Grants:TPS/زكريا/eLearning Africa 2016
Proposed participation Edit
For a while now, I have been focusing on learning about the least time-consuming ways to edit Wikipedia, making edits in different major languages. Also, I have took into account conference and online community thoughts concerning "extensive" editing and "lose of appetite" for contribution. If members of an audience construct the idea of 'editing' as in 'as simple as tweeting', editing Wikipedia can turn into a habit (not easy to quit).
In the workshop I will 1) explain why it can be important for learning communities to 'edit' rather than 'tweet' knowledge, 2) hold a collective quick editing session, 3) present major Wikipedia initiatives in Africa (Wikipedia Education Program in Egypt), and 4), discuss with participants the initiatives, their interest in Wikipedia, possible involvement and benefits from being part of the Wikipedia community.
Goal and expected impact Edit
I will provide an assessment of the speed-editing approach in terms of audience member's interest and involvement. After having invited members to review edits they made in the workshop and see how their edits were treated, I will create a mailing list I will later notify of the changes, then recommend quick-editing tips from Wikipedia guidelines that will help them overcome the challenge and successfully bring into Wikipedia information they consider important.
Budget breakdown Edit
- Travel (round trip airfare from Casablanca, Morocco, to Cairo, Egypt): USD378.91 roundtrip
- (Kempinski - event venue) USD200 per nights x 4 nights (from May 23 to 27) = USD800;
- (other accommodation institutions: starting from USD7 per night; daily transport from and to the venue is relative to the accommodation institution's location and needs to be considered, I estimated USD100)
- Registration fee: € 150 (171.71 USD) -- details in discussion page -- JTud (WMF), Grants Administrator (talk) 17:31, 3 May 2016 (UTC)
- FareCompare, Kimpinsky
Other instructions Edit
- I would like flights and accommodation booked for me, and registration and participation fees paid.
- Zack's involvement in the Wikimedia movement, and his experiences and interventions in conferences such Wikimania in 2013 () and WikiArabia in 2015 () are major attouts for his participation in the eLearning Africa. I am happy to endorse Zack, and to see him represent the Wikipedian community in general, and in particularly our user group. --Reda benkhadra (talk) 21:37, 25 April 2016 (UTC)