You can read this page in your own language on the Movement Strategy Forum.
Global Approach for Local Skill Development
In order to Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, we need a coordinated leadership development plan. While the term “leadership” can be interpreted differently and sometimes negatively, leadership roles are essential for any movement, and there are plenty of them in the Wikimedia organizations, committees, boards, etc. This initiative is about building an established process to document those roles and to train more people to fill them. This will help renew leaders, avoid burnout, increase diversity and, importantly, help leaders to support their communities in context, giving them much needed subsidiarity . This process would also involve seeking out new potential leaders, and providing them with training at the local and regional levels (for example: through hubs)
There is currently an active committee called the Leadership Development Working Group, which is closely related to this initiative.
Criar um plano de desenvolvimento de liderança sistemático e coordenado globalmente. Isto nos obriga a:
- Estabelecer um processo para compreender e modelar a liderança de acordo com as habilidades necessárias em cada contexto.
- Dispor de ferramentas ou processos baseados no engajamento voluntário existente que apóiem as comunidades na identificação de potenciais líderes.
- Convidar líderes em potencial de outros movimentos sociais para diversificar e enriquecer o Movimento através do compartilhamento de experiências.
- Promover opções de treinamento (por exemplo, online, pessoalmente) em nível local e regional para permitir que os indivíduos adquiram habilidades de liderança relevantes para suas comunidades.
- Criar um esboço dos papéis e habilidades que contextualmente encoraja a autogovernança e assegura a subsidiariedade para fortalecer as comunidades.
Apply for a Movement Strategy implementation grant to create a project that advances this initiative.
If you need help in getting involved, please don't hesitate to get in touch directly with members of the Movement Strategy and Governance Team. They are here to help!
You can write to the team in any of 19 languages (listed on the team's page), by writing an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
<div id="Implementation Projects" class="main-block">
|Initiative||Project||Stakeholder type||Project lead||Geography of the project||Implementation Phase|
|33. Leadership development plan||Overall Initiative Coordination|
|33. Leadership development plan||Leadership Development Working Group||WMF||Community Development||Pilot|
|33. Leadership development plan||Consensus Making with Musyawarah-Mufakat (Indonesia)||Chapter||Wikimedia Indonesia||Execution & Implementation|
|33. Leadership development plan||Leadership development actions - WM Chile||Chapter||WM Chile||Latin America & The Caribbean||Completion & Reporting|
|33. Leadership development plan||Training of Brazilian Leaders||User group||Wiki Movement Brazil User Group||Latin America & The Caribbean||Implementation|
Related documents and discussions
Some of the past discussions, texts and old versions of Movement Strategy recommendations that can provide further context to this initiative:
- Capacity building recommendation #8: Mentoring and leadership development
- Community Health recommendation #3: Building the leadership of the future
- Diversity recommendation #4: Planned community diversification
- Partnerships recommendation #11: Invest in the leadership potential of community members
- Roles & Responsibilities recommendation #7: Capacity building