Grants:TPS/Mompati Dikunwane/World telecommunication and information society day 2017
Proposed participation edit
I am an active wikipedian with a good experience in Wikimedia and its sister projects. I have been invited to the World telecommunication and information society day 2017 by the organisers (Botswana telecomms/ Be-mobile operator) (See the discussion page for the pdf invitation) to participate in the World telecommunication and information society day 2017 and the operator has agreed to partner with our initiatives to engage the Girls in ICT to contribute to Wikipedia. I will be given a short time slot to present about Wikimedia and its sister projects, giving a keynote on how to contribute to Wikimedia in order to improve the content of Botswana through online activities using Wikipedia tools and explaining how easy it is to get involved or participate in the Wikimedia projects. Be-mobile operator as one of the organisers of the event is one of the operators i have forwarded the proposal for the Wikipedia Zero initiative to secure partnership in the zero project in order to provide users with free access to Wikipedia information without any data charges using their sim-card, therefore they have invited me to talk about Wikimedia and its sister projects, how people can get involved in order to participate to improve the online content of BOtswana and the Wikipedia library at large.
Girls in ICT is an initiative by Be-mobile operator to encourage more girls and women to participate in information communication technology programs, in that way it is a great chance to merge the initiative with the Wiki initiatives to also increase the participation of girls and Women in contributing to Wikipedia.I will be in a position to organise a training session for the girls in ICT after the event, to learn what Wikipedia is and how to be a part of it and how easy it is to contribute to Wikipedia.
Goal and expected impact edit
- To create awareness about Wikipedia and its Sister projects and engage the Girls in ICT in contributing to Wikimedia and its sister projects.
- To meet up with the mobile operators and share the Wikipedia Zero initiative for partnership agreement.
- Everyone will be aware of Wikipedia and will consider helping out to develop the online content of Botswana using Wikipedia tools.
- As a result of the event, other operators may be interested in the Wikipedia Zero initiative and more people will be engaged into these initiatives.
Budget breakdown edit
- Air fare to and from Gaborone to Francistown: $400
- Transport fare (Francistown to and from Masunga Village) : USD 75
- Accomodation: (4 nights from 17th to 21th which is the end of the event) $180/night * 4 nights = $720
- Per diem: 4 * $70 = $280 (The fourth day I will start a mini demonstration of how to contribute to Wikimedia with the girls in ICT by be mobile)
Total = $ 720 + $400 + $75 +$280
Other instructions edit
- Advance disbursement is required