Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve existing local content about healthy natural systems that are sources of potable water, air, food and others alike.
- Join the #WikiForHumanRights Campaign 2022 in increasing the visibility/readability of Wikipedia articles related to the theme "rights to a healthy Environment".
- Recruit new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will focus on improving local contents on environmental health, communities impacted by environmental issues in Nigeria, human rights and the environment, environmental degradation, Climate Change, Biodiversity loss and pollution among others. With the international recognition of the "Right to a Healthy Environment" by the Human Rights Council passed in October 2021, and the 50 years commemoration of the United Nations Conference on Human Environment set to happen this year, there is no better time to accelerate commitments to increased knowledge in the campaign's theme, particularly in the nigerian context, for sustainable development and recovery from the coronavirus disease. You can read more here. The campaign will be hybrid events in Ilorin and Owerri as well as with previous edition participants over a 2-week period which will lead into the global campaign period.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- This has been done by making a notification on the discussion page of Wikimedia Nigeria Usergroup with the support of Wikimedians from Wikimedia User Group Nigeria official facebook fan page.
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- This will be done through email notifications and invitations, Social media channels, and phone calls. Particularly, we have initiated communications with the last year's participants about this edition through the existing country campaign WhatsApp group.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- The contributions will be tracked and evaluated with the use of one of these tools Fountain tool,Hashtag tool, Event Metrics or the Outreach Dashboard
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- One of the achievements from last year's event was the further engagement of participants in other community activities which resulted in the participation of two people in the WPWP Campaign 2021 organized by Wikimedia Hub, Owerri. One of the two participants, emerged winner in the said contest and is currently building capacity with the mentorship support of the ongoing WikiVibrance African Youth Month 2021 event to prepare him for participation in this year's edition as well as in other movement activities. We are happy with his enthusiasm so far and wish to further build this with that of other participants through this year's campaign to continuously grow and contribute to the movement's objectives.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For writing contests:
- Number of participants = 30
- Number of new editors =30
- Number of articles created or improved = 20
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) - 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have User:James Moore200 Who was the co-organizer for WikiforHumanRights 2021 in Nigeria, convener of the 2021 Wiki Loves SDGs in Nigeria and a member of the team that coordinated Wikipedia @20 in Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria. He was also the team lead for WikiAct4SDGs Nigeria, Wikidata 9th Birthday in Kwara amongst others. He is also serving as one of the mentors for WikiVibrance African Youth Month 2021 event.
- User: Ptinphusmia will also lead as the project coordinator, considering my wealth of experience in organizing Wikimedia projects such as WikiforHumanRights 2021 in Nigeria, South East Edit-a-thon, The WikiVibrance Project Wiki4climate online edit-a-thon, facilitating movement strategy follow-up discussions for room 2 of Skills and Leadership Development (cluster C) and moderating the two-day strategy discussions for Igbo Wikimedia Usergroup
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Event Hall/Conference = $195x3 = $585
- refreshments (Snacks and lunch) = $12/person x 3events × 35 participants = $1,260
- Transportation fee for Organizers in Ilorin and Owerri = $80
- Rental = $85
- Prizes = $400 (1st-5th position)
- Internet subscription (during and after events for evaluation, jury, and report writing) = $450
- Zoom hosting and subscription = $60
- Administrative charge = $250 (Airtime for communication, internet for meetings with past participants, potential partners, meetings/calls with vendors, and others)
- Social Media Promotion = $270
- Bank Charges = $45
- Contingency = $90
Total = 3575 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!