Grants:Project/Rapid/Maffeth Opiana/Wiki Loves Earth 2018 in the Philippines
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To engage new and existing contributors of the community.
- To add freely licensed, and quality images of natural heritages of the Philippines to Wikimedia Commons.
- To spread awareness about contributing media contents to Wikipedia and its sister projects.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
The contest will focus on freely licensed and high quality images of natural heritages here in the Philippines, that will be contributed to Wikimedia Commons for free usage and spread its importance via usage in Wikipedia articles. The competition is important because it give us exposure of our natural heritages.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Village pumps (English Wikipedia, Sinugbuanong Binisaya Wikipedia, Tagalog Wikipedia)
- Social media promotion
- Press releases
- Community outreach
- Word of mouth
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
We will have a jury composed of people from the Wikimedia community and professional photographers. Prizes will be in term of money and a trophy. The jury will determine the winners of the local contest taking into the consideration the following criteria:
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Originality and creativity;
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
We will utilize those uploaded resources in Wikimedia projects by communicating to contributors through e-mail or talk page.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 50
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 500
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 100
- 1 USD = 51.9279 PHP as of 12 April 2018
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (PHP)||Total (PHP)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|1||Community outreach activities||3||PHP 15,000.00||PHP 45,000.00||USD 866.586||Photography walks/expeditions/tours to engage past and new volunteers and photographers in 3 locations. Cost will include: travel and accommodation in respective cities/towns.|
|2||Social media promotion||1||PHP 3,000.00||PHP 3,000.00||USD 57.772||Sponsored posts to reach wider audience|
|3||Awards||4||varies||PHP 21,000.00||USD 404.406||1st prize: PHP 10,000|
2nd prize: PHP 5,000
3rd prize: 3,000
Special prize (for the most number of quality photos): PHP 3,000
|4||Trophies||3||PHP 1,000.00||PHP 3,000.00||USD 57.772||Customized trophies|
|5||Awarding ceremony||1||PHP 12,000.00||PHP 12,000.00||USD 385.149||Venue and foods for the attendees (20 pax); travel and accommodation; sending prizes and trophies to winners who could not attend the ceremony|
|6||Contingency cost||PHP 16,800.00||USD 323.525||Logistics, meetings and unexpected expenses|
|Total: PHP 100,800.00 (USD 1,941.150)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- This will be the first participation of the Philippine community in Wiki Loves Earth and this effort is worth supporting. Philippine nature is not covered well enough on Commons, and other Southeast Asian countries (Nepal, Thailand, Indonesia etc.) already achieved good results in WLE. Having Biplab Anand from Nepal as a consultant is a big advantage— NickK (talk) 15:56, 24 April 2018 (UTC)