- Big English Banner Testing: October 1st - November 31st 2019
- Big English Email: October 7th - January 3rd 2019
- Big English Main Campaign (Banners): December 1st - December 31st 2019
- Big English Main Campaign (Portal): December 1st - December 31st 2019
- Big English Main Campaign (App): December 1st - December 31st 2019
- Big English Thank you Campaign (Banners): January 1st - January 14th 2019
Operated by Wikimedia Deutschland
- German testing: July 1st - November 15th 2019
- German Main Campaign: November 15th - December 31st 2019
Operated by Wikimedia Switzerland
- German, Italian, French and English banner testing: October 14th - December 1st 2019
- German, Italian, French and English Main Campaign (Banners): December 1st - December 31st 2019
- We have an FAQ for donors and one for community members.
- Please stay in contact with us on the fundraising talk page.
- IRC channel: #wikimedia-fundraising (publicly logged)
- To report bugs in Phabricator, please use the #wikimedia-fundraising tag
- For a breakdown of how fundraising tech uses Phabricator, check out this wikitech page.
- For a calendar of all central-notice banners, including fundraising, see CentralNotice/Calendar
2019/2020 Q1 UpdateEdit
Just a quick update for the beginning of the financial year. We are in the midst of finalising our Fundraising report that covers our fundraising activities for the previous financial year. 2018/2019 was a really strong year for fundraising and we are excited to provide the community with a summary view of our online, major gift and endowment teams efforts.
With the new financial year we've already run our first email campaigns in July and our first banner campaign in Japan scheduled to start September 1. We've also started preparations for our Autumn English campaign which is our biggest campaign of the year. Through the summer up and right until [Giving Tuesday] we are running weekly tests, preparing our content and ensuring our systems are operating at their best.
This year will also hopefully see us returning to fundraising in India. We've already started working with community members, affiliates, and readers, to localise our fundraising content and this work will continue through to the first half of 2020.
We have a number of team members at Wikimania in Stockholm so if you have any questions look for Seddon, Megan, Peter, Moska, Jack or David! If you are looking for us, why not drop a message in the Wikimania2019 telegram chat.
For past updates, please see our update archive.