Grants talk:PEG/Ahmed Mohi El din&May Hachem93/Wikipedia education program UAE
GAC members decisionsEdit
GAC members who support this requestEdit
GAC members who support this request with adjustmentsEdit
GAC members who oppose this requestEdit
- I join comments below but place my voice here: I think we should think about sustainability and it will be hard to achieve it here. Furthermore, we still have no comments from grantees... rubin16 (talk) 13:17, 22 May 2016 (UTC)
GAC members who abstain from voting/commentEdit
- I've read, but I am not decided yet... Interesting idea, but I have various concerns, mostly addressed by Kacie below. For the time being until replies there, this is just a note that I've reviewed the submission...
— Danny B. 23:50, 9 May 2016 (UTC)
Hi May and Ahmed thank you for submitting this request. Typically we do not approve requests for funding for travel to lead workshops or to do outreach because it is hard to build a sustainable program without having local volunteers. We understand that you have been successful in mentoring new users online after workshops and that the government in the UAE who you are working with want to develop a successful Wikipedia in Education program there. Please answer the questions below so that we can get a better understanding of how you will start and support an education program following these workshops.
- The proposal says that you will be starting an education program in the UAE. Will you do anything in addition to the workshops to start the program? Are there teachers, school staff or volunteers in the area who will lead the program after the workshops are over?
- How will you continue to engage with students after returning to Egypt?
- How were students selected, and how many sessions will each student attend?
- Will students be given school credit for their work? If not, what will you do to motivate them?
- The links in the community notification section go to education program pages, not to any community notification about your specific project. Have you discussed your plans with the Arabic community on Wiki, a mailing list, Facebook group or somewhere else?
Hi KHarold (WMF) sorry for the delay I was out of the town.
- No we don't have volunteers there, if we have any volunteers there we will not going to do it from Egypt? You should know that we have chosen UAE because the education program will be our base there.Base to attract volunteers (students, professors and teachers).Base to launchpad other Wikimedia projects.
- We will engage with them like we do with the students in Egypt we are using Facebook, Skype and YouTube even in Egypt we made online workshops, so I think engage with students will not be a problem for us.
- We aren't going to choose the students, as we agreed with them that they will invite students from many universities to attend the workshops focusing on the department of linguistics and department of history. We will divide the students into 7 groups every group will have 7 hours of training.
- We are trying to manage it, but till now no, our motivation will be
- Increase the Arabic content on the internet.
- Share the knowledge with the Arab world.
- Wikipedia education program certificate.
- We discussed it personally with many people from the Arabic community during wikiAribia, Wikimedia conference and Facebook.