Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Project Goal edit
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Project Plan edit
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Wikimedia Portugal is organizing Wiki Loves Monuments 2021 in Portugal for the 4th time. We wish to have this competition annually, as we have seen that returning participants are much more likely to continue participating in the Wikimedia projects, even outside these contests if these events are organized in a systematic way, and if they have a positive experience in the contest.
- Also, on every event we are increasing the level of internal organization, the level of our network connections and the visibility of Wikimedia projects on the monument managment and conservation, urbanism and urban art groups.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- Losophone comunity (link), the Wikimedia Commons portuguese language village pump (link), the Wikimedia Portugal mailing list (link) and our telegram group.
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- We will advertise on the projects village pumps in Portuguese language projects, jointly with the international organization using the CentralNotice banner, and through our social media and blog (blog.wikimedia.pt); and through our dedicated website https://wikilovesmonuments.org.pt/. We will also advertise the event on public administration entities, universities and photo or monument associations and groups. We will also use the final communications on our Wiki Loves Earth 2021 to advertise and invite to these contest, in a sense of continuity.
Participants will learn about the contest, the rules, the prizes and the jury and they will have a dedicated email address to contact in case of questions.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- We will use the Montage tool with an array of judges picked from the Portuguese language Wikimedia community, photographers and heritage experts.
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- Images will be tagged with the WLM Portugal template including a unique identifier for the monument, through a dedicated Upload Campaign on Wikimedia Commons. This allows us to track which photos belong to which monument. As we also track which monuments had previously been covered and which have articles on Wikipedia and other projects, photos can be easily matched to articles. Also, new articles can be written to be able to use new photos.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 100
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 2000-3000
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 200-400
For writing contests:
- Number of participants
- Number of articles created or improved
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The core organizing team consists of GoEThe, trindadeneves and me. The monuments database will be checked but no maintenance should be needed, our site will be updated and we are already developing our communication materials.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Prizes: Gift cards for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photos, of 400, 250 and 150 euros respectively, plus a special prize of 100€ for the photographer that covers the major number of monuments previously without any photo on Commons.
- Printing of certificates: 20€ for printing certificates for finalists in high quality paper and postages.
- Communication: 50 euros
- Web hosting and domain expenses: 30 euros
- Total ammount: 1000 euros.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support. Portugal has led a fantastic WLM in 2020, and it is great to see that plans for 2021 are as ambitious as they were last year. Thanks for all you do! --Joalpe (talk) 17:04, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support. I follow the organizing team's work closely, and definitely vouch for their capacity to set up and carry out a successful WLM. --Waldyrious (talk) 17:19, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Millars (talk) 17:24, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support GualdimG (talk) 22:21, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
- I participated in WLM 2020, and while I didn't really expect to earn something from it in terms of prizes or something of the sort (and I know my photographic skills aren't the best), the way the event was made and promoted helped me and others to focus for a while on those monuments, and, thanks to that, to enhance the information wikidata has on them. I hope Wikimedia Portugal will have the means to pull it off once more in 2021! Mind Booster Noori (talk) 16:28, 16 August 2021 (UTC)
- I think is a good activity Pimfa (talk) 23:27, 16 August 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support - Darwin Ahoy! 17:01, 20 August 2021 (UTC)