The Movement Charter will be a document defining roles and responsibilities for all the members and entities of the Wikimedia Movement, including laying out a new Global Council for movement governance. The Movement Charter is a Movement Strategy priority. A broad ratification process is expected for its adoption.
According to the strategy recommendations, the Movement Charter would:
- Lay the values, principles and policy basis for Movement structures, including the roles and responsibilities of the Global Council, regional and thematic hubs, as well as other existing and new entities and decision-making bodies,
- Set requirements and criteria for decisions and processes that are Movement-wide to be legitimate and trusted by all stakeholders, e.g. for
- Maintaining safe collaborative environments,
- Ensuring Movement-wide revenue generation and distribution,
- Giving a common direction on how resources should be allocated with appropriate accountability mechanisms.
- Defining how communities work together and are accountable to each other.
- Setting expectations for participation and the rights of participants.
Why do we need a Movement Charter?Edit
We are a diverse and growing movement, and we need to include more diversity in decision-making processes. We aim to improve trust and coordination between the participants in our movement. We want to share a common framework to work together and to achieve the Strategic Direction.
We are developing a Charter for the whole movement. We need participation from all corners of the world, and especially from the groups traditionally underrepresented in our movement. We need to hear different perspectives to understand where we agree and where further conversations are needed.
- Every perspective is unique and helps to better understand what Wikimedia really is
- Everyone has different expectations for the future of the movement
- Important decisions must be made regarding the future of the movement - your voice contributes to making informed decisions.
How to participate?Edit