- Celebrate Wikipedia's 19th birthday
- Activate and grow the Los Angeles User Group.
- Educate new and veteran editors on WP initiatives and issues.
- Build local awareness of Wikimedia activities within the region.
- Socialize with community members and build offline relationships.
- We will celebrate Wikipedia's birthday with cakes and a brief talk about the history of Wikipedia, as well as the 2030 strategy plan and other subjects related to Wikipedia/Wikimedia
- To activate and grow the Los Angeles user group, as well as build awareness of WM activities in the region, we will have a short presentation at the start of the day, and talk about our history, our plans, upcoming events, and the potential in Los Angeles. We'll also promote a project that's underway to write articles about (notable) restaurants in Los Angeles, and encourage people to get involved. We'll have sign up sheets at the event, and will collect email addresses to send attendees information about WMLA after the event.
- We encourage socialization at Wikipedia Day LA around cakes and breaks; we will also organize an off-site lunch for whoever is interested. I am also attempting to set up a post-event meet up at Two Bit Circus, and AR/VR bar/restaurant near the Ace.
- We will have a full day of thematic programming with panel discussions and keynotes.
1. What is your promotion plan?
We will promote the event on the WPLA Facebook page and Twitter feed, as well as through traditional media and outreach.
2. How will you let your community know about the promotion campaign? Posts on WM of LA page on meta; Geolocation notice; invite on WP-en; banner spam.
3.Do you have any experience in promoting Wikimedia projects either online or offline?
Yes, I have worked on WikiConference North America (2016) and WP Day LA 2017, 2018 and 2019.
We will receive an in-kind donation from the Ace Hotel. Organizers will be members of WMLA (and the LA community).
- Number of total participants: 75
- New editors recruited; experienced Wikipedians will offer to mentor people interested in editing. (Impact will be measured in hindsight; as we know, people get excited about editing and then go missing.)
- New members of WMLA recruited; impact will be demonstrated by additions to the membership secton of the WMLA page on meta.
- Develop events around conversations that take place at WP Day, including editathons. Success can be measured via events scheduled.
- Ace Hotel: rental space, staff support, soft beverages for 50, PR support, parking: $4200.00
- Coffee, tea, and beverages provided by Ace: $250. (Morning)
- Additional parking for volunteers/speakers/panelists: $300.00
- Snacks for attendees, purchased through the Ace Hotel, lunch for speakers/volunteers $300.
- Gratuities for Ace Hotel staff (porters, bartenders, valet, A/V assistant) $200.
- Materials such as posterboards, handouts, name badges, sharpies, copying, etc. $150
- A cake/cupcakes to celebrate Wikipedia's birthday! $350.
- Miscellaneous expenses (including bank fees) and volunteer reimbursement: $300.
- Total budget: $6050, less In-kind donation from the Ace Hotel: $4200., Funds requested: $1850.00 (Please see discussion page.)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Slowking4 (talk) 01:39, 16 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support Support a fellow user group in Southern California also having a Wikipedia Day event. The more events, the better!--RightCowLeftCoast (talk) 03:40, 16 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support In-kind donation of $4200 from Ace Hotel amplifies the funds requested by more than 2x, possibly for the biggest Wikipedia Day event in Southern California. -- Fuzheado (talk) 18:36, 16 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support Gamaliel (talk) 18:38, 16 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support This has been a major event, well-attended, in the Wiki LA calendar for at least a couple of year years. --Rosiestep (talk) 19:05, 16 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support as a former presenter, I can confirm the enthusiastic response to this event and its ability to seed post-event activity. - PKM (talk) 20:11, 16 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support from Vid2Vid (talk · contribs) ..Echoing same sentiments as @RightCowLeftCoast: .. Heartily support this a fellow user group in Southern California also having a Wikipedia Day event. The more events, the better! Cali truly is lacking in WMF and Wikipedia visibility. Thank you for your consideration. From Peter a.k.a. Vid2vid (talk) 18:06, 19 December 2019 (UTC).