Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Introduce Wiki Loves Africa 2020's project to existing and new contributors of wiki commons, and share all about Wiki Loves Africa 2020 and its purpose.
- Recruit loyal contributors (professional photographers and non professional) to Wikipedia and its sister projects.
- Engage existing contributors and encourage them to continue contributing even when the contest is over.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
Wiki Loves Africa 2020 in Zambia will focus on photo shooting activities under the theme Transportation. Pictures uploaded on Commons will be used to illustrate and improve articles related to Zambians and Africans under transportation on wikipedia and its sister project.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
They will be contacted on the Zambia Wikipedia Facebook and Instagram platform plus the Chichewa wikipedia twitter channel. The use banners to advertise the contest to local Wikipedia readers, and promote it on Facebook and Instagram pages and on the Chewa twitter account.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
We will have a panel of 3 judges who will set criteria for best images and use these as a basis to select the best images for local awards.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
We will have edit-a-thons for the newbies to help integrate some of these uploaded images into existing articles on Wikipedia. We may also create new articles based on these images at the edit-a-thons.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants 30
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons 500+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects 25+
- 4 months after the event, 50 of uploaded photos are categorized as valued, quality or featured.
For writing contests:
- Number of participants
- Number of articles created or improved
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). Links
- to the contest page : Commons:Wiki Loves Africa
- to the meta organizing page : Wiki Loves Africa 2020
- to Facebook page : Wiki Loves Africa & Wiki Loves Africa Zambia Fcebook Page
- Isaac Kanguya, Project Leader
- Imanga - Team Member
- Kasolo - Team Member
- Frank - Team Member
Will confirm the the team member's roles.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
1 USD = 14.65 ZMW as of 1 December 2019
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||’Summary'|
|Events||Venue||2||$150||$300||This includes first launch event and second event. We will have the introduction of Wiki Loves Africa project, wikicommons and an uploading session and awareness. (Both Venue and Snacks)|
|Branding & Stationaries||T-Shirts||10||$8||$80||T-shirt will be given to contributors who has uploaded good number and quality photos, as well as to participants who has exceptional contributions during competition as determined by the jury.|
|Communications & Outreach||Transport||4||$25||$100||Transport Internet will be used during events for photo uploading. Communication-Marketing (flyers and stickers printing, t-shirts, documents and photoshooting learning guides...)|
|Internet at the events||-||$160||$160|
|Photo hunt (Photo Walk)||2||$90||$180|
|Social Media (Promotion)||5||$15||$75|
|Closing Ceremony||Awards giving||(1st,2nd,3rd)||$350||$350||The award will be given in term of vouchers and certificates. We will give vouchers cards worthy $200 to the first winner, $100 to the second winner and $50 to the third one, the winners can spend vouchers cards on what they choose.|
|Drinks and Snacks||1||$100||$100|
|Contingency Amount||$100||Unforeseen expenses|
|Total: USD 1880|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!