Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Activate and grow the North Carolina Triangle Wikipedians User Group.
- Educate new and veteran editors on Wiki initiatives and issues.
- Build local awareness of Wikimedia activities within the region.
- Socialize with community members and build offline relationships.
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
We are planning to have a social event with brief presentations about using Wikipedia in the classroom and hosting edit-a-thons. This will be a good opportunity to talk with professors and librarians from UNC, Duke, NCSU, NCCU, and the other colleges in the area.
Potential speakers and topics include:
- Emily - library edit-a-thons
- Kasey - Wikipedia in the classroom
- Eric - HGAPS
- Therese - Women & Wikipedia
- Danielle - #1lib1ref
OptSus has a venue space that is centrally located in the Triangle which is being offered as an in-kind donation for this event.
After Wikipedia Day in January, attendees will be invited to join the local user group and attend meetings in February and March.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
Emails will be sent to contacts at the area universities with a PDF flyer for distribution on bulletin boards throughout the campuses and at the meeting venue.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
One of the primary goals is to have participants join the local user group and participate in monthly meetings with the group. For this reason, the expenses for the February and March meetings have been included here. Additionally, we will be encouraging more edit-a-thons and the use of Wikipedia in the classroom.
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
Specifics are still being worked out but we feel confident that this will work. In particular, we are working out date for this event in January.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Number of events: 3
- Number of participants: 25-50
- Number of new editors: 10
- A core group of local Wikimedians is identified and monthly meetings are scheduled
- We anticipate the following broad expenses:
- Snacks, food, beverages: $550
- Wikipedia Day: $300
- 2 additional meetings: $250
- In-state transportation for experienced Wikimedians to contribute ($500)
- Transportation reimbursement. Experienced Wikimedians from Asheville have expressed interest in attending.
- Printing, handouts, signage (for the event and for promotion), badges, markers, other materials ($75)
- Misc expenses/contingency: $75
- Snacks, food, beverages: $550
- Total: $1,200.
The meeting space for January, February, and March will be offered through an in-kind donation from OptSus.
- This would be helpful to promote the Wikimedia movement in an area where there is a lot that can be done in terms of collaboration with universities and other natural partners. TonyBallioni (talk) 23:29, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
- Super excited about this! We had a great grant recently approved for an outstanding edit a thon in Western NC for expanding the histories of holocaust survivors and this will be another great event to promote our groups activities, share successes and things we have learned from multiple edit a thons in 2018. Looking forward to hopefully speaking to new members and promoting wiki for its birthday in the research triangle and building a stronger support network for our events and conferences in the following year!!! Kayz! Kayz911 (talk) 06:10, 16 December 2018 (UTC)
- I have been working to establish a Wikipedians group in North Carolina since 2013. In that time, the local group of people who have contributed to Wikipedia has grown considerably. Much of this is due to the support of Emily, Eric, and Kasey who have hosted edit-a-thons, brought Wikipedia into their classrooms, and encouraged their colleagues to participate in Wikimedia projects. I would love to see this group come together for monthly planning meetings and begin coordinating our efforts in the year ahead - and Wikipedia Day is a great opportunity to bring everyone together. Frankcjones (talk) 14:38, 16 December 2018 (UTC)
- I excited to support the goals and activities planned. I look forward to being involved and getting others involved. No misunderstanding (talk) 16:23, 17 December 2018 (UTC)
- I support this project and its effort to bring Wikipedians in the Triangle together to edit and collaborate. Logan520 (talk) 14:40, 20 December 2018 (UTC)