Grants:Project/Rapid/Irvin Stotomas/Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in the Philippines/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
The main purpose of Wiki Loves monuments Philippines 2018 is to improve and increase the available media of the built heritage in the Philippines through a national photography contest.
We are glad to be back after 5 years of hiatus. The last time that Philippines joined Wiki Loves Monuments was in 2013, which was organized by a different affiliate organization. New shots of historical landmarks and new photographs of previously not covered historical and relevant sites were added on Wikimedia Commons. What is worth-mentioning is that we have different winning photography subjects:
- Architect Allan Jay Quesada won the 1st Prize - Tumauini Church of Isabela province known for its brick, Baroque-style architecture, a National Cultural Treasure as declared by the National Museum of the Philippines (NMP), and it has been considered for the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List since 2006 under the collective group of Baroque Churches of the Philippines (Extension);
- Architect Gerald Mondala took the 2nd Prize - Bacarra Church of Ilocos Norte, a National Historical Landmark as declared by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) and a National Cultural Treasure by the NMP;
- Wiki Loves Earth PH 3rd prize winner Ian Villanueva secured the 3rd Prize - University of the Philippines Diliman Carillon Tower, the only carillon tower in the Philippines and in Southeast Asia that is manually played by a clavier or a wooden keyboard. It was originally constructed in 1940 by National Artist Juan Nakpil, Conservatory of Music director Ramon Tapales and UP President Bienvenido Gonzales with an initial idea of building a concrete structure that may tower the grounds of the university. Although we did not meet the target number of images and participants, we are excited to see how our Top 10 will fair with other national winners.
- Grupo Kalinangan president Joel Aldor took the Special Prize for contributing 498 images, the most number of entries among the participants.
Having a new project opens an opportunity to engage new, former and existing members. This is one of our goals. While online activities such as editing is a solitary job, organizing offline activities is more fun and much engaging. We were able to encourage participants from Wiki Loves Earth 2018 in the Philippines and attendees from previous activities to be part of the team or become participants. Promoting the contest online and offline helped spread the awareness about contributing media contents on Wikipedia and its sister projects. Offline promotions included handing out flyers, putting up streamers and posters, having a press release in a regional weekly newspaper, and conducting photo walks. Creating new and sustaining partnerships with organizations and institutions has been our goal when conducting an activity. This time, we were able to partner with an organization of architecture students in Camarines Sur, and network with a group of photographer in Cavite.
Please report on your original project targets.
Community Outreach ActivityEdit
- WLM PH 2018 photo walk - Naga City and WLM PH 2018 photo walk - Cavite were simultaneously conducted on August 21, 2018 which is a public holiday.
- The activity in Naga City was participated by team members Maffeth.opiana, Filipinayzd and ChisoyWasabe, who was first involved in the movement during the Bikol Wikipedia 10th Anniversary celebration (2017). FroyAgta failed to show up due to a traffic violation. The group covered four historical landmarks namely Naga Cathedral, Holy Rosary Minor Seminary, Quince Martires del Bicolandia and Jesse M. Robredo Museum.
- The activity in Cavite was conducted by a 7-man team led by user:Iravillanueva, a WLE PH participant and covered historical sites including Aguinaldo Shrine in Kawit, Aguinaldo Monument in Trece Martires City, and Thirteen Martyrs of Cavite in Trece Martires, Cavite.
- Documentation of the activities were posted on the official Facebook page to encourage participation.
- WLM PH 2018 photo walk - Albay was conducted on August 25-26, 2018 by team members user:Maffeth.opiana, user:Filipinayzd and Jun_pasa, who was first involved in the movement during the Wikipedia Philippine Cultural Heritage Mapping Project (2014). Historical sites in Legazpi City and Tabaco City, Albay including St. Gregory the Great Cathedral and Smith, Bell and Company House were covered by the team. We also attempted to connect with photography groups in Legazpi City.
- WLM PH 2018 photo walk - Camarines Sur and WLM PH 2018 photo walk - Quezon City were also conducted simultaneously on September 22, 2018.
- The event in Camarines Sur was held in partnership between PhilWiki Community and the United Architects of the Philippines Student Auxillary - Bicol State College of Applied Science and Technology (UAPSA BISCAST). The whole-day activity in Camarines Sur which had a theme LITRATO: Capturing The Historical Growth Through Synergy of Cultural Diversity covered the towns of Calabanga, Bombon, Magarao, Canaman, and Naga City. Among the members of the organizations who facilitated the activity were user:Maffeth.opiana, user:ChisoyWasabe and Froy.
- The event in Quezon City included a photo walk within the University of the Philippines Diliman campus which have several historical landmarks (including the 3rd prize), promotional activities such as distributing leaflets and face-to-face interaction, and meet-ups with Cavite and Manila-based Wikimedians. It was attended by user:Iravillanueva, user:Filipinayzd, Bikolesque who was a participant at the Spanish Wikipedia Editathon (2018) and Jerome2017 who also a participant during the Bikol Wikipedia 10th Anniversary celebration (2017). Participants who previously joined the photo walk in Cavite and Wiki Takes Rinconada winner (2016) Elmer, who signified his attendance to the photo walk failed to show up for personal reasons.
- Documentation of the activities were posted on the official Facebook page to encourage participation.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|200 participants||81 contributors  excluding at least 26 photo walk participants||As with our previous projects namely 10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary (2017) and Wiki Loves Earth 2018 in the Philippines (2018), there were several reports from the participants whose user account and/or IP address was blocked, hence, they failed to participate in the contest.|
|2,000 photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||1,711 ||One month is a short contest period unlike what we previously had in Wiki Loves Earth 2018 Philippines which is two months. Several participants tried to beat the deadline. A number of photographs were uploaded after the deadline and these were not included in the count.|
|100 photos used on Wikimedia projects||92 (5%) as of November 3, 2018 ||No editing workshop has been conducted yet.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- a) The global banner worked well for Wiki Loves Monuments because many of those who participated in the contest joined through it. Other participants were able to join through social media promotion and community outreach activities.
- b) A page in the social media kept the participants informed on the updates of the contest and other related stuff.
- c) Tapping a group to conduct a photo walk worked in a way that the information about the event reached more people when the participants made updates in their social media.
- d) Having a professional photographer in the jury helped in the selection of quality top 50 photographs.
- e) Ordering products online as prizes is convenient because we do not need to ship them ourselves.
- What did not work so well?
- a) As with Wiki Love Earth 2018 PH, we received reports about newly-created accounts being getting blocked due to IP address is in a range which has been blocked on all wikis. These blocks were made by User:-revi (meta) due to "cross-wiki vandalism". This affected a huge number of contributors. As a remedy, we contacted Darwin who is an admin on Commons via Telegram to lift the erroneous blocks. However, we could only address those who reported to us.
- b) Not a single entry among the top 10 got recognition in the international round.
- c) Not all participants of photo walks have a professional camera therefore only a few of them were able to upload entries. Some participants especially photographers with better skills only uploaded a limited number of entries.
- d) Trimming down the number of entries to top 50 and finally selecting the top 10 is a difficult task for a group of 5 jurors.
- e) We have not shipped the trophy of one winner because it is fragile and we do not want to risk. It just happened that the 1st prize winner in attendance and the 2nd prize winner who could not attend the awarding are colleagues so we just asked the former to hand carry his prize, certificate and trophy.
- What would you do differently next time?
- a) We will put a notice in the guidelines and mechanics that should they encounter such problem they contact us to undo the block.
- b) We should get an endorsement from a national agency such as the Department of Tourism to get a boost in the promotion offline and online.
- c) Having a panel of jurors with a diverse background would help select competitive top 10 entries in the international competition of Wiki Loves Monuments.
- d) Having an elimination round before the final selection would not have been a demanding task on the part the jurors.
- e) Although gadgets are cool as prizes, cash prizes is more appealing to the participants and is easy to transfer to the winners thru bank account. We will consider having trophies made of metal instead of a fragile material.
Grant funds spentEdit
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Total (PHP/USD)||Actual Expense (PHP/USD)||Notes|
|1||Community outreach activities||3||P 30,000.00
|Photography walks to engage past and new volunteers, and photographers in 5 locations: Naga City, Camarines Sur, Legazpi City, Tabaco City, Manila, and Cavite.|
|2||Social media promotion||1||P 2,000.00
|Sponsored posts to reach wider audience|
|1st prize: GoPro HERO6 Black (1 year warranty)PHP 20,900.00 (USD 394.08)|
2nd prize: Canon Selphy CP1200 Wireless Color Portable Photo Printer with RP-54 PHP 7,480.00 (USD 141.04)
3rd prize: Toshiba Canvio Advance (new) 2TB (Black) USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive PHP 4,599.00 (USD 86.72)
Special prize for the most number of quality photos: Toshiba Canvio Advance (new) 2TB (Black) USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive PHP 4,599.00 (USD 86.72)
|Customized trophies with additional design|
|Streamers and leaflets|
|6||Awarding ceremony||1||P 10,000.00
|Travel allowance to the winner in attendance, cake, planning (event coincided the 11th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary celebration; meals c/o WikiTutorial grant)|
|7||Contingency cost||P 15,500.00
|Logistical expenses for organizing and meetings, shipping fee for certificates and trophy delivery, and unexpected expenses|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes, the remaining grant fund is PHP 2,352.81.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Mosque, Cotabato City.jpg
Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Mosque in Cotabato City, Philippines.
Photograph: Joel Aldor
Bicol Standard featured the contest: Bicolanos urged to join Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines 2018 Photography Contest.