Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- WikiJournal of Medicine (www.wijoumed.org) is a peer reviewed journal in medicine and biomedicine. It is an open access journal with no publication cost for authors. It was started in 2014. All included articles have been peer reviewed by medical experts.
- The editor-in-chief has so far personally paid for expenses from the journal's creation in 2014, and the journal's board has now approved reimbursement for these costs. The main expenses have been the Crossref membership of $275 yearly, which allows the journal to apply DOI codes and metadata to articles for standardized linking and referencing when mentioned in external works. This created permanent links to the journal articles, even if the URL of the page may change over time.
- The purpose of this grant is to ensure a smooth running of this journal such that the academic disrepute of Wikipedia may be overcome as the academic and Wiki(pedic) communities converge together through this open access platform. It will also free the authors of the significant burden of article publication charges (APC) which are otherwise essential in order to meet the operational costs of an open access journal. Rather than a mere mention on the history page of an article, the authors would be able to get proper recognition of their work as their work gets to be cited academically. The certification of peer review is a recognition of quality and credibility of the articles.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- With membership, editors of the journal register article metadata in the Crossref database, and add the DOI code to the article in the journal.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- The project engages in multiple outreach activities as listed at Wikiversity:WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Editors#Outreach
- Examples of outreach in the past:
- Presentation at Wikimania 2016
- Article about the journal in The Conversation
- Article in The Signpost
- Podcast featuring Editor-in-chief
- Podcast featuring Assistant to the editor-in-chief
- Presentation at WikiConference India 2016 held at Chandigarh.
- Notification on the talk page of prospective users who could possibly contribute to the journal.
- Through our social media platforms Facebook Twitter
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- By end of the project we would have created a sustainable open access journal having a good suite of impact metrics and with listing in academic databases. The journal can act as a model for other open access journals in other fields. In fact based on this journal a subsequent journal Second Journal of Science has already been formed.
Follow up with people involved with the project:
- Internal communication between board members currently is being made by posting to board wijoumed org. The same trend is likely to continue. Alternatively Wikimedia lists may be used.
- Discussions on the talk page of the journal.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- A gradual increase in the number of submissions to this journal.
- An increase in the number of users finding their way to the project by means of DOI links. This impact can can be reflected in the number of articles published, amount of material integrated into Wikipedia, growth of editorial board and mentions in the media.
- Discussion, review and criticism of the journal in external media, both online and offline.
- Using both direct and indirect metrics of journal performance, i.e. indirect measures like impact factor by tracking the number of citations / references of the articles published in this journal being made in academic works other than within the journal, alongside other direct measures of impact.
- Tracking the number of pages where text from the journal is used and attributed. The journal carries an open license and so the images and text can be directly incorporated in Wikipedia articles or other suitable media, essentially with proper attribution.
- Specific numeric targets include: We hope to publish at least 10 peer reviewed articles next year, garner a minimum of 3 citations to existing articles, recruit 3 additional members to the editorial board.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- All costs have so far been payed by Mikael Häggström personally, but there are some ideas for having a treasurer for the project.
- A dedicated and qualified editorial board with members from 5 continents
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Financial resources:
- Crossref annual membership is $275  for 2014 ($206 this year), 2015, 2016 and to pay the upcoming membership fee for 2017 - total $1031
- The project would find much use of an additional $400 in order to host a prize competition for article and media submissions to the journal in order to attract more authors. This is a sort of assistance in order to increase public awareness of the journal.
- The domain name www.wijoumed.org which redirects to the journal's main page costs $16 per year - with past years: total $64
- We would, in addition, want to become a member of The Committee on Publication Ethics, which would confer an additional annual membership fee of $210 for 2017 . This would increase the credibility of the journal.
- This application is effectively for the journal's annual expenses for the years 2014-2017. Bills for past payments can be provided upon request.
- Support — I support this grant application. Part (talk) 13:04, 9 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support — I too support the grant for this project. It would be a step ahead towards being able to provide open access without taxing either the authors or the readers. DiptanshuTalk 14:22, 9 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support — the journal is an excellent idea for improving integration of the Academic and Wikipedic communities. These funds are an important prerequisite to support the work of the volunteer authors and editors. T.Shafee(Evo﹠Evo)talk 02:48, 10 August 2016 (UTC)