Grants:PEG/Ahmed Mohi El din&May Hachem93/Wikipedia education program UAE
- Start a new Wikipedia Education Program
- Increase awareness about Wikimedia projects especially Arabic Wikipedia
- Increase the reach of Wikimedia projects within the Emirati community
- Promote the quality and quantity of Arabic contents on the web within the scope of Wikimedia Foundation projects.
- Attract more contributors. Consequently, contributions in Arabic Wikipedia will increase the gender gap in participation percentages will decrease
As a result of our activity new Wikipedia education program will establish in new place. More than 7 workshops will be held from 20ː25 person will attend the workshop that's mean we are talking about 150ː175 new editor will join Wikipedia. More people will be introduced to Wikimedia foundation projects and more programs will start in new places.
- Run 7 workshops for students wishing to participate in Wikipedia, teaching them the skills needed to create and edit articles on Wikipedia. Participants will be taught what a wiki is and how to use it, including research skills, editing skills, wiki syntax and referencing. They will also be instructed on how to engage in critical reading and write balanced articles.
- The impact of the Wikipedia Education Program which focuses on using Wikipedia as a way to deliver information to readers.
- We believe that by having more Emiratis Students contributing to Wikipedia, we will be able to give a representation of and information about Emirati life, culture, and society to the rest of the world. This will contribute to a new authentic Arabic content in Wikipedia.
- University students (including post graduate)
- People who are very interested in increasing Arabic content on internet
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
Increasing participationː This program will increase the number of editors in the Arabic Community
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- Total 30 of participants for the sessions with needed knowledge to edit and add to Wikipedia
- To make Wikipedia a household name and an online Wikipedia known to the average female student in a Universities.
- To get at least 30 new active female contributors for Wikipedia.
- Create new articles and develop existing stubs or articles for every Girl.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risksEdit
we will do the online mentorship and following up using below resources:
As Wikipedia Education Program in Egypt is an example of a program in the Arab World and the world we will give our best to make this program one of the best Education program in Arab world.
Our first time starting this project in UAE, but we discussed this project deeply with many professors and tried to apply their own experiences on the project.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Ahmed Mohi El din||May Hachem93|
|Travel (round trip airfare from Cairo to Ras Al khima)||$409||$409|
|Accommodation x 9||$999||$999|
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
Department of economic development in Ras Al Khaimah will cover the expenses of workshops, hosting students, media coverage and workshops materials
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.