Hi, GoEThe! Thank you for submitting this rapid grant request. We have received a high volume of requests, which may delay our review. We appreciate your patience and will respond to your request as soon as possible.
- Please note that grantees are no longer permitted to give out cash prizes. Please edit your application to specify whether you will be giving prizes as gift cards, vouchers, gift certificates, or items.
Please check this page for additional comments and questions as we review the application and please feel free to reach out to us with questions; we are here to help with a successful grant application! Best regards, LSmith (WMF) (talk) 18:10, 18 March 2019 (UTC)
- Hi, @LSmith (WMF):. Just wanted to make sure that you saw this change and if it addresses your comment, and ask if there is an update on the status of the application. We would like to start advertising the competition and didn't want to advertise awards if we will not get the grant. Looking forward to hear from you! Cheers, GoEThe (talk) 10:46, 5 April 2019 (UTC)
- Hi, GoEThe, thank you for notifying me of this change, and my apologies for my slow reply; I was on holiday. I do not make funding decisions, but I will remind our rapid grants program officers that this application needs review. They will reply with a decision as soon as possible. Warmly, LSmith (WMF) (talk) 19:30, 17 April 2019 (UTC)
Further comments from WMFEdit
Hello, GoEThe; thank you for submitting this grant proposal and for your patience with our review process.
We have the following comments:
- We appreciate your effort in locating a venue free of charge and keeping the catering costs low.
- We also appreciate the adjustment you made on the proposal to address LSmith (WMF)’s comment on gift-giving guidelines. Before publishing the contest guidelines, you should make sure that the prizes you describe match your logistics capacity and the grant reporting guidelines. For example, whereas it would be nice for winners to be able to choose how to spend their prize, you will need to submit the receipts of purchases as part of your final report, which could make things complicated for you as organizers.
One final question:
- You have shared the rationale for Alessandro’s travel; can you please give us more details about the travel of users from Porto and Paulo from Funchal?
Once we receive your response, our processing time will be much quicker. Regards, MMontes (WMF).
- Hi @MMontes (WMF):. Thank you for your comments. We will make sure that in the contest guidelines we emphasize the need to send us the receipts of purchase before we can reimburse them.
- The Lisbon event is about transfer of skills and capacity building for not only our partner institutions but also for Paulo and the Porto group. We will provide training in Wikidata and Wikipedia, but will also receive training in Wikidata, Scholia use and OpenStreetMap/Wikidata integration, among other competencies. A number of our members from Lisbon will be attending, but as they currently mostly have experience with Wikipedia, they will be receiving training in all the rest.
- Regards, GoEThe (talk) 21:16, 19 April 2019 (UTC)
- @MMontes (WMF): Hi, what we are planning is a capacity building & reach out activity mainly focused on Wikidata, but also Scholia, OSM and even Wikipedia. It's aimed at our national Wikimedia community, and at some of our main partners (National Library of Portugal and Fundação Oriente, which already confirmed their participation), and the institution hosting it, NOVA (Universidade Nova de Lisboa), one of the most prominent universities of Portugal. We are also working to arrange funding for one of our members who has done a project on Scholia to come over from Las Palmas to Lisbon (not part of this budget) and participate on this. My participation as well as who we can get from Porto (including a WMPT member who is also a member of the OSM community) would be very important, as we need to improve our capacities on Wikidata (mainly related to the use of Wikidata in educational projects, in Wiki Loves contests, presentations using Scholia, and preparation for WikiScience contest). Our Wikimedia community in Lisbon (about 3-4 members) which is currently not Wikidata wise, is also expected to participate and receive formation on those subjects. So the event will have components for newbie and intermediate users, but also a number of advanced features. As it will be held in the new Carcavelos campus of Nova, it will have a strong component of reach out, as librarians, teachers and students from the campus are expected (and confirmed) to participate. For the day of seminars, we have already confirmation of talks by a National Library librarians, and librarians and teachers from NOVA. We hope to add to those Alessandro and Ivan (if we manage to get funding to his travel, on a local grant). The event is expected to take 3 days. I and the Porto members will participate actively on the 2 hackaton/workshop days, and expect to be present as learners (or possibly co-presenters, depending on the final format) on the seminar day.
- It really is a great opportunity for capacity building, outreach, further consolidation of new and existing partnerships, and our nr 1 priority, which is the expansion and consolitaion of our Wikimedia community. Can you please speed up the evaluation of the grant, because traveling costs are getting higher by the day? :|
- Thanks, --- Darwin Ahoy! 17:02, 26 April 2019 (UTC)
Move grant end to 1 SeptemberEdit
Hi, the judges have not yet decided on the winners of WLE, so we would like to request an extension until 1 September as the end date of this grant, so that we have time to get a final decision from judges, contact winners and get receipts of the awards. Another option would be for us to pay the money to Wikimedia Spain, who is co-organizing the competition with us, and they will give us a receipt and arrange to distribute prizes directly with the winners. GoEThe (talk) 13:21, 24 June 2019 (UTC)
Approval of new end dateEdit
Hello GoEThe, thank you for letting us know the changes in your end date. I am approving your request. Your final report and expense documentation will now be due on October 1, 2019. Best regards, WJifar (WMF) (talk) 20:17, 24 June 2019 (UTC)