Grants talk:PEG/WM ES/GLAMing Madrid
GAC members who support this requestEdit
- I hope that you will succeed rubin16 (talk) 19:45, 17 February 2015 (UTC)
- good luck, my suggestion is to consider this a pilot and attract volunteers to do a similar sequel-project(s) --DerekvG (talk) 13:45, 10 March 2015 (UTC)
GAC members who oppose this requestEdit
GAC members who abstain from voting/commentEdit
Comments by Kiril SimeonovskiEdit
Thanks for the submission. First of all, it is impressive to see that a single Wikimedian plans to carry out all these activities and I give special credit to it. Regarding the grant request, I find that there are some aspects of it that need further clarification and therefore I have the following questions:
- What is the position of Wikimedia España on these activities? Do the local chapter support it? Why this is submitted by an individual rather than an organisation? You mention on your user page that you're founding member of Wikimedia España and its board member since 2011, so I suppose that you're familiar with the activities done within the chapter and can reveal more information on why these are not included in the chapter's GLAM programme.
- Do you have an insight on the number of articles about artifacts from the museums that do not exist on Wikipedia? What about the number of existing articles which lack images? Do you plan to engage the community in creating new and improving the existing articles? Your measure states 100 articles from each institution, which translates to a total of 300 articles assuming that only the three mentioned institutions are going to be covered.
- Have you got an agreement on recording the concerts of classical music from the XIX century? This may be a usual problem and many institutions do not allow it without prior agreement.
- Hi Kiril, thanks for your comments.
- Wikimedia España supports the project from the beginning, when I talked about the possibility of collaboration with these institutions. Although it´s an individual proposal, I consider it a chapter activity and it would appear in the reports and diffusion. The reason of submitting it by me is because I avoid a possible conflict of interest (due to I´m board member). As well, in this manner WMES doesn´t need an employee at the moment and the funds go directly to me.
- We don´t have a number of articles without images or about artefacts, but after an overview we assume it´s high due to these institutions are very poor represented on Wikimedia projects. My plan to engage the community is through the training sessions (public and staff), where people can create and improve the articles. These sessions would be announced in the Village pump of es:wp to attract contributors online.
- About the recordings, I talked to the institution and they gave me the permission to do it, in fact they liked very much the proposal; the institution has a chamber quartet who regularly attends the museum, so there is a real chance to do it.
- Regards.--Rodelar (talk) 11:45, 4 February 2015 (UTC)
Hi and thanks for the proposal :) I just want to clarify some points to understand the impact better:
- how much media do you expect to get uploaded to Commons? I saw information about articles improved but it would be nice to see some absolute amounts of images, recordings, etc. in total
- Iberoconf presents a significant part of the budget but what results do you expect from your presentation there? What will be the measure of success?
- Hi Rubin16, and thanks for your comments. We don´t have an absolute amount of files; it will depends, firstly, on how much content their legal department allows them, and secondly, of the number of articles improved due to the images or recordings are for ilustrate them: we estimate 100 for each institution, so at least 300 in total. The part for Iberoconf only if it takes place, if not it won´t be spent. My task would be offer a presentation about the results of the project, offer it as a model for future actitivities and encourage and support other members to develop similar initiatives in their country. Regards. --Rodelar (talk) 19:02, 8 February 2015 (UTC)
Hi Rodelar. Thank you for this grant request and for engaging in the discussion thus far. It is an exciting project doing capacity building work for multiple institutions and you obviously have a lot of support from both your local community and the broader Spanish Wikipedia community. Your experience, especially with the WikiArs project, positions you well for success. We have a few questions regarding the proposal and look forward to your responses:
- We understand that you have applied for this grant as an individual to avoid conflict of interest as a WMES board member. However, you mention above that you consider this a "chapter activity". If you will present yourself as a representative of Wikimedia Espana and work in the name of the chapter (possibly signing MOU's with these institutions, which we recommend), then there is still a conflict of interest. If that is your intent, then we would ask you to step off the board of WMES and work as a contractor to WMES. If all of the activities will truly be done by you as an individual, with no affiliation to the chapter than we can grant you this as an individual. Please let us know.
- We are excited to support the trainings, talks and relationship development, but we cannot fund you to write articles, as this constitutes paid content creation. Please remove this item from the plan/budget.
- Have each of the institutions committed to supporting their employees to participate in the workshops and events? It would be best to have more than 1 staff person per institution trained to avoid a loss of institutional knowledge if this person leaves. Is the goal for these institutions to develop Wikimedia programs for the longer-term?
- Can you provide more details regarding "highlight and focus on the most important Spanish female figures of the XIX century from Spain"? Does this mean some of the editing workshops will focus on this topic?
- Please remove the budget for travel to Iberoconf. If the project is a success, it would make sense for you to attend the conference as one of the two delegates from WMES.
- Please provide more details on how you calculated the costs for events.
- Thanks Alex. I will prepare an answer shortly. --Rodelar (talk) 19:02, 19 February 2015 (UTC)
- Hi Alex:
- After discuss it with the rest of the chapter and at a board meeting, we´ve decided submit the grant as WMES: I´ll work for WMES as freelance and I´ll step off the board, so no conflict of interest if I develop de project or facilitate the signing of the MOU. We´ve modified the title of the submission and the budget, due to work for the chapter implies more taxes.
- This is a misunderstanding of my English. I apologize. What I meant is that I will work with people, and train them to become editors themselves. I will not be directly involved in editing for this project beyond standard edits that take place during training, corrections, and the upload and organization of files in Commons.
- Yes, I have had conversations with them all about this issue. They see Wikimedia projects as an important component to share knowledge about their niche area of Spanish culture. They see an alignment in the mission of freely sharing knowledge. This type of open access to the public is being pushed behind the scenes because the improvement and dissemination of free content related to public institutions is way to add value to the public historical heritage thanks to regular access to Wikimedia projects through Internet. For that reason, they consider important that some of their workers learn the values of the Wikimedia movement and the characteristics of the projects, so that in the future they can collaborate by themselves.
- The Museo del Romanticismo is focused in the XIX century in Spain, so when we planned the develop of the training sessions and similar activities we thought in focusing them in the museum itself and history of Spain in XIX century (authors, painters, musicians..) and some of the sessions will be dedicated to the most important female figures among them.
- I´ve removed the budget for Iberoconf, hoping to attend the conference as one of the two delegates from WMES.
- It depends on the event, but for example organize an edit-a-thon includes brochures and merchandising for the participants (50€) and coffee break or lunch (aprox 10€ per person, like this one http://www.guiacatering.com/mesa-de-temporada-catering-vweb-1189.html). For others, for example recording classical music, we will need a recorder (One similar to this http://www.amazon.es/Sony-ICDPX333-CE7-Grabadora-incorporado-TransFlash/dp/B00BOK931C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424649520&sr=1-1&keywords=grabadora+digital). --Rodelar (talk) 22:46, 6 March 2015 (UTC)
- Resolution about my resignation as board member: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Espa%C3%B1a/Resolutions#Resolution_about_the_resignation_of_Rub.C3.A9n_Ojeda_as_member_of_the_WMES_Board . --Rodelar (talk) 10:31, 13 March 2015 (UTC)