Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- To increase contents on Wikimedia Commons
- To recruit professional photographers for Wikimedia Commons and other Wikimedia Projects
- To improve contents on English Wikipedia and Hausa Wikipedia
- Engage existing editors
- To create awareness about Wikimedia projects
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- 6 photowalks to be divided as follows; 3 photowalks in Bauchi across the three Senatorial Districts in the states (Bauchi North, Bauchi South and Bauchi Central) and another 3 photowalks in Yobe across the three Senatorial Districts in the states (Yobe North, Yobe South and Yobe East) 5 photographers.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- The photowalk will focus primarily on Main entrances, Educational institutions, Libraries, Zoological Gardens, Architectural buildings, Museums, Artefacts, Game reserves, Rivers, Cultures, Parks and other landmark areas in the states. Emphasis will be placed on places, institutions and buildings with existing Wikipedia articles without pictures, with examples of such being The Federal Polytechnic Damaturu, Umar Suleiman College of Education, Gashua, Mai-Idris Alooma Polytechnic, Geidam, Yobe State University, Damaturu, College of Education and Legal Studies, Nguru, Fika Emirate, Potiskum Emirate, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Stadium, Bauchi State University, Gadau, Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic, Azare, Bauchi State Airport, Bauchi State House of Assembly,etc.
3. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- I have notified the Wikimedia Community about this project via the discussion page of the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria which can be accessed Here
4. How will you let participants know about the photowalk? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- I will use social media channels like Whatsapp and Zoom/Google Meet to communicate with the participants for this project
5. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- There will be an edit-a-thon immediately after the photowalks to upload the pictures (images) on Wikimedia commons while also linking images to the relevant Wikipedia articles.
6. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- One of the participants currently have a good camera. We will need to rent four more cameras.
- While all 5 participants have good photographic skills, there will be training on how participants can use and upload images on the Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia. Participants will also be taught the fundamentals of good photography.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project will help to give visibility to Bauchi and Yobe State ethnic groups as both the two states are situated in Northeast part of Nigeria which is also a region with the fewer visibility compared to the other regions, while also helping to close the content gap on the World Largest Online Encyclopedia. The project will significantly improve existing Yobe and Bauchi related Wikipedia pages and the output from this project will be relevant for other Language Wikipedia such as the Yoruba (yo) Wikipedia and Igbo (Ig) Wikipedia.
8. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Yes. However, the total participants for this event is not more than 10.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- If atleast 5 professional photographers participated
- If atleast 300 high quality photos are uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- If at least 40% of the images collected are used on Wikimedia Projects
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Laptops and 2 Professional Cameras.
- Musaddam Idriss will lead this project
- Em-mustapha, a professional Wikipedia and Wiki Common editor will also bring his wealth of experience into this project.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|S/N||Item||Quantity||Unit Cost (USD)||Total Cost (USD)||Notes|
|1.||Cost of transportation||5 participants||$20 x 5 x 6 (days)||$700||Cost of transportation of the participants for the 6 Photowalks|
|2.||Food and drinks||5 participants||$10 x 5 x 6 (days)||$400||Cost of Food and Drink during each of the Photowalk|
|3.||Data||-||-||$200||Internet data for training, uploading of images and for edit-a-thon|
|4.||Accommodation||5||$20 x 5 x 6 (nights)||$475||Hotel accommodation for the 5 participants for 6 nights of the Photowalk|
|5.||Branded T-shirts||5||$15||$75||For ease of identification of the participants during the Photowalk|
|6.||ID Card, Nose Masks and Hand Sanitizer||-||-||$60|
|-||TOTAL PROJECT COST =||1||$2000||$2000;(NGN 825,420.00)||Exchange rate used = 412.710/$ (Dollar) as of 10th January, 2022 in oanda.com.|
Note: I still have USD 38.8 (excess fund from previous project) in my possession.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support as the project area of Yobe and Bauchi have low coverage in terms of wikipedia activities Uncle Bash007 (talk) 11:35, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Best of luck Musaddam. Em-mustapha talk 23:43, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support yes this project will promote English and Hausa Wikipedia. Salihu Aliyu (talk) 00:50, 15 January 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support The Commons need photos from this part of Nigeria, there is a need to develop some Wikidata and Wikipedia Articles related to Northeastern Nigeria with photos. —Gwanki✉ 07:04, 1 February 2022 (UTC)