Grants talk:PEG/Wikimedia Ireland Community/Wiki Loves Monuments Ireland 2014/Report
The Wikimedia Community Ireland has an ambitious outreach program planned for this year. We plan on hosted at least 7 edit-a-thons over the next 12 months, 2 of which are confirmed. Members of our team are scheduled to speak at 2 conferences about Wikimedia over the next 12 months. We are also reaching out to several GLAM organisations to start building relationships with Wikimedia. We are not a chapter yet, so we have no funds to facilitate these activities. We would like to request that the remaining funds from our WLM grant be put towards these activities.
Grant Time Period: 8 February 2015-31 December 2015
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Office Supplies||Laptop Stickers||200||2||80||160||EUR||We would like to have stickers to give out at our various events to promote the group|
|2||Office Supplies||Printing Costs||200||EUR||We will need to have printed materials for several of our events|
|3||Technology||Chromebook Laptops||1||4||400||1600||EUR||We plan on running at least 7 edit-a-thons this year. We would like to have laptops available for participants to use|
|4||Technology||4G WiFi Boxes||1||2||180||360||EUR||Several of our venues do not have WiFi. We would like to have 4G WiFi boxes for our events|
|5||Travel Costs||1||3||75||300||EUR||Several of our group are giving presentations at conferences throughout Ireland. We would like to be able to cover their travel costs|
|6||Miscellaneous||74.67||EUR||These funds would be used for any extra costs that occur over the next year|
Total amount to be reallocated: €2694.67
Thanks so much for this report and congrats on a successful Wiki Loves Monuments! We're happy to hear you had so many new participants and a lot of new monuments were covered. We have a number of follow-up questions/comments below:
- It's great to hear that local volunteers were able to organize 5 walks during the contest period!
- Regarding the time needed for judges to sort through submissions, the Colombian team created a tool to make this process more efficient. I've asked them here if this tool can be expanded and shared across the movement.
- Global metrics #4 is the use of photos in articles. You can find that number using the Glamorous tool. According to the tool, of the 1,928 total images in the category "Images from Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 in Ireland", 106 images (5%) have been used in articles 253 times. The Global Metric should be 253.
- Where did you post the flyers and do you think they were an effective method for outreach?
- Thank you for the documentation of expenses. The only receipt I can connect to the awards and launch events is the one for glassware. Are there other receipts?
- In terms of the reallocation request, you will need to submit a new grant request for that level of activity. We will need to have greater detail around the goals of the editathons, purpose and expected outcome for participating in the conferences, and types/need for printed materials. We would also need more detail around the rational for equipment purchases as this is not something we typically fund. You may hold on to the remaining funds if you plan on submitting a grant request in the next 30 days. We are focusing on planning and funding for the Inspire Grants Campaign February 1-April 30th, but would consider this request during that timeframe if it is time sensitive.
- Thank you for your feedback. We were very pleased with the outcome of the contest, but it was much more work than we had anticipated. To address the points listed above:
- We were very happy about this as well. This was something we organised through Heritage Week and we will be sure to repeat it in 2015.
- It would be great to have a tool for the judges to use. That was one of the most time consuming part of the contest.
- I have changed the information on Global Metrics #4.
- The flyers were given out at events we held during the contest period as well as at events that we attended. I think media publicity would have been a far more effective way of promoting the contest. Our original idea was to have the flyers posted at Universities and libraries throughout Ireland but we just didn't have enough volunteers to do that.
- There should be 3 receipts for the events (one of which I just sent!): glassware, wine, and insurance. I split the wine cost between the 2 events since we used it for both. The glassware was for the launch event and the insurance is under the awards event. I hope that clarifies things.
- I will put in the Grant request for the remaining funds. If it helps with the Inspire Campaign at least 2 of our edit-a-thons will be geared towards improving articles on women in STEM and female historical figures in Ireland. Also, our Community group is led by 2 women!
- Hi Sameichel. Thanks for your responses and for sending the additional receipt. Here is a good Learning Pattern on media outreach: Let the media know. We're very happy to hear you're focusing some of your editathons on women in STEM/history and you have female community leaders! Cheers, Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 18:30, 2 February 2015 (UTC)