Wikipedia Student Association (WSA) is more like student clubs run in many colleges and educational institutions. Since Mangalore University wants to call it as Association, this name has been coined. Here students do many activities around Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects. This is slightly different from the Wikipedia in Education Program (WEP) wherein students write articles in Wikipedia and get marks towards internal assessments. In WSA also they write articles, but they do more than that. The list of activities are-
- Opening account in Wikipedia
- Typing some pages in Wikisource
- Writing article(s) in Wikipedia
- Managing Wikipedia stall during tech fests, literary and cultural events (be present there all days, give a demonstration of Wikipedia & Wikisource for visitors, help in creating an account for interested, guide them in Wikipedia editing)
- Volunteering during Wikipedia outreach programs (helping during the training programs at other colleges, Wikipedia workshops, editathons, etc)
- Participation in photowalks (participating, uploading photos to Commons)
- Participation in conferences/seminars (participating in seminars/conferences related to Wikipedia in their College or other colleges)
- Presenting during seminars/conferences (presenting a paper at seminars/conferences related to Wikipedia)
- Writing articles/reports of their activities in media (print or online)
- Giving interviews or talking about Wikipedia/Wikimedia to media (print, web, radio, TV)
- Bringing out newsletters about the Association activities
Karavali Wikimedians User Group has designed the framework of WSA and guiding colleges interested in running WSA.
Colleges and institutesEdit
- Alva's College Moodabidire is the first college to initiate a Wikipedia Student Association (WSA). The details are here.
- St Aloysius College Wikipedia Association 2019-20. The details are here.