- Organize a community project
- Socialize with community members
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- UG-LK is invited to participate in this year's Global Voices summit, which is to be held in Colombo on December 2nd and 3rd. Depending on the attendees' background, we hope to conduct talks with non-Wikimedians in relation to our project(s), the editing environment, and other topics that may be brought up at our booth/stall at the conference. It is a good opportunity for members to showcase our projects, and to meet each other during the conference. Previous smaller meetups only had less than 4 members participating. We hope this will encourage at least double that number of participants.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- We have not conducted such events in the past.
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- Participant engagement will continue online, via the usergroup talkpage, mailing lists, and project-specific talkpages.
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The goods funded by this project is intended to be reused in future events (i.e. there will be no event-specific branding). We hope to prepare 2x stand banners, and print 10 usergroup tshirts to encourage participation. We also wish to hand out pens+stickers to participants, but that depends if Wikimedia can ship them to us and if the shipment will reach us before 30th Nov. If not, that should be excluded from the budget.
- We also note that this request is posted on short notice (less that 6 weeks from start date). Hence the grantee is willing to cover the expenses as soon as the funding is confirmed, and reimburse himself once the funds are wired to the already-existing UG-LK bank account.
- Number of total participants: Approximately 5-10.
- Number of people who will help organize the event: The event is organized by the Global Voices team.
- Stand x-banner x2: LKR 10,000 (USD 65)
- T-shirts x10: LKR 20,000 (USD 130)
- There is no venue cost (as we are not organizers), and participation by UG-LK members is free for the 4 participants already in touch with the Global Voices team (which is otherwise $16.37 per person). Although participation will most likely be free for further GV attendees from our usergroup, we would like to budget the fee $16.37 x 6 = USD 98.22 (LKR 15,000) for contingency, which will be used if there arises any other requirements such as projector, transport, etc.
- We would also like to note that we have LKR 1,022 remaining from our previous grant, which we will use in case of a shortage. Likewise, any excess may also be reserved for a future photowalk project (in the same account), at the grantors discretion.
USD 325 / LKR 50,000 LKR 45,100
This GV Summit is a great opportunity for the Srilankan Wikimedians to meet and discuss future progress and issues. The banners and the T-Shirts should help a lot in spreading awareness about Wikimedia projects in Sri Lanka, not only at this Summit, but also in future programs. I strongly support this grant request. --Sivakosaran (talk) 14:50, 24 October 2017 (UTC)
- Really a great opportunity for Srilankan Wikimedians. I support this grant request. --Maathavan (talk) 18:49, 24 October 2017 (UTC)
- I support this grant request--Shri (talk) 23:51, 24 October 2017 (UTC)
- It is a very good opportunity for Sri Lankan Wikipedians. I support this grant request.--சஞ்சீவி சிவகுமார் (talk) 04:35, 25 October 2017 (UTC)
- In hopes of having Wikimedia to be well-presented at this event. I endorse this grant request. Azeez (talk) 04:36, 26 October 2017 (UTC)
- I hope this brings more publicity. I support this grant request. உமாபதி (talk) 10:05, 28 October 2017 (UTC)