Please see the sample Equipment application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal. For example, if you want to add content on a specific subject.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content gaps will you be filling with the equipment?: As mentioned in the project goal section above, the equipment will help cover missing photos of power stations, dams, and other structures, during its initial projects.
2. What activities will you organize in the next 6 months to create content and use it on Wikimedia projects?: Depending on the possibility of covering multiple landmarks in a day, multiple photowalks across the country will be organized to reach the goal.
3. How will the equipment be shared/tracked/cared for by members of your community?: Equipment will be available for any member of UG LK to use, and will be logged at Wikimedia Community User Group Sri Lanka/Assets. When not in use, the equipment will be under the care/custody of User:Rehman.
4. How long will the equipment be used, and by whom?: The equipment will be used by members of UG LK, for as long as the equipment lasts.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?: NA.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: At least 50 in the first photowalk.
- Number of articles improved: At least 75% of the tallest buildings in Sri Lanka (nearly all of which are located in Colombo), with subsequent photo sessions covering over 50% of all power stations and dams in the Western Province. Further photo sessions will be organized to cover subjects outside these areas. Examples of previous photo sessions across the country by the grantee (using private equipment) can be found here.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The initial project will be launched by User:Rehman as part of Wikimedia Community User Group Sri Lanka. Further project may be carried out by other usergroup members, using the same equipment.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Nikon Coolpix P900 - Shipping from Amazon USA - USD 579 / LKR 84,500
- 32GB memory card - Shipping from Amazon USA - USD 19 / LKR 2,800
- Backup battery - Shipping from Amazon USA - USD 20 / LKR 2,900
- Combined shipping and tax of all 3 above: USD 112 / LKR 16,400
- Camera case - Bought locally - LKR 4,800 / USD 33
- Camera tripod - Bought locally - LKR 18,500 / USD 127
- Initial photowalk travel costs: LKR 5,000 / USD 35
- Total cost of equipment: USD 925 / LKR 135,000
members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- At the moment the inclusion of good quality Sri Lankan images appears to be dependent upon tourists and non-residents uploading images to WikiCommons. There is a need for local users to be able to take and upload quality images that are relevant to Sri Lankan articles. Dan arndt (talk) 04:08, 11 October 2016 (UTC)
- Agree with Dan here a photographer in situ is always going to be expanding the amount of images, the camera is of a reasonable level that it will provide images of an acceptable quality(subject to the usual disclaimer about it being the operator not the tool being used) while not being too flashy either, has included spare battery and a single memory card(personally I'd suggest a second memory card). There is a significant lack of photographs within Commons, this would go towards alleviating that. User:Rehman has been contributing since 2008 this would be good outcome for the wider Sri Lankan community development. Gnangarra (talk) 12:16, 13 October 2016 (UTC)
- I approve Above has explained precisely my thoughts, thanks -Atcovi (Talk - Contribs) 23:30, 8 December 2016 (UTC)
- I approve this--Shriheeran
- Sri Lanka has a lot of ancient ruins and architectural wonders which are hidden from the world. Only a few of them like Sigiriya has been properly photographed. I believe after this, we would be able to photograph and document these in Wiki articles both in en and si. Sandaru (talk) 08:15, 16 January 2017 (UTC)
- I approve -(Sancheevi Sivakumar)சஞ்சீவி சிவகுமார் (talk) 05:09, 14 March 2017 (UTC)