Learning patterns/How to avoid abandoning the course when your students have intellectual or mental disabilities
What problem does this solve?Edit
Rehabilitation of the mentally ill is a huge challenge. Teaching mental health patients can be very difficult, patients tend to abandon the course and you may feel frustrated.
What is the solution?Edit
Don't accept everybody, you can choose your students.
Things to considerEdit
- After the referral from the professional, conduct individual interviews to select the students before you initiate the course.
- To work with psychiatric patients it is necessary to have a lot of patience.
- There is a lot of time that should be used to explain the concepts, much more than with a normal person.
- The wiki software is so complex that it is convenient that patients first practice in Word before uploading the material to the web.
- The patients often understand different, you must explain details that with other users you would take for granted or you would never think.
- Evaluate the real possibilities of the patient to attend the course. If a relative should bring him/her, interview him/her first to see if he/she is willing to comply.
- You have to understand that patients come and go and you must accept them, it is part of their pathology.
When to useEdit
When you are interested in teaching editing Wikimedia projects to mental health patients and you are worried about the non-participation. You are interested in support healthy diversity in the editing community.
- How to write a report when working with mental health patients
- How to choose patients for an editing teaching course
- Wikimedia young projects in therapy settings with psychiatric patients
- Creation of an editing workshop or course with patients in an institution
- Working with psychiatric patients in an editing workshop