Hi Athikhun.suw. Thanks for this request and all your work organizing the proposal! We have a few questions below and look forward to your responses. We just reviewed your 2016 grant report and there are a few questions we left on the discussion page that are relevant to this proposal.
- One of your measures of success for the photo contests is that "at least 10% of the uploads are quality images and will be used in various project over a period of time". This is a great goal, but also ambitious considering the previous year's usage rate. What will you do differently this year? An associate writing contest or prizes for photo integration can be good motivators!
- Last year's participation in Wikipedia Asia Month was down slightly from the year before. What will you do differently to increase awareness about the contest and participation?
- In terms of merchandise we can send t-shirts, stickers and buttons. You can see the "collections" we offer here, but you can also customize the order. Unfortunately it is too expensive to ship heavy items like mugs.
@AWang (WMF): Thank you for rapid approval of the report. Here are responses to your questions:
- We admit that there is a challenge for the uploads to be used in various projects. This year we plan with User:AddisWang for the Asian Month to include photo activities (add a photo to an existing article or write a new article for an existing photo) as part of contribution. Hopefully this would increase the usage rate of the uploaded media.
- A longer advertisement period before the contest might help increase the number of participants. More appealing awards may be provided as incentive to participate. We will look into it again later this year.
- I'm afraid that the shipping cost (and customs/import tax) would cost more than the actual cost of the merchandise especially for larger items such as t-shirts.
- Alternatively, we can locally make them in Thailand. We already have a number of t-shirts left from last year's budget.
- If we get a grant to attend Wikimania, we will also be able to pick up some large (and small) items from there. Otherwise, we would request that you send pens, pins and stickers with the declared value <=THB1000 (<USD29) per package to us via USPS .
Hi Athikhun.suw. Thanks so much for your quick response. We are happy to approve this request. I would definitely consider a prize for photo integration in the photo contests themselves. And please do let us know when/if you need us to send merchandise. We still look forward to your responses on the 2016 report. Cheers, Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 20:19, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
The Wiki Science Competition 2017Edit
We are invited to join "The Wiki Science Competition 2017" and we accept to bring Thailand to participate in the competition subject to availability of funding from this grant.
- Please allow the grant to be used for the purpose of this third photo competition.
- Please allow us to use "Exhibition/promotion" and "Meetups" categories to cover "Awards".
- At this point, we do not expect our spending to exceed the approved budget.