Grants:TPS/kshehari/TEACHING TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING 4
I have recently started working on an action research project aiming at using Wikipedia in teaching translation. I am going to present my experience with the use of Wikipedia in training translators which I had conducted last year at Durham University. I am going to share my experience with academics and colleagues who will come to this specialist conference from all over the world. The use of Wikipedia as a source of knowledge in academia started to get more attention recently, yet still poorly cared for in the field of translation pedagogy. My presentation will aim at two things: first, to share my experience and to collaborate with colleagues on improving it, and secondly, to contribute to the ongoing debates currently going on about the use of Wikipedia as a reliable and efficient resource of knowledge.
Goal and expected impactEdit
As a result of my presentation, everyone in the audience, who are mainly from academia, will become aware of how effective and useful Wikipedia is as a resource and a tool in teaching translation. I am planning by attending this event to establish contacts with colleagues who teach translation at universities in different parts of the world and to start liaising with them for a more collective work towards a more efficient use of Wikipedia in our classes. At the end of the day, translating Wikipedia articles into other languages (Arabic, in my case) by trainee translators with supervision of their trainers and other professional translators would contribute to the main mission of Wikipedia.
- Travel (round trip airfare from Newcastle (NCL) to Warsaw (WAW)): GBP
- Travel (round trip train from Durham to Newcastle and Warsaw to Lodz): GBP
(paid by the School of Modern Languages at Durham University)(two nights in Lodz and one night in Warsaw): GBP 165
- Food and Local Travel: GBP 20 * 4 days = GBP 80
- Conference Fee: Euro 100 = GBP 80
- Total: GBP
- Paid by the School of Modern Languages and Cultures at Durham University: GBP 150
- Paid by myself: GBP
- Total of fund requested from Wikimedia: GBP 428
- I just wanted to write a quick endorsement for Dr. Khaled's (Kshehari) request. We have been in touch ever since he started his class on-wiki, first through the Education Noticeboard on English Wikipedia, and then creating a course page for his group on Arabic Wikipedia. It's great to see a professor who takes initiative and dives into a project that gets students to translate materials that are freely accessible online and not just turned in for a grade and thrown into the recycling bin. I'm also very excited to see him try to share his experiences with his colleagues in academia, sharing his learnings and hopefully motivating others to do similar innovative initiatives. Happy to provide further endorsement or information that would be helpful in considering this request! Tighe (talk) 13:25, 22 September 2014 (UTC)