Requests for new languages/Wikivoyage Esperanto
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikivoyage Esperanto|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||eo (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Esperanto||Language name in English|
|Language name||Esperanto||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q143 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||Antarktulo, ARR8, Base, Hugoxrosa, KuboF, LaPingvino, Mx. Granger, Mutichou, Ochilov, Piet-c, Sahaquiel9102, Илья Драконов, Robin van der Vliet, NMaia, Hiàn|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Project name||Vikivojaĝo||"Wikivoyage" in your language|
|Project namespace||Vikivojaĝo||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||Vikivojaĝa diskuto||"Wikivoyage talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikivoyage-Logo-v3-eo.svg||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Etc./Universal||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Esperanto's international, intercultural ethos means that many Esperantists are frequent travellers who enjoy visiting foreign places and learning about new cultures. I believe a Wikivoyage edition in Esperanto would be most beneficial. Vikivojaĝo would be a great complement to Vikipedio, which contains many fine articles on European cities and towns. Antaŭen!
In our new WUG Esperanto kaj Libera Scio we can dedicate some time to consult transfer of content from many Esperanto organisations to Wikivoyage. There are many Esperanto meetings worldwide and practically all of them have description about "how to get in" in Esperanto, so it will be sufficient to ask permission. --KuboF (talk) 17:51, 14 January 2014 (UTC)
- I am happy to inform you that World Esperanto Youth Organization, where I am a full-time volunteer now, accepted my project to improve Esperanto Wikivoyage articles related to meetings of young Esperanto-speakers! It is part of my tasks I am doing in my "official volunteer" (quasi-work) time, so I can make hight-quality hight-traffic articles. Depending on results I would like to make this a tradition for world (and possibly another international) Esperanto meetings. --KuboF (talk) 18:56, 26 March 2016 (UTC)
- Not much interested in the WikiVoyage programme in general, but I believe this is well suited to the Esperanto community which is dispersed and likes to travel, and to read material in its own language. So support from me. -MacRusgail (talk) 16:10, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
- I am admin there and active contributor, so I strongly Support. --Ochilov (talk) 19:28, 13 December 2015 (UTC)
- The Esperanto community travels a lot, organizes conferences, does coughsurfing, etc. so there is potential for rich Wikivoyage content. --Dereckson (talk) 15:52, 5 February 2016 (UTC)
- Support. --184.108.40.206 15:50, 6 February 2016 (UTC)
- Strong Support as a test-admin. Ilya Drakonov (talk) 14:42, 11 February 2016 (UTC).
- Support I am now using the English Wikivoyage even for my Esperanto travels, so I see possibilities of content related specifically to Esperanto, which would be inappropriate in non-Esperanto Wikivoyage and so making an comparative advantage for eovoy. --KuboF (talk) 22:39, 5 March 2016 (UTC)
- Support--Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 13:53, 12 March 2016 (UTC)
- Strong support --Nastoshka (talk) 16:16, 13 March 2016 (UTC)
- Strong Support Robin van der Vliet (talk) 21:53, 8 October 2016 (UTC)
- Strong Support per Dereckson. CasteloBrancomsg 21:03, 4 January 2017 (UTC)
- Support NMaia (talk) 02:46, 26 January 2017 (UTC)
- Support Kosmopolitisto (talk) 18:37, 26 January 2017 (UTC)
- Strong support --Assoc (talk) 02:31, 30 January 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Tuxayo (talk) 11:56, 8 June 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support, for the reasons stated above, not to mention the fact that there are active Esperantist contributors on other Wikivoyages who would bolster the new site. However, I would urge the community to disable uploads. They are not necessary, and, for a small project, it's more of a waste of effort policing them than there is benefit gained from having them enabled. Not to mention, there is currently no EDP, and I'm sure that's holding up creating the edition, if nothing else. In fact, if no one else comments on this, I think I'll go ahead and switch it off in a few days' time. ARR8 (talk) 04:48, 15 March 2019 (UTC)