Learning patterns/How to create or edit an article in terms of gender approach
A learning pattern foreducation-GLAM activities
How to create or edit an article in terms of gender approach
problemWikipedia faces the challenge of approaching properly the gender gap issue in terms of its content.
solutionTo implement a series of tips while editing Wikipedia to include the gender perspective within the articles
creator• Anna Torres (WMAR)
created on18:21, 16 December 2015 (UTC)
What is the solution?Edit
Before each activity that may involve editing and improve Wikipedia and its content we can follow this little guide of how to write an article in the encyclopedia considering the gender issue:
- Title: To name a woman’s article by her maiden name and then clarify whether she acquired a married name in the article.
- Women are not defined by their status as a male companion: the reference to being a woman, daughter, mother or wife may appear in the personal life section, but not necessarily in the introduction. Start introductions by describing their contributions, activities and achievements, not their gender, or family status.
- Do not use the term "woman of", use "husband and wife" or "husband" or "partner" or "partners" according to the circumstances. You can say "is married to someone" instead of "is the wife of" because a woman does not belong to a man.
- Do not give prominence to the civil status of the subject of the biography. This data may be mentioned in the body of the article, as it is done in the biographies of men.
- Do not use the term "female" in the description: e.g. female writer, women's writing.
- Do not use nicknames as Amalita or Anita, name the subject by her surname, as it is done in the biographies of men.
- Do not use photos of their husband, father or male relative. Do not use photos of their husband or father to ilustrate the article better (as it was done here). Use only photos of the woman being depicted whenever possible.
Things to considerEdit
When to useEdit
Can be used while giving a worshop on how to edit, before an edit-a-thon, can be included in editing guides etc.
- I am interested Jaluj (talk) 16:35, 2 March 2016 (UTC)
- ProtoplasmaKid (WM-MX) (talk) 13:11, 7 May 2016 (UTC)
- Luisalvaz (talk) 20:30, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
- I think is interesting. JoRgE-1987 (talk) 21:03, 18 October 2016 (UTC)
- Rauletemunoz 15:42, 2 March 2017 (UTC)
- Yes, I think is an important goal Camelia.boban (talk) 05:57, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
- --A. SADIQUI (Talk) 17:49, 7 October 2019 (UTC)