Grants talk:PEG/Shared Knowledge/Wiki Loves Monuments 2015 in Macedonia
GAC members who support this requestEdit
- The team is experienced, the request seems to be match the relation costs/benefits. --Ilario (talk) 09:04, 24 August 2015 (UTC)
- agree with Ilario --DerekvG (talk) 14:31, 5 September 2015 (UTC)
GAC members who support this request with adjustmentsEdit
GAC members who oppose this requestEdit
GAC members who abstain from voting/commentEdit
I know that Macedonian wikipedians are good in photographing, as I saw their photos from previous WLE and WLM competitions. And as I participated in well organized CEE WikiCamp in Macedonia few weeks ago, I know that they can and will do their best. But related to this grant proposal I think that budget is a little bit inflated. For example for gifts and prizes in WLM Latvia 2015 and WLM Spain 2015 they need just 650-670 euros. Or they plan to give jury members only gifts, it's cheaper and I think more reasonable.--Wertuose (talk) 04:59, 28 August 2015 (UTC)
Comment Thank you for kind words. The budget is pretty much the same as before, especially the funds for awards. We have found that this works better than giving other kinds of awards and we want to stick to it, as it gives us the results it may not give if we lower the prizes. Cheers --B. Jankuloski (talk) 08:51, 29 August 2015 (UTC)
Thank you for your proposal. You have been so successful at surpassing goals around quantity of images from contests, so we are excited to see what you will accomplish focusing on quality images this year. Please see the comments below and let us know if you have any questions.
- Comment Thank you for the questions! Here are our answers:
- Can you explain the goal around the number of monuments photographed? Do you have information about how many have been photographed already? Are you doing anything to encourage participants to photograph new or different (unphotographed) monuments?
- Comment We estimate that far about 60% of monuments have been photophraphed. To encourage participants to take pictures of the other 40%, we intend to use the social media platforms, telling them that we need those images, and that they will be much appreciated. If this is factored in the jury selection process, we think it will be a right step towards addressing that issue.
- Since your main goal is not number of photos but instead focusing on increasing quality of photos, which is great, it would be good to have a goal around the percentage of images in use. Last year this was 3%. Considering this is your second year of WLM, it would be good to set your goal to 5 to 10% images in use.
- Comment We decided to give a measure of the number of photographs used in articles, rather than a percentage. See the answer below.
- Goal of adding 200 new articles might be a little high? Did you mean adding 200 images to articles? It would be great if at the editathon you encourage participants to write or improve articles about monuments in addition to adding images.
- Comment Thank you for the correction. We meant 200 images added to articles. It was a typing error.
- We do not think it is necessary to create a new video tutorial on uploading images, please use the same one from last year.
- Merchandise, i.e. coffee mugs should be reserved for volunteers who helped manage the contest.
Comment We are ok with that, yes.
- It looks like you will be giving a higher prize for top photograph this year, and fewer prizes for those who take the most photos. Has the team thought about offering a prize for the person who photographs the most new (unphotographed) monuments? This is just an idea, feel free proceed as planned.
- Comment We offer prizes only for quality this year. We have abolished the quantitative category, as we already have lots of photos and we decided to focus on quality and content. What you suggest marries both content quality and quantity togeher, and is a great idea, and we intend to implement it on the next 'wiki loves' contest.
- Have you found a less time-intensive solution to categorizing images? Is anything being done to encourage contributors to provide accurate descriptions of submissions? These are both challenges that you have reported in past years.
- Comment There were talks about making it a rule to have coordinates turned-on while making pictures, so that then, a template may connect it to a database such as Wikidata or GeoHack, WikiMiniAtlas etc. and have place names description drawn from them. We have also always stated the description as a prerequisite in the rules. The other thing we can do for now is remind people about it in our social media posts. The issue in general isn't that bad, but it requires more thinking and work.
- Are there any plans to promote the contest in September? In 2014 report suggests that the contest would benefit from more promotion or media than last year. Your team has such strong social media channels, I hope that you can use them to promote the contest.
- Comment The contest is being promoted (since the beginning of September) in the media and especially, on dedicated Facebook group as we ll as our own Wikipedia group with lots of subscribers. As I have also mentioned elsewhere, we would be much more successful with this if we can manage to convince Facebook to lift the severe paywall restriction for the number of people that can see the posts. I intend to talk about it at the CEE Meeting this year.
Request for extensionEdit
We are requesting an extension of this project until 15 October because of the logistical issues arising from the approval that came later than it would have ordinarily come. We believe that this will bring far better results than the ones so far, which are rather poor. We could not announce the prizes on time, and we believe that people lost some interest. Now that we have the project approved and prize information is published, we think that we need extra time for participation to pick up.
Hi B. Jankuloski, your request for an extension through 15 October has been approved. We hope that the extension helps improve participation. Cheers --KHarold (WMF) (talk) 19:46, 18 September 2015 (UTC)