Grants:PEG/Wikimedia Ireland Community/Wiki Loves Monuments Ireland 2014/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
- We held two events in Dublin to promote and celebrate the contest. In August we hosted a Launch Event. We had approximately 25 attendees which included a government minister and the head of the Office of Public Works. The launch event was covered by several news outlets, including RTE, the national television station. In November we hosted an awards event. The attendance was smaller, about 20, with 6 of the 10 winners attending. This was also covered by local media. We encouraged groups throughout the country to host photowalks to their local monuments We had 5 walks during the contest period. The media coverage can be found here: http://www.wikilovesmonuments.ie/in-the-news-2/
- What worked well?
- We spent a lot of our time in the run-up to the contest creating maps on our site with location data for all 500+ monuments in the contest. We received positive feedback from many of the participants about how useful the maps were in finding the monuments, so this was time well spent. We also had ongoing support from our partners during the contest. Not only did they show interest, checking in with us frequently, they also continually promoted the contest.
- What didn't work?
- Our outreach to the general public was not as good as it could have been. We promoted the contest well before it began and for the first few weeks, but fell off towards the end. This was mostly due to lack of volunteers to carry the load. We also had some issues with the judging, specifically making it easy for the judges to sort and rank the photos. With over 1900 photos, this was a large task for them.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- For the 2015 contest we would like to improve in the following ways:
- Recruit more volunteers to help with the day to day tasks during the contest
- Develop and easy way for the judges to sort and rate the images
- Do a better job promoting throughout the entire competition, specifically on social media
- Encourage more events to be organised throughout the country, not just in Dublin
Outcomes and impactEdit
- Provide the original project goal here.
- Primary Goal: To increase the quantity and quality of images of Irish cultural landmarks in Wikimedia Commons.
- Secondary Goal: To raise awareness and interest in and support for the Wikimedia Ireland Community group.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- Primary Goal: We reached our primary goal. We increased the number of images of Irish National Monuments found on Wikipedia by 1928. 46% of the images uploaded were of monuments that previously had no image on Wikipedia. We increased the quality of images as well.
- Secondary Goal: We also reached our secondary goal. We increased our outreach on all channels, with an increase of subscribers to the mailing list, followers on Twitter, and likes on Facebook. We have also be approached by several institutions requesting that we run events for them in response to the media attention this contest gave us.
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|200 participants with more than 75% new users||256 participants, 217 newly registered, 85% new users|
|2000 images uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||2015 images uploaded-1928 qualified images||We had 2015 images uploaded using the Upload Wizard during the contest period. 87 images were disqualified from the contest because they were not on the eligible monuments list|
|Increase the quality images to 50%. Increase the total percentage of images of Irish National monuments from 58% to 85%||Total percentage of images of Irish National monuments increased to 83%||271 monuments were represented in the images uploaded during the contest. 125 of those monuments did not previously have an image on Wikimedia Commons|
|Support from at least 2 GLAM institutions||Support from 2 GLAM institutes and 3 heritage organisations||2 GLAM institutions hosted our launch event and award event. We also had 3 heritage organisations give us support during the contest through advertisement and promotion of the contest|
|The Wikimedia Ireland mailing list currently stands at 93, Twitter followers at 38 and our Facebook page will become active when we officially launch the WLM competition.
We would like to see significant increases across all these channels, particularly the mailing list
|Mailing List: 103 Twitter followers: 347 Facebook Likes: 153||We have increased our outreach through all channels, though the increase is not as much as we would have liked|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||39 active editors|
|2. # of new editors||217 newly registered users|
|3. # of individuals involved||256 participants|
|4. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||253 images|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||3504 edits|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||7777.7 megabytes|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- We certainly motivated contributors during the course of the event. Whether this will result in long term motivation remains to be seen
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
We believe that we have impacted on all three of the above options. We dramatically increased participation in Ireland on Wikimedia Commons with 217 newly registered participants. We improved the quality and quantity of images of Ireland monuments on Wikimedia Commons. We also increased the reach of Wikimedia Commons to our participants
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Office Supplies||Flyers||500||1||45||45||75||EUR||Under Budget by 30. We found a local printer who agreed to do the job for less than the initial quote|
|2||Office Supplies||Winning Images Posters||10||1||147.60||147.60||300||EUR||Under Budget by 152.40. We cut the amount by going with a small local company|
|3||Office Supplies||Stickers||200||1||80||80||100||EUR||Under Budget by 20. The printer gave a discount because we printed our flyers with them as well|
|4||Office Supplies||Name Tags||25||1||11||11||11||EUR||On Budget|
|5||Office Supplies||Postage||27.23||27.23||300||EUR||Under Budget by 272.77. The flyers were delivered in person by several members of the team. All but 4 of the winners attended the Awards Event so prizes did not have to be posted|
|6||Awards||Prizes for Best Photos||500||500||550||EUR||Under Budget by 50. The photographers of the photos that placed 9th and 10th failed to get in contact for their prize. Several attempts were made through November and December|
|7||Catering||Launch Event||224.01||224.01||500||EUR||Under Budget by 275.99. The venue was free for use but our cost for glass rental was higher than expected. One of our members provided AV equipment free of charge|
|8||Catering||Awards Event||427.49||427.49||1700||EUR||Under Budget by 1272.51. This event was much smaller than initially intended. The venue and AV equipment were at no cost. We used supplemented the refreshments with those left over from the launch. The insurance was slightly higher than budgeted.|
|9||Technology||Domain Registration||56||56||56||EUR||On Budget|
|10||Technology||Wordpress Multi-Lingual Tool||29||29||60||EUR||Under Budget by 31. The cost of this was over-estimated|
|11||Travel||Jury Travel Costs||1||3||0||0||225||EUR||Under Budget by 225. The judges residing outside of Dublin were unable to attend the awards event|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- Total amount spent on this project
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- We received a grant for €1000 from the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht to promote the event.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- We would like to submit a request for reallocation to use the remaining funds for upcoming events. I have placed a budget chart on the discussion page.