This is the report of the 2021 annual plan of PhilWiki Community.
The objective of the Advocacy program is to engage in various activities for the promotion of free knowledge using different platforms. As part of its inclusive and pluralistic focus, the organization is currently presiding over various advocacy programs aimed at reaching out to marginalized groups in the Philippines. The SMART objectives of the Advocacy program are:
- to create 6 program episodes on social media that feature local Wikipedians and their contributions to the movement during the year (e.g. winners in Wiki Loves Earth and Monuments in the Philippines)
- to collaborate with 3 local social media influencers who will feature Wikipedia and the free culture in one of their vlog episodes
- to participate in 4 cultural and historical celebrations and in various fora as a partner organization or participate as resource speakers or as attendees (e.g. Mother Tongue Day, Quincentenary of the Circumnavigation of the Globe by Ferdinand Magellan, Women's Month, Literature Month, Heritage Month)
- 1 program episode created during the Pagkarahay Art Festival 3
- 0 collaboration with local social media influencers
- 4 participation in cultural and historical celebrations and in various fora as a partner organization, resources speakers or as attendees
- March 5 - In partnership with Developh Community, the 1-hour WikiGAP: Closing the Digital Gender Gap discussion was conducted via livestream to launch WikiGap in the Philippines in celebration of Women's Month. PH-WC president Irvin Sto. Tomas introduced the activities of the organization and answered relevant issues related to Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement.
- March 7 - Wiki Loves Earth and Wikimedia Commons Workshop was among the topics at the Pagkarahay Art Festival 2021 in celebration of Arts Month, organized by Kintab Artist Group, Inc. in partnership with the Local Government Unit of Minalabac and National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) held in Minalabac, Camarines Sur. PH-WC president talked about the international nature photography competition and free licensing. The 8-day art festival featured webinars, zoom and live streaming, arts exhibits, art installations, performance arts, murals, films, bands, yoga, zumba, open mic, talks and workshops on arts, literary, theatre, music and dance, bringing in the theme “Pagkarahay: Isip, Lawas, Kalag” (Healing: Mind, Body & Soul).
- June 19 — Engr. Ralff Nestor Nacor served as a guest speaker on Chemical Engineers and the Food & Beverage Industry at the Philippine Institute of Chemical Engineers - Junior Chapter Luzon (PIChE-JCL) Fair 2021 attended by B.S. Chemical Engineering students from Luzon via Zoom. Aside from sharing his experience as a chemical engineer, he also presented his volunteer works as a Wikipedian advocating the science information in the local language.
- November 25-30 - Pagkarahay Art Festival 3 was sponsored by the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA), Kintab Artist Group Inc., Isarog Garden Society Foundation Inc. in partnership with the city government of Naga, Metropolitan Naga Water District and PhilWiki Community. On the part of PhilWiki Community, it conducted Wiki Loves Art Photo Hunt, discussions on Wikipedia as part of its 14th Bikol Wikipedia Day celebration, and Wiknic gathering. The 6-day art festival will feature art exhibit, murals, art installations, painting competition, photo walk, Wiknic, traditional games, open forum, art talks and concert. This year's festival has a theme “Kapalibutan: Burabod nin buhay” (Environment: Source of life) in celebration of the National Environmental Awareness Month.
As a free, open, and vibrant organization of Filipino content editors, the community also aims to engage diverse participation to address the gender and knowledge gaps. Since 2019, the community has organized the WikiGap Campaign in the Philippines to close the gender gap and other diversity gaps on Wikipedia. It has also conducted activities that aim to build content on Philippine minority language-based Wikimedia projects including the Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia, Bikol Wikipedia, and Bikol Wiktionary.
The SMART objectives of the Diversity program are:
- to organize and participate in activities which focus on women and LGBT+ (e.g. WikiGap Campaign, Art+Feminism)
- to organize a monthly Wikipedia Philippine Month inspired by Wikipedia Asian Month that aims to promote Philippine content in different Philippine Wikipedia editions and beyond
- to conduct 2 editing activities to build contents on Philippine language-based Wikimedia projects currently in Incubation (e.g Bikol WikiSource, Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia, Miraya Bikol Wikipedia, Hiligaynon Wikipedia)
- to recruit new contributors from different sectors of society (e.g. religious, youth, elderly, differently-abled persons)
- to contribute 500 entries to a Philippine language in Lingua Libre
- Organized WikiGap Challenge producing 100+ articles about women on Bikol Wikipedia and Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia (currently in incubation) alone. Other articles were translated to other Philippine languages.
- 56 new articles were produced in Wikipedia Philippine Month: January (16), February (5), March (19), April (6), May (3), June (1), August (6), and improved 12 articles, all on Bikol Wikipedia.
- 1 new project was launched: Bikol Wikisource was created on August 31, 2021
- 30 new members were recruited to the organization which included 1 religous leader, 12 women, 1 LGBT member
- 0 entries was contributed to a Philippine language in Lingua Libre
The organization believes that Wikipedia, among other Wikimedia projects, belongs in Education hence it engages in projects, programs and activities that promote free, responsibly open-content resources and reference materials, through academia among other entities. It supports active learning and the Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom pilot program of the Education Team of Wikimedia Foundation. WikiTutorial was a project conducted from November 2018 to June 2019 which involved participants in editing tutorials as well as engagement in the training and organizing of activities. During this period, the participants along with educators learned the basic editing and got familiarized with the Wikimedia movement in the Philippines.
The SMART objectives of the Education program are the following:
- to have at least 10 teachers involved in editing activity participated by teachers and students during the year
- to introduce Wikipedia as a learning tool and platform in 3 schools, educational institutions, or academic communities (e.g. Reading Wikipedia at Home, Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom)
- to organize an advocacy program in 3 schools through the teachers engaged in the projects (e.g. Wiki Camp, Bikol Wikipedia Day)
- to increase the number of content provided within the activities in education, creating at least 500 articles
- 15 teachers from Cararayan National High School (11) attended a meet-up organized by Maffeth Opiana wherein she oriented the attendees with the on-going WikiGap Campaign; 4 teachers, one attendee each from Ragay National Agriculture and Fishery School, Partido State University, Cavite National High School, and Central Bicol State University of Agriculture, attended a meet-up and virtual meeting organized by Irvin Sto. Tomas wherein he oriented them about the Education programs of WMF. While 8 teachers were involved in the on-going Localization and Contextualization of Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom - Teacher's Guide Modules of the Education Team.
- introduced Wikipedia as a learning tool and platform in 6 schools namely Manapao Elementary School, San Juan National High School, Cavite National High School, Ragay National Agriculture and Fishery School, Partido State University, and Central Bicol State University of Agriculture. On June 2, PhilWiki Community launched the Localization and Contextualization of Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom - Teacher's Guide Modules of the Education Team, through collaboration of teachers, writers and volunteers. The goal of the project is to localize and contextualize the materials produced by the Education Team for the future use of the Community. The project also serves as a venue for teachers to get acquainted with the Wikimedia Movement through Education programs. Initially, the Community aims the localization and contextualization of the modules.
- distributed 2 sets of printed copies of the Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom Teacher's Guide Modules 1, 2 and 3 to Allan B. Fabay, Elementary School Principal I of Manapao Elementary School under DepEd Minalabac, and to Decimo L. Espiritu, Ed.D., Secondary School Principal III of San Juan National HS under DepEd Libmanan on June 1 and June 18, respectively. Over 200 printed copies of the localized version of the Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom Booklets were provided to teachers and students of SJNHS. In partnership with Kintab Artists Group, PhilWiki Community conducted Wiki Loves Art mural painting in the said schools.
- 4 schools became a partner in advocacy and outreach activities participated by Wikimedians, artists, teachers and volunteers at Manapao Elementary School, Bikol High School for the Arts and Culture, and Central Bicol State University of Agriculture. Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) were drafted and are now for signing with 4 educational institutions namely Center for Gender and Development (Camarines Sur Polytechnic Colleges), Partido State College, Bikol High School for the Arts and Culture, and Central Bicol State University of Agriculture;
- created 0 article to increase the number of content provided within the activities in education.
Outreach activities are being conducted to reach more people both online and offline thru collaboration with organizations and institutions. Wiki Loves photography contests proved to have a considerable impact on Wikimedia projects. Offline activities such as photography walks have engaged new contributors and volunteers.
The SMART objectives of the Outreach program are the following:
- to organize 2 lecture-workshops on Wikimedia Commons for photography and art enthusiasts
- to utilize 2,000 images on Wikipedia through in editing activities
- to organize 2 events on the anniversary of a local Wikipedia outside the Bicol region
- to increase the number of contributions to 5,000 images
- to increase the number of participants to 500 contributors
- 1 lecture on Wiki Loves Earth and Wikimedia Commons Workshop was conducted virtually. Attendees learned about the international nature photography competition and free licensing
- over 100 images were uploaded on Wikimedia Commons thru Wiki Loves Folklore 2021 in the Philippines campaign
- 4 photowalks were organized participated by the members in Siruma, Caramoan & Tigaon, Cabusao and Naga City
- 1 event was organized to celebrate the 14th birthday of Bikol Wikipedia in Naga City
Partnership with Raul S. Roco Naga Public Library and James O'Brien SJ Library will be established further through collaborations and mutual sharing of resources such as reference materials which will benefit the users of Wikimedia projects and the clientele of the library. The libraries will also be pilot GLAM institutions of Wikipedian In Residence (WIR) program of the PhilWiki Community.
The SMART objectives of the GLAM program are the following:
- to conduct 3 activities at GLAM partner institutions during the year such as editing activities, fora, and exhibits (e.g. 1Lib1Ref Campaign, Wiki Loves Earth/Monuments Exhibit)
- to at least 1 Wikipedian In Residence (WIR) who will train 10 employees of GLAM institutions and at least 50 new articles edited by them
- to establish a partnership with 3 GLAM institutions
- 0 activity conducted at GLAM partner institutions during the year
- 0 Wikipedian In Residence (WIR) to train 10 employees of GLAM institutions and at least 50 new articles edited by them
- 0 partnership was established with GLAM institutions (finalized MOA for signing with 4 educational institutions)
The SMART objectives of the Capacity Building program are the following:
- to conduct a monthly physical meeting and 10 physical meetups with new contributors within and outside Camarines Sur during the year
- to recruit 5 active contributors on different Philippine language-based editions of Wikipedia
- to submit the required documents on time and secure permits necessary to continue to operate as a non-profit company
- to submit the project reports on time and update the latest information about the user group on Meta regularly
- to send at least 1 delegate in regional, global and thematic Wikimedia Conferences, and at least 3 delegates in Wikimania
- to get a Chapterhood recognition from the Affiliations Committee within the year
- January 15 - Filipino Wikipedians in Camarines Sur joined the world in celebrating its 20th birthday.
- March 13 - 2020-2021 PH-WC Board conducted its last board meeting and approved Resolution: Member in Good Standing.
- March 20 - The 2021 annual general meeting was held on the 20th day of March, from 1:47 pm - 8:02 pm Philippine Time at Blackscoop Café, Naga City with live updates in Facebook messenger. Thirteen (13) members were in attendance, six were absent and one membership is suspended.
- April 15 - Filed income tax return and financial statements at Bureau of Internal Revenue on time.
- April 19 - Regular Board Meeting was held virtually via Google Meet attended by Cris Fragata Gomez (chair), Leah Banastao (secretary), Ralff Nestor Nacor (president), Irvin Sto. Tomas (treasurer). The agenda included: partnerships, membership, and other matters. Thru Resolution: Membership Approval (4/19/2021), eleven (11) membership applications were unanimously approved.
- May 5 - Organizational-Board Meeting was held in Naga City attended by Cris Fragata Gomez (chair), Leah Banastao (secretary), Irvin Sto. Tomas (treasurer); other attendees/past officers: Marvin Molin, Maffeth Opiana. The agenda included: transfer of duties of past officers to new officers, treasurer's report, organization's financial statements and percentage tax requirements, submission of copies of financial statements and general information sheet to the Securities and Exchange Commmission, new membership and privileges of regular members, and project initiatives and collaborations. Thru Resolution: Membership Approval (5/5/2021), eight (8) membership applications were unanimously approved.
- May 30 - Regular Board Meeting was held virtually via Google Meet attended by Ralff Nestor Nacor (president), Irvin Sto. Tomas, Fragata Gomez (chair), Leah Banastao (secretary). The agenda included: membership, chapter, upcoming activities, and other matters. Thru Resolution: Membership Approval (5/30/2021), seven (7) membership applications were unanimously approved. To date, PhilWiki Community has thirty-nine (39) members.
- June 12 - Organizational Meeting was held in Naga attended by Ralff Nestor Nacor (president), Cris Fragata Gomez (chair), Leah Banastao (secretary), Irvin Sto. Tomas, (treasurer); Other attendees were Roderick Sumalinog and Maffeth Opiana. The agenda included: Dinner with the President, policy on the creation of a community branch, amendment of resolution on Member in Good Standing, membership, and other matters.
- June 15 - Meet-up with Ringer, Filipinayd and Manila-based Ralffralff in Naga City.
- June 25 - Regular Board Meeting was held virtually via Google Meet attended by Ralff Nestor Nacor (president), Irvin Sto. Tomas (treasurer), Cris Fragata Gomez (chair), and Leah Banastao (secretary). The agenda included: approval of a resolution on Policy on Establishing a Philippine Wikimedia Community Branch, branch officers, expansion of Board and/or Officers, and Wiki editing contest for the members of the user group.
- August 30 - Wikimedians took a day off from the on Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos 2021, WLF 2021 Illustrate Wikipedia articles, and other online activities to get together for the Wiknic Naga 2 held at Naga Ecology Park.
- September 3 - Regular Board Meeting was held virtually via Google Meet. The Board unanimously passed resolutions on Policy on Code of Conduct, Grievance Committee, and Member Expulsion after a series of discussions among the members.
- September 4 - PhilWiki Community and other stakeholders volunteered for the Brigada Eskwela 2021 at Bikol High School for the Arts and Culture in preparation for the opening of classes. The Community conducted a dialogue with the school head on a posible partnership together with Parasurat Bikolnon and Kintab Artists Group.
- December 11 - Regular Board Meeting was held virtually via Facebook. Thru Resolution: Membership Approval (12/11/2021), four (4) membership applications were unanimously approved. To date, PhilWiki Community has forty-three (43) members.
- Wikimedia: Burabod nin kaaraman. Pagkarahay Tres page
- WikiGap: Closing the Digital Gender Gap YouTube. Uploaded on March 6, 2021
- Kintab Artist Group, Inc. holds 2nd Pagkarahay Art Festival amid the pandemic by Ana-Liza S. Macatangay. Philippine Information Agency. Published on March 10, 2021