Grants talk:PEG/Satdeep Gill/Punjabi Wiki Workshop Chandigarh
GAC members who support this requestEdit
- go for it, make it work Wikifriends from the punjab --DerekvG (talk) 18:57, 6 September 2015 (UTC)
- support --Violetova (talk) 15:40, 10 September 2015 (UTC)
- --Ilario (talk) 14:55, 12 September 2015 (UTC)
GAC members who support this request with adjustmentsEdit
GAC members who oppose this requestEdit
GAC members who abstain from voting/commentEdit
Workshops are helpful to inform the students about the Wikipedia i hope this will help you to extend the community.
You are applying on behalf of Punjabi Wikimedians but i could not find that much information about this group. Is it related to the India Chapter? or affiliated group under WMF?
i think you are applying for two different event, one is the workshop and another if the meet up of the current Wikimedians? If it is a workshop for the students of the university then i think giving travel scholarship and bring all the 20 active Wikimedians to the capital is not necessary.
- Hello Nasir, Yes we will be organizing a presentation for a bigger audience in the first session. After that we will have workshop to teach some selected individuals who are interested. We will also be having a meet up at the place and the existing editors will attend various sessions in which they will be taught about different projects, tool and gadgets which they can use to contribute in a better way.
As of now Punjabi Wikimedians is just a name we have given to the contributors from the Punjabi Community. We might apply for becoming a user group in near future. --Satdeep Gill (talk) 08:31, 5 September 2015 (UTC)
- Hi Nasir Khan Saikat, Wikimedia India has a mandate to support all Indian language Wikimedia projects including Punjabi. Satdeep Gill approached Wikimedia India first before applying for this grant. Wikimedia India has been a strong supporter of Punjabi community activities but we were unable to fund this event in time due to issues not pertaining to this grant. I am endorsing this grant request on behalf of the chapter now.--Ravidreams (WMIN) (talk) 15:20, 15 September 2015 (UTC)
Travel, accommodation and foodEdit
Hi Punjabi Wikimedians, I am optimist that your event will go well. However, there are some questions I do not understand well.
- You are asking for:
- Travel Scholarships for 20 persons, - Accommodation (2 nights) for 10 persons - Food and beverages for 25 persons (except the lunch for hundred persons or for everyone at the venue on first day). It looks like you will invite 20 persons to travel to Chandigarh, but you will pay for 10 of them to sleep there (will the others have where to sleep?), but regular meals will get 5 persons plus. Can you clarify this numbers?
- Do you have regulations on how you will choose to whom you will grant scholarship or this is only for active Punjabi Wikimedians? If there is other rules, please say something about that.
- Hi, Violetova.
- Travel Scholarships is for 20 persons and we are going to lodge them on twin-sharing basis. So, basically the price shown is per room. Moreover we are still looking for cheaper alternatives for everything. We are trying to collaborate with the University to host the event. 5 plus persons is because we have 2-3 editors from the Host City only and plus 2 more persons can be from the University as we are going to collaborate with them.
- As far as the granting the scholarship is concerned, we would like to invite all those who are interested in Wikipedia movement. We don't have a large number of editors to choose from, so we will want all the active editors to participate in the workshop. Most of the editors we are going to invite will be current editors but we would invite some editors who edited in the past but are inactive now. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. This is the first Workshop of this kind that we are organizing. This will help us to plan for Conference of Punjabi Wikipedia in 2016. --Satdeep Gill (talk) 14:29, 10 September 2015 (UTC)
- To facilitate the Wikipedian interacting with community or going to field for first hand information for various projects, the idea of issuing Identity Cards to the active editors from central or regional admin office may be discussed as one of agenda item;
- Preparation of short term and long term future action plan and roadmap may also be included as agenda item.
- We may also think of calling some expert/representative from Indian Wikipedia office .
- "Competitions and Editathons organized in the past: All these have shown results which were noted by communities all over the world."—Could we have evidence of this, please? And not so much "noted" results, but the actual results (e.g. uploads, article work, active editor numbers)?
- How will you attract the "new editors" to this event?
- Do you have any notion of the current gender gap on the Punjabi Wikipedia?
- How many women do you expect to attend?
- Is there a knowledge of thematic weaknesses on the Punjabi WP, and the ways in which articles generally need to be improved. Is there any plan to target these through the event?
- Who will conduct the editathons? How long will they be? Will they concentrate just on article creation (I hope not), or will they deal with the skills needed for aticle improvement? What kind of exercises and explanations will they comprise?
- Unsure what this means: (USD) 1381.84319
- Could we have euro or US$ equivalents in the budget?
- How will pencils, pens and badges increase editor activity and article quality and coverage on the Punjabi WP?
Reply ot Tony1Edit
Hi, Tony thanks for the questions you have asked. Let me try to answer them one by one.
- Punjabi Wikipedia Article Writing Competition (November 2014) was the first competition ever on Punjabi Wikipedia and it was during this month that the number of active editors(1 edit) crossed 100 editors for the first time. Some editors created articles on less common topics on Punjabi Wikipedia such as Physics, Forensic Science. One editor also created articles on some sweet dishes.
- During Punjabi Wikipedia 13th Anniversary Edit-a-thon more than 200 articles were created in one month. Rank of Punjabi Wikipedia according to the list of Wikipedias by Sample of Articles improved from 92 to 83.
- We are trying to patch up with the Punjabi Department of the Panjab University. By this way students of the department will automatically participate in this. Besides this we are hoping that some students from other Departments will participate as well. We will be doing a bit of advertisement for this as well.
- During Punjabi Wikipedia International Women's Day Edit-a-thon 16 editor participated and 7 out of them were Females. This was supposed to be the highest male-female ratio in Indic Wikipedias.
- We have about 25 active editors as of now. We are expecting around 6 female editors to attend the event.
- Punjabi Wikipedia has most of its content related to Literature and Languages but recently we have seen new editors who create articles related to different fields. One of the editors in creating articles related to Computers which was lacking a lot. Another editor is creating articles related to Forensic Science as she felt that no study material was available in Punjabi. During this event we plan to improve the skills of our editors. They need to learn about Visual Editor, Content Translation and various other tools.
- I have been conducting editathons with the help of follow editors. I generally prefer month long editathons.
- I am sorry for this. Let's say it is US$ 1382.
- Well, i know this one is not directly proportional to the article quality. But we have not distributed much swag and we have been doing zero budget events in the past. So, maybe giving a few of these things will not harm much. We are asking for T-shirts and maybe you can send this stuff along. Anyway such stationary stuff is always required for such events. --Satdeep Gill (talk) 12:35, 7 September 2015 (UTC)
- (1) OK, early days for the Punjabi WP. Somewhere I've seen lists of advice for early/small WPs, but I can't remember where. Just as an aside, do you have any editors who translate articles from other WPs?
- (4/5) Sounds good. I suspect that care and thought and effort need to go into creating a welcoming and productive environment for female editors, even though the early signs are encouraging.
- (6) It does seem that article creation might be better left aside, since you're aiming for a range of editor skills. If you do deal with creation, I suggest keeping it very short, given that sessions can only be so long in duration. Month-long editathons? Surely not. I'm expecting 2 hours with a short break in the middle, or something like that.
- (7) Thanks. Rounding the figure is excellent.
- (8) No idea how to interpret the budget, without euros or US$.
- (9) Unsure why stationary is required. It's online.
Another Reply to Tony1:
- Many of us translate articles from English Wikipedia. We have worked on the List of 1000 articles every Wikipedia should have. We will be working on the list of 10,000 articles soon.
- Yes, we feel like creating a welcoming environment for Female editors. We have been told by Wikimedia India that we have the highest male:female ratio in Indic Communities.
- Well, during the workshop we will have a small editathon when we teach everyone to use Content Translation tool. Rest, we will plan about other Edit-a-thons.
- It is 1382 US Dollars. In Euros it becomes 1222.
- We will be having many sessions about various tools and gadgets. Editors might want to note down a few things. If it seems insignificant then it is no so important.
As for the Press Coverage is concerned, we will call a few journalists from different Punjabi newspapers. We have seen good coverage recently. This Sunday there were two articles in two different newspapers about Punjabi Wikipedia and one of them was front page.--Satdeep Gill (talk) 11:19, 15 September 2015 (UTC)
- Satdeep, thanks. You might at some stage consider publicising a target for the gender ratio on the Punjabi WP, something for people to work towards over the next, say, two years. "Welcoming environment", of course, involves both on-wiki and off-wiki environments. Translation stuff sounds good. Press coverage—I think WMF staff might be able to give advice. My feeling is that journalists love it when you email them the text for a whole story, because it makes their day easier just having to modify it rather than write it from scratch. One or two personal aspects, and a few "quotes" from people, always go well. Tony (talk) 05:42, 16 September 2015 (UTC)
Hi Satdeep. It is exciting to see Punjabi Wikimedians building momentum in planning activities in the last several months. Thank you to the GAC and community members who have asked questions and endorsed the request, the responses have been helpful for understanding the scope of the proposed event and it is good to see that the community has the support of WMIN.
- Can you clarify how many people you expect to participate in conference, and also include a more detailed schedule for proposed sessions?
- How did your community choose the topics or sessions included in the proposal? Have you identified people who can lead sessions on how to use different tools?
- It sounds like the outreach portion of the conference will be targeted at students who attend the host school, and that there may be some requirement for them to attend. Do you have a plan to follow up with students after the event to encourage them to begin or continue contributing?
- We recommend that travel scholarships be reserved for active contributors.
- Have you checked on the cost of printing t-shirts or other promotional items locally?
- Several of the sessions or activities proposed include teaching active contributors how to use new tools, and planning future work and partnerships. Have you considered using a survey after the conference to learn how many participants began using new tools or skills after the conference? This information will likely be helpful for future event plans and can be used as an indicator of success.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to learning more about this event, and supporting the community of Punjabi Wikimedians. Cheers! --KHarold (WMF) (talk) 00:55, 19 September 2015 (UTC)
- Hi Kacie. Thanks a lot for supporting us. This is our first PEG request so we are still learning. Here are the answers to the questions chronologically.
- We are expecting around 100 participants in the first session and then after lunch we are going to have several sessions for Current Editors of Punjabi Wikipedia plus a few more interested people. We are expecting around 30 participants in the preceding sessions.
- I, Parveer Grewal and Charan Gill have discussed a few things in personal meetings. We are going to have a meetup in a few days where we will finalize everything. I am planning to tell everybody about the Content Translation Tool and maybe VisualEditor as well. We need to teach the editors about Talkpages, various Gadgets, Competitions, other Wiki Projects, etc. So, yes a lot of planning is required.
- Yes, we have plans to follow up with the interested students. We already have an editors in the institution who is helping us in organizing the event. We also have another editor in the host city. Actually before this event every meetup has happened in Patiala. Editors from Chandigarh wanted to create a group of their own for having regular meetups.
- Yes, we will giving scholarships to active contributors plus some editors who have burned out for some random reason in the past and would like to join us. Most of them will be active contributors.
- Well, no i haven't checked that now. I tried that last year but it was a bit costly so WMIN sent us the T-shirts from Bangalore. I am thinking that we wont distribute the T-shirts on the day of the workshop. I am planning a month long editathon and will distribute the t-shirts after that. So, maybe we can plan this later. I know shipping so much stuff is more costly.
- This is a brilliant idea. I will surely create a survey after the conference.
- Hi Satdeep, we are pleased to approve the request for funds for the Punjabi Wiki Workshop Changigargh. We can continue to discuss the request for t-shirts and swag for this and upcoming events as you get a better idea of what is needed. Remember to plan ahead to avoid issues with the six-account limit in workshops for new users. We hope you have a successful event!--KHarold (WMF) (talk) 20:49, 23 September 2015 (UTC)