Grants talk:PEG/Wikimedians of Republic of Srpska/Projects of Wikimedians of Republic of Srpska for period of July 11st to August 14st 2016
GAC members decisionsEdit
GAC members who support this requestEdit
GAC members who support this request with adjustmentsEdit
GAC members who oppose this requestEdit
GAC members who abstain from voting/commentEdit
Who will receive these brochures? I think that number of brochures isn't a nice measure of success itself: number of new wiki-members is better for me. What do you think? rubin16 (talk) 12:07, 5 June 2016 (UTC)
- Hi rubin16, thanks you for your comments and question!
- These mentioned brochures will be used by the students, professors, and the representatives of GLAM institutions and the other interested users. They will be let to the users on the edit-a-thon, on the seminars and meetings. We think that they will be useful for the new users to adopt their knowledge from the workshops, using the brochures. That will help them while creating the articles by themselves. The brochures for Education Program Case Studies will also help us a lot in wide the educational projects in our country and including the larger number of educational institutions in cooperation. Successful stories of the other colleges who included the Wikimedia`s projects in their work and so made it better will have motivational meaning to professors. We can`t surely say the correct number of new users because it is the changebal number. We chose to print 175 copies of every brochure because that number is the same as the number of our expected users in our future projects.--Bojana Wiki PG (talk) 20:27, 17 June 2016 (UTC)
Hi Bojana Wiki PG, thank you the effort you have put into creating this request. It is great that your community has become more active in the last several months by planning a variety of projects and contests. We have a few questions about the plans you have described:
- In general we recommend that groups keep printing of brochures to a minimum and instead, direct people to pdfs of brochures and resources online. However, we understand that in some cases, it is important to have printed materials. Which of the brochures from your list do you think are most important to print?
- Have you considered making one brochure that covers basic information and includes links to online resources?
- Are you planning to translate or update any of the brochures?
- Education program leaders have reported that teachers seem to be most interested in reading case studies and examples of classroom projects that have been done in their country. It might be a good idea to begin collecting case studies from your education programs online and think about printing a small collection of them in the future.
- Will the contest you have proposed run at the same time as the Trace of a Soul contests?
- How is the new contest different from the Trace of a Soul contest?
We look forward to getting a little more information about your plans. Please let us know if you have any questions or would like suggestions for other alternatives to printing brochures. Cheers, --KHarold (WMF) (talk) 00:15, 9 June 2016 (UTC)
- Hi Kacie, thanks you for your comments and question! Following are the answers to your questions.
- Being analyzed the present situation of being interested in work on Wikimedia`s projects from our experience and in order with our plans, we chose to print the brochures we mentioned this time. Because of educational projects and the next educational activities we need the most:
- As one of our goals is also to attract new wiki-members, we think that mentioned brochures will help us in the easier making of our goals and getting the new users. Through our getting experiences, we noticed that people prefer printed literature and materials than electronic literature. If they have the brochures with details for work in Wikimedia, we believe that the number of users would be higher in that way. The brochures would help the users to improve their knowledge about editing and creating the articles by themselves, without giving up after the first problem made because the user forgot one of the segment of creating the new or editing the article which is almost created.
- We were thinking about that possibility, thinking about the fact that people today want to get the information easily and at the same moment we made the conclusion that if we made the brochures with the links, nobody would use it and `wasting time` finding it in the searcher. There is one more reason, during the work with the students and the other users of our workshops, we noticed that the users prefer the printing form. We thought about the best solution and we decided to put the links of e-brochures on our site as they would be available by one click for the population that prefers the electronic literature. We will also put the links to e-materials on the last page of every brochure.
- All the brochures will be update and on "ijekavian" pronunciation of Serbian language, which is used in our country as one of the official languages.
- We like the idea. The situation is the same in our country. The teachers are the most interested in concrete examples of successful cooperation in the range of educational projects. We will think about the idea to collect the studies of case and create our own brochure, when we have the enough number of educational activities at the end of the year. It would be a good step.
- The competition Meet the Republic of Srpska, will all be at the same time with one part of competition Trace of a Soul. We have a photo tours and edit-a-thon in both competitions. The time of these activities will be different, just like a thematic of tasks. In the range of competition Meet the Republic of Srpska the article with advance created categories which are connected with the Republic of Srpska will be created. While in the competition Trace of Soul will be written the articles just about cultural-historical and natural monuments of Republic of Srpska.
- Trace of Soul is photograph competition which main goal is to enrich Wikimedia Commons by photographs of natural and cultural monuments of Republic of Srpska. Edition of competition and marathon Meet the Republic of Srpska is about writing the articles on sr. Wikipedia about the topics connected to Republic of Srpska which will be put in the categories politics, sport, music etc.
- Both competitions have the photo tours which will enrich the base of photographs and they will complete the articles created in both competitions. They will be different by themes. In the range of the project Trace of Soul the photo tours will lead to taking photos of protecting natural and cultural-historical monuments of Republic of Srpska while the tour in the range of project Meet the Republic of Srpska will lead to taking photos of monuments and everything that is connected to Republic of Srpska and is not put in Wikimedia Commons. Photo tours will be organized in different parts of Republic of Srpska. All mentioned things will enable better meeting with Republic of Srpska.--Bojana Wiki PG (talk) 20:46, 17 June 2016 (UTC)
- Hi Bojana Wiki PG. Thank you for the additional details. Can you please update the budget based on the two priority brochures? Past grantee experience has shown that running multiple contests at once can lead to lower outcomes for both and organizer burnout. If you do want to do them at different times, you can apply for a Rapid Grant once Trace of a Soul is finished. However, we understand that the two contests are on different topics and in different regions of the Republic of Srpska and are willing to support this new contest now if that what the community wants. Once the budget and total amount is updated on the grant page, and confirmation about the contest, we can move forward with approval. Thanks, Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 17:48, 22 June 2016 (UTC)
- Done. --Bojana Wiki PG (talk) 18:49, 23 June 2016 (UTC)