Grants:Project/Rapid/Maffeth Opiana/Wiki Loves Earth 2018 in the Philippines/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We are very happy that the project goals of Wiki Loves Earth Philippines are met. We engaged new and existing contributors of the community in the contest, in community outreach activities and in the organizing and implementation of the project. Over 2,000 free-licensed photographs of natural heritage sites on Wikimedia Commons, around 500 of which are of good quality; and through several activities and through the official social media page, we were able to spread awareness about contributing media contents to Wikipedia and its sister projects.
Please report on your original project targets.
Community Outreach ActivityEdit
- May 18 to May 20 - The team’s first community outreach activity was in the island-province of Catanduanes wherein we conducted the promotion of Wiki Loves Earth Philippines at the Office of the Governor and also at a writing workshop attended by students within the province. We were able to discuss Wikipedia particularly the Central Bikol edition and to invite the attendees to participate in Wiki Loves Earth Philippines. The organizers of the writing workshop expressed their interest in holding an editing tutorial in the future while a participant invited the group to do the same at Holy Rosary Minor Seminary where he is presently connected. Promotional leaflets and stickers were handed out to the participants. The 3-day activity also included a photowalk with some of the workshop participants at Binurong Point.
- May 25 to May 26 - Among the proposed activities discussed at the annual planning meeting of Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement held in Sorsogon was the Wiki Loves Monuments. Irvin proposed to the organization a collaboration with PhilWiki Community on holding the photography contest as one of the group's mission is to raise the public's awareness on cultural heritage preservation in the country particularly built structures. A photowalk activity was also done in Bacon, Sorsogon with 2 Wikimedians including Jun Pasa who would become a jury of the contest. There was also an opportunity to discuss the ongoing Wiki Loves Earth Philippines contest with the tourism officer of the Province of Sorsogon. Promotional leaflets were also left at the office for interested individuals.
- June 1 to June 3 - At a workshop conducted by the art group Artletics in Cavite, Irvin shared about Wikimedia Foundation Grants to the participants composed of artists and cultural workers. He also promoted Wiki Loves Earth Philippines contest to the attendees who are from Cagayan, Cavite, Laguna, Camarines Sur and Albay provinces. Promotional leaflets and stickers were handed out to the participants after the talk. Possible collaborations which came up include an editing workshop among writers in Cavite and participation in upcoming activities namely Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Loves Art.
- June 15 - The team conducted a photowalk activity at Kawa-kawa Hill, Albay Wildlife and Park, and Sumlang Lake. It was also an opportunity for the members to access the activities so far and come up with other plans in promoting the contest online and offline. Among the ideas that came up include an engagement with a motor rider's club which routinely travel in places as part of their weekly adventure activity, and an editing activity during the Philippine-Spanish Friendship Day celebration.
- June 17 to 24 - Froy organized a group of riders to do a photoride in Camarines Sur and Camarines Norte provinces. The members were tasked to capture subjects which could be submitted to the ongoing Wiki Loves Earth Philippines contest. Seven (7) new contributors were produced after the activity who contributed 237 images (Tphen26 - 71; Ejcapili21 - 48; Shuel066 - 40; Mundzkie - 26; Nuzky1 - 21; Michaelnacario24 - 16; Septimorex - 15).
- July 1 - As part of the community outreach activity of the team, we conducted an editing workshop during the Philippine-Spanish Friendship Day celebration in Naga City. The lecture focused on Wikimedia Commons and a tutorial on adding images to Wikipedia, specifically to the Spanish Wikipedia among other editions. The event was graced by the Honorary Consul of Spain in Bicol who appreciated the efforts by Wikimedians and the organizers in participating in the annual Philippine-Spanish Friendship Day celebration. An awareness on Wikipedia was raised as the editing activity was included in the promotion of the celebration, i.e. event's banners, posters, souvenir magazine and announcements. Added WLE PH images on Spanish Wikipedia: 5; on any Wikipedia per participant: 32 (Rsahagun11 - 12; Bikolesque - 6; MarvinBikolano - 5; FroyAgta - 4; ChisoyWasabe - 3; Filipinayzd - 2).
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|50 participants||190 contributors (excluding 7 past participants who attended a community outreach activity)||26 old contributors ~ 164 new contributors |
|500 photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||1,963 
|there is a discrepancy in the total of photos|
|100 photos used on Wikimedia projects||91 (4% out of 1,963) ~ 100 (4.6% distinct images used from the 2,175 files)||using Glamorous tool for photos under Campaign:wle-ph category (2,175 files)|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Through the community outreach activities, we were able to reach individuals and groups which helped increase the awareness about the contest as well as the Wikimedia movement. Workshop attendees at Catanduanes also learned about Bikol Wikipedia through a slide presentation, artists from different parts of the Luzon at Cavite also gained knowledge about Wikimedia Foundation grants, and Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement (NCHM) found Wiki Loves Monuments significant in promoting the preservation of built heritage sites in the country. Joining in an event at Naga City helped promote Wikipedia through media exposure having been included various the event's promotional materials. Engaging a rider's club in the activity is one way to network with a group of individuals which has not been explored in the past. Taking a time off and conducting photo walks helped the team to re-assess its activities and to explores possibilities.
- Social media has again proven its reach and influence. Having a presence in the social media, more people who do not visit Wikipedia often became aware of the contest. The team was able to update the participants about the contest and respond to queries directly and instantly though its messenger. Introducing the People's Choice award after the announcement of top 20 also gave a boost to the reach of the contest having more followers in its official page.
- The technical assistance given by Biplab Anand from Maithili Wikimedians User Group was an advantage. Since it's our first time to join in the competition, we had no idea on how to conduct the selection and choosing the winners. We would have done it manually. He introduced a tool that would help us in choosing the top images. We will continue this practice because collaboration is important to achieve the goal.
- Having the 1st Wiki Loves Earth Philippines is a privilege and honor to the group. It boosted the passion of the group as reflected in their regular attendance in the meetings. Conducting WLE PH is like hitting two birds with one stone; being able to promote the beauty of the country and orient people about Wikipedia since we do not have a large number of contributors. It opens door for a lot of opportunities that could help the movement in the future.
- What did not work so well?
- There were several reports from the participants whose user account and/or IP address was blocked therefore they failed to participate in the contest. This is frustrating to newbies being unable to participate for some technical issues they are not aware of and are beyond their control. Also, unknown usernames had been vandalizing the page so there's a need to check it from time to time. The internet speed in the Philippines is also frustrating whether it is WiFi connection or mobile data. There are two categories used for WLE PH hence there is a discrepancy in the total number of images uploaded. During the selection process, many images were not included in the selection specially those that are not categorized under the category that was used in selection tool.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Though there were some challenges along the way, we were able to find alternatives which made event successful and it inspired us to continue and do better next time. The project encouraged new contributors and engaged old contributors and the members. Asking the help of stakeholders such as organizations, and collaboration with them may promote the project well. Exciting prizes could motivate more participants to join.
Grant funds spentEdit
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Project budget table
|Total (PHP) / (USD)||Actual Expense
(PHP) / (USD)
|1||Community outreach activities||PHP 15,000.00
(at least 3 activities)
|Conducted 3 photography walks/rides involving past and new volunteers and photographers in 4 locations namely Catanduanes, Sorsogon, Albay, Camarines Sur and Camarines Norte; and 3 speaking engagement/workshop/partnership meeting in Catanduanes, Cavite, Sorsogon and Naga City.|
|2||Social media promotion||PHP 3,000.00||PHP 3,000.00
|Sponsored posts to reach wider audience|
|3||Awards||4 prizes||PHP 21,000.00
|Awarded the following: 1st prize: PHP 10,000.00|
2nd prize: PHP 5,000.00
3rd prize: 3,000.00
Special Prize (for the most number of quality photos) and one additional prize for the People's Choice (for the Top 20 photograph with most number of heart reactions): PHP 3,000.00 each
(for 3 winners)
|Under estimated the cost of customized trophies|
|5||Awarding ceremony||PHP 12,000.00||PHP 12,000.00
|Meals, no venue rental, for the event attended by 2 winners, one of whom need travel allowance, participants and team members; expense included shipping fees for sending cash prizes, certificates and a trophy to winners who could not attend the ceremony|
|6||Contingency cost||Logistics||PHP 8,400.00
|Logistics and team meetings|
|T-shirts of the team members, supplies for leaflets and stickers, tarpaulins/streamers, souvenir magazine ad placement|
|Total Budget: PHP 100,800.00 (USD 1,941.150) | Total Expense: PHP 101,063.25 (USD 1,946.2177)|
- 1 USD = 51.9279 PHP as of 12 April 2018
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Anything else you want to share about your project?