Wikimedia Usergroup Nigeria/Adopt a school series
The Wikipedia in Nigeria: Adopt School Series project has been conceptualized by (username:Olaniyan Olushola) and Kayode Yussuf (Username:Kayusyussuf)
This project aims to train and nurture young editors using Wiki tools by way of monitoring scheme.
- High school students
- Their computer teachers
- Their language teachers
Project expected actionsEdit
We intend teaching our Target Audience on how to edit Wikipedia, create websites using Mozilla and to understand the Creative Commons Licenses
The program will cover duration of 5 Weeks per school
The maiden Edition of this series starts today, 20th of May, 2015 at Alimosho Grammar School, Lagos Nigeria.
Budget for 20daysEdit
- Generator ( N5,000.00 per day) N100,000.00
- WIFI ( N10,000 for 2 Weeks) N 20,000.00
- Projector ( N5,000.00 per day) N100,000.00
- Transport Fare for Facilitators ( N20,000.00)
- Banner and Flyers ( N35,000.00) N35,000.00
- Total N275,000.00
List of User ID for Wikipedia from this programEdit
- Raji Oladipupo
- Soetan Olashubomi
- Kuyoro Samuel
- Pelemu Oluwafemi
- Abiodun Victor Olamilekan
- Aladejare Jousha
- Marvelous Makimde
- James Justin Okama
- Ogonna Edith
- Phemmy Olaniyi
- Toba Oluwafunmilayo
- Blessing ola
- Dave mark
- Okon David
- Blessing Sunday Umoh
- Godwin Destiny
- Victor Victoria Glory
- Monica Lewen Skid
- Joshua Alice
- Olademeji Temitope
- Elizabeth Segun
- Shofela Deborah
- Olaniyan Olushola
- Kayode Yussuf Kayusyussuf
- Osiyale Babatunde
- Tayo Fagbohun
- Rahman Oyebanji
This project will hold once in a week for five weeks. The school will nominate students who will partake of the training and this same number of students will be maintained all through the training.
Some of the school teachers too will be invited to join the training, especially the computer science and language teachers.
The participants will be trained on how to edit and create new Wikipedia articles. They will also learn how to create simple websites using Mozilla Webmaker tools and finally,understanding Creative Common Licenses.
The teachers (especially computer science and language teachers) will be part of the training so that after the five weeks, the teachers will have knowledge and can teach other students in the school. Below are the photograph from the training:
This program will run twice in a quarter. This will produce on the average 50 Editor per quarter. Therefore, we are targeting an average of 100 active editors before the end of a year.
The 'Adopt A School' Series program for Alimosho Junior Grammar School has just been concluded.
At the end of the training the students jointly created their school page on WIKI 
The next training will be held at Igbo-Owu Senior Secondary School Mushin
Challenges and opportunitiesEdit
- Internet facilities: A lot of the schools expressing interest do not have computers or internet facilities. As a matter of fact, we needed to get network switches to connect the computers of the first school we will train. We also need to source for internet access. All of these increase the cost of running the program. Priority will be given to schools with networked computers and internet access.
- Funding: This program is funded by contributions from among friends and relatives
- Resources: Majority of the resources person are volunteers, hence its difficult to see people contributing to the program except those that share in the vision.
- Local Languages: Though this training is geared at having the students upload in local languages, it has been seen that a lot of these students can read their local languages but they cannot write these languages.