Welcome back from Wikimania 2017!
pt.wikipedia, eo.wikipedia, eo.wiktionary
- Option 3: New Creation: What was one useful outcome that was created at the event for the Wikimedia movement?
As a result of this event, i started Projeto Índios do Brasil, a WikiProject at Portuguese Wikipedia for improving ~235 articles on Brazilian Indigenous Peoples. In this WikiProject, i'll have to apply (or get inputs from) some experiences and tools that were introduced to me during Wikimania:
- GLAM-partnerships: Wikimedia Canada experiences with Libraries and Archives can be implemented in Brazilian institutions, in order to share some old photographs and documents that bring useful information about the history of contact with some ethnic groups.
- Kathabhidhana and LinguaLibre: tools that may be very useful for recording audio samples of indigenous languages spoken in Brazil.
- Wikipetia Atikamekw: initiative in launching a new Wikipedia in a Canadian aboriginal language
During the event, I met some really interesting people, for example:
- AVrana (WMF) (talk · contribs), Strategic Partnerships
- JVargas (WMF) (talk · contribs), Strategic Partnerships
- Iopensa (talk · contribs), WikiAfrica
- Fuzheado (talk · contribs), public outreach events
- Benoit Rochon (talk · contribs), Project Wikipetia Atikamekw
- Ivan Filion (talk · contribs), GLAM-partnerships
- Horadrim~usurped (talk · contribs), Wikipedian-in-Residence
- Sturm (talk · contribs), general activities in Brazil
- Beria (talk · contribs), Wikimedia Commons
- Remux (talk · contribs), Esperanto Wikipedia activities, planning on a new meet-up in 2018
It was great to have the opportunity to attend WikiConference North America 2017 as well. I never contributed in a scan-a-thon before! I could see a little bit of how to organize it, and also had the chance to gather on a tour to the backroom archives of BAnQ and its rare materials. Loved it!
The honoring of Bassel Khartabil's work, the presentation of the New Palmyra Project and the bringing of the Tetrapylon 3D model were a breathtaking part of the Opening Cerimony. Congrats for that!