Planning Wikimedia Nigeria
Wikimedia Nigeria is a proposed Wikimedia chapter in Nigeria. Wikimedia Nigeria shall act as the official chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation in Nigeria. Our primary objective is to promote free access to knowledge through Wikipedia and other sisters projects run by the Wikimedia Foundation. We are committed to the development, growth and free distribution of educational contents in Nigeria. We empower people to contribute to Wikipedia and other sisters projects to ensure that knowledge are freely accessible . We share the ideal of a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge, and here in Nigeria we shall play a key role in actualization of that vision.
- To promote Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects in Nigeria
- To increase the quality and quantity of Nigeria related topics that are currently underrepresented on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
- To support the growth, development and distribution of free educational materials in Nigeria
- To partner with education based organization including the government to create educational contents and its free distribution
- To support the mission of the Wikimedia Foundation
- To support the use of the Wikimedia projects as important tools for education and learning in Nigeria
Wikimedia Nigeria is committed to the ideal of a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge and we believe that free access to knowledge is a fundamental right.
Our mission is to support and promote free access to knowledge, work with volunteers across the country, partner with governmental and non-governmental organisations, cultural and educational sectors and other mission aligned groups to make knowledge available for free access.
Proposed Operating principlesEdit
Our operating principles are based on our values, as follows:
- We shall promote the values inherent in the concept of open knowledge
- We shall recognize transparency as a key factor in every growth and development
- We are committed to the ideal of free access to knowledge
- We shall ensure that contents released for educational purpose is with high level of accuracy
- We shall promote the use of licences, formats and sources that support open knowledge
- We shall be committed to promoting the provision of high quality open knowledge to everyone
- We shall recognize that the contribution of volunteers is central to our activities, growth and development.
- We shall be committed to encouraging, involving and engaging members of our community
- We shall learn from and openly share our learning with the global Wikimedia movement
- We shall be transparent in our operations
- We shall support, encourage and promote diversity within our community
- We hope to become an independent Nigeria not-for-profit organization that engages actively with the global movement
- User:Olaniyan Olushola
- User:T Cells
- User:Jamie Tubers
- User:Eyitayo Alimi
- Wikipedia needs more editors from Nigeria — Olatunde Isaac published by People's Daily Newspaper on March 26, 2016.
- Wikipedia partners Nigerian NGOs to promote women published by The Guardian Newspaper on July 23, 2016.
- Wikipedia partners Nigerian NGOs to promote women published by The Nigerian Voice Newspaper on July 23, 2016.
- Wikipedians organize Wiki Loves Women in Nigeria published by News Express Nigeria on July 23 2016
- Wiki Loves women encourages Nigerian women presence on Wikipedia published by Punch Newspaper on the 14th of October 2016
- Loves Women encourages Nigerian women's presence on Wikipedia published by Daily Trust on the 14th of October 2016
- Mental illness: Wikipedia to create awareness in Nigeria published on the 23rd of January 2017
- BBC video for Wikimedia UG Nigeria in collaboration with World of Knowledge Published 13th of March, 2018.
- Wikipedia increase nigerian women visibility online, published by vanguard newspaper
- mental illness Wikipedia to create awareness of mental illness in Nigerian women, published by pulse
- out to get more Nigerian content online, published by pm news
- Wikipedia wants to increase women visibility, publshied my amore
- Lawson to be honored by Wikipedia, published by Nigeria gallery
Events and ProjectsEdit
Planning Nigeria had organized and participated in couples of activities in line with Wikimedia vision and mission. These includes:
- Adopt a school series
- Wiki Loves Africa 2015 in Nigeria tagged Africa's Culture in fashion and Adornment
- Wiki Photo Tours in Nigeria
- Wiki Loves Monument 2016 in Nigeria
- Celebrating Wikipedia15 with Wikipedia Workshop for Students of Fountain University
- Meetup April 2016
- Meetup May 2016
- Wiki Loves Women (Edit-a-Thon) July 2016 tagged: The Girl Child, Women in Politics and Entertainment
- Wiki Loves Women: Edit-a-Thorn with focus on Women in Civic Society and Humanity
- Women Inspired: Health and Community
- Women in Social Services-Promoting SDG in Nigeria
- Women Using ICT for Work-Life Integration in Nigeria
- en:Wikipedia:Wikiproject Wiki Loves Women/Technology:Redefining the identity of the 21st century woman
- Adopt a school series
- Planning Wikimedia Fan Club at Lagos State University (LASU)
- Live Radio Program
- Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ibadan
- Meetup April 2017 (Abuja)
- Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ilorin, Kwara State
- Wikimedia Usergroup Nigeria/Meetup September 2017
- WikiMaster Conference, Lagos January 2018
- Wikipedia / WikiData Edithon with Asaf Barthov, May 2018
- Wiki Women Radio Program
- Partnership with Nigerian Tourism Development Corporation to promote visibility of natural places, tourist site attractions etc in Nigeria.
- Partnership with National Commission for Museums and Monuments to train staff of the agency, releasing of images of all the monuments under open license and also to update information of the existing contents on Wikimedia
- Partnership with National Assembly of Nigeria to update contents about the assembly on Wikipedia and digitization of Nigerian bills on commons under open license.
- Partnership with Premium Times to work on creating secondary sources for Notable Nigerians without online presence.
Selected activities' galleryEdit
We are working on our bylaw...
Wikimedia Nigeria Corporate Headquarters
No 2A, Amodu Street
beside Shyfa Trado-Medical Center
Obadore bus stop
Phone: +234816 735 2512 or +2348166620737
Email: Olaniyanshola15@gmail.com or email@example.com