Thanks for getting this off the ground, Winifred.
By my calculation, the GAC has approved $196,994 this financial year. That leaves $203,006 in the bucket, given a total allocation of $400,000. Is this correct? Tony (talk) 06:37, 8 November 2012 (UTC)
- Hi, Tony: your calculation of USD 196,994 for grants awarded in FY 2012 - 2013 is correct, and is consistent with my records. I will also ask Asaf to verify the total allocation. Thanks for your work on improving the table. Regards, Wolliff (talk) 00:42, 9 November 2012 (UTC)
- Yes, the total is correct. Whereas we may see a need to increase the original budget allocation if external factors (e.g. FDC allocations) dictate a need, we do aim to avoid overspending the budget (which we did last year, again due to external factors, chiefly the board decision on fundraising which changed financial reality for many grantees), so this remaining amount can also inform GAC deliberations on current and future requests. Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 01:03, 9 November 2012 (UTC)
Wikimedia Kenya start up grantEdit
It is my undertsanding that Wikimedia Kenya has returned/is yet to return some money to Wikimedia Foundation. If that's the case, then this amount should be updated and deducted from what was originally funded (which is the amount that is currently shown in the Grants Table) to Wikimedia Kenya, for purposes of portraying a true, fair and accurate accounting figure. Abbasjnr (talk) 09:57, 20 November 2012 (UTC)
- +1. I think a thermometer-like (or anything else that's visual) progress bar at the top of the page showing 1) how much WMF has allocated for the Grants Program (for this financial year), 2) how much has been used, and 3) how much money is remaining. Abbasjnr (talk) 19:21, 21 November 2012 (UTC)
Protocol for "past due" and "incomplete" reportsEdit
I'm wondering what the procedure is. For 2011–12, five reports are overdue—three of them due quite a while ago. Is there a system of reminder emails, such as at two weeks, four weeks, and eight weeks, with an ultimatum at 12 weeks? How is the "black mark" recorded against an entity or individual or group of individuals who accept donor money without the required reporting? Tony (talk) 02:24, 22 December 2012 (UTC)
Response to TonyEdit
Hello, Tony. Thanks for the question!
First, note that a report is moved to incomplete if a grantee is not responsive for a period of greater than 21 days, if the grantee refuses to provide the information requested on the discussion page, or if a report is submitted without the required information. When we move reports to incomplete, we write a note on the discussion page of the report explaining the reason why the report has been classified as incomplete, and also write to the grantee as a courtesy if an Email address has been provided. If a grantee is not responsive, we will continue to contact the grantee by Email until a response is received.
Here's a brief overview of our current protocol around past due reports:
- Our current practice is to inform grantees of reporting requirements and due dates at the time they sign the grant agreement. Reporting requirements are also referred to in the grant agreement. In addition, we sometimes send a courtesy reminder 7 - 21 days before a report is due.
- Once a report is past due, we contact the grantee on a regular basis until the report is received. The frequency of contact depends upon the availability of staff and the situation specific to each grantee: once we implement a new grants tracking system reminders / requests will be sent more regularly (likely every 7 days until a report is received). If a grantee is unresponsive, we may contact the organization's board or may reach out to other volunteers who can help.
- Once a grant report is submitted, the report's status changes from "incomplete" or "past due" to "under review", and WMF staff records the date the report is received (which is also a matter of public record on-wiki). Hence, it is also recorded when a grantee submits a report late or on time.
- WMF will not approve grants to organizations, groups, or individuals that have not met past reporting requirements. Therefore, entities, groups, or individuals that apply for funding frequently have a strong incentive to complete reports.
- Entities seeking funds from the FDC must complete all grant reports due in order to be eligible to apply for FDC funding.
- When an entity with a potential problem with respect to past reporting applies for new funding through the WMF Grants Program, we immediately reach out to the entity to ensure they have an opportunity to meet reporting requirements.
- In case reporting requirements were not met in time to review the new funding request, WMF staff would bring this to the attention of the GAC before denying the new request on that basis.
Summary of past due reportsEdit
- For 2012-2013, no reports are past due.
- For 2011-2012, the following reports are past due:
- WM PH/Chapter startup 2: grantee has indicated that report is almost complete
- WM RS/Capacity building project for the first half of 2012: grantee has indicated that report is forthcoming
- WM US-NYC/Short term funding program: grantee unresponsive
- GLAM NARA/Events fund: grantee unresponsive
- Sudhanwa/CMDA IT Expo, Pune: grantee has indicated that report is forthcoming
- Consumer Reports/Wikipedian in Residence: recently past due, waiting on response from grantee
- For 2010-2011, the following reports are past due:
- WM US-NYC/Internship Program 3: grantee unresponsive
- WM US-NYC/Kick start supplement: grantee unresponsive
- WM US-DC/GLAM-MCN outreach: grantee unresponsive (note that this is a grant to the protochapter, not to WMUS-DC)
- WM US-DC/WikiXDC: grantee unresponsive (note that this is a grant to the protochapter, not to WMUS-DC)
#WM IN/Newsletter - not a chapter grant: grantee has indicated that the report is in progress- submitted on 4 Jan 2013 (01:18, 5 January 2013 (UTC))
Summary of incomplete reportsEdit
- For 2012-2013, no reports are incomplete.
- For 2011-2012, the following reports are incomplete:
- WM NO/Outreach GLAM: discussion reopened and ongoing
- For 2010-2011, the following reports are incomplete:
- WM San Francisco/West Coast Wikicon: classified as incomplete because grantee has been unresponsive to requests for information on the discussion page
- WM ID/Wikimedia Cipta: discussion reopened and ongoing
- For 2009-2010, the following reports are incomplete:
- WM US-NYC/Wikipedia Takes Manhattan: grantee unresponsive
- WM US-NYC/Internship Program: grantee unresponsive
- WM US-NYC/Internship Program expansion: grantee unresponsive
We're still confident that we can eventually obtain each and every one of the reports listed above, so we haven't yet had a need to take stronger action against unresponsive grantees. Hope this provides a little clarity, and happy to elaborate if you have any more questions. Regards, Winifred Olliff (Grants Administrator) talk 00:42, 3 January 2013 (UTC)
Updates to these tablesEdit
Apologies for not updating these tables recently. I've tweaked the format of the tables a little because it makes it more efficient for us to pull the data from our internal records. This will help me to keep this tables more regularly up to date. The tables for 2010-11 and 2009-10 are still in the old format, but I've added the up-to-date information for those fiscal years . I hope to update those tables soon so they're all in the same format.
I've included below an update on incomplete and past due reports. We have a few grantees that are unresponsive and others that are working actively with us to get back in compliance.
Update on late reports on 27 June 2013Edit
Grants:CMNT/WikipediaMA - unresponsive- cancelled, funds returned to WMF Grants:Kannan Shanmugham - Malayalam Wikipedia/10th Birthday Celebrations -- accepted unresponsiveworking with WMF
Grants:WM US-NYC/Events Grant Reapportionment - unresponsive- accepted
- Grants:Stephen Wanjau - Wikimedians in Kenya/Start-up - unresponsive
Grants:WM US-NYC/Short term funding program- accepted
Grants:WM US-NYC/Kick start supplement - unresponsive- accepted Grants:Katie Filbert - Wikimedians in DC/GLAM-MCN outreach - unresponsive- accepted Grants:Katie Filbert - Wikimedians in DC/WikiXDC - unresponsive- under review
No past due reports.
Update on incomplete reports on 27 June 2013Edit
No incomplete reports.
Grants:WM PH/Chapter startup 2 - grantee is working with WMF- accepted Grants:ITOCA/Train-the-trainer South Africa workshop - grantee is working with WMF- accepted
Grants:Wikimedia Cipta - grantee is working with WMF- provisionally accepted
Update on incomplete and past due reports - February 2014Edit
Update on incomplete and past due reports for previous fiscal years - February 2014Edit
We have made a lot of progress. We now have only 6 reports that are incomplete or past due for previous fiscal years.
The following reports are incomplete or past due:
- Grants:WM_HK/Education_Toolkits_For_Liberal_Studies - No plans to submit indicated.
- Grants:PEG/WM_MX/Iberoconf_2013 - Plan to submit by mid-February.
- Grants:PEG/WM_MX/Start-Up - Plan to submit by mid-February.
- Grants:PEG/Iván_Martínez/Wiki_Loves_Monuments_México_exhibition - Plan to submit by mid-February.
- Grants:PEG/Glam/Batak - No plans to submit indicated.
- Grants:PEG/WM_KE/Start-up - No plans to submit indicated.
Update on incomplete and past due reports for current fiscal year - February 2014Edit
3 reports in the current fiscal year and past due, and we have been in touch with each of the grantees and have formed a plan to submit these reports by mid-February: