Please see the sample Travel application before drafting your application.
- Expand network of potential partners
- Increase awareness of Wikimedia projects
- Recruit new editors
- Collaborate with peer groups
- Joint project between various groups
1. What is the purpose of the event you're attending and why is it important that you attend?
- OpenCon is one of the prominent events in the field of Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data. I feel honored to be invited in this conference. Please find the invitation letter here. I will be able to meet the global students and early career academic professionals who are devoted to open education. That will give me the opportunity to collaborate with the participants for advancing Wikimedia movement. Finally, learning from the OpenCon will have good impact in Wikimedia movement in Bangladesh. I plan to expand network of potential partners and increase awareness of Wikimedia projects. I believe that experience will enable me to get new exposure and I can reach the new editors. Attending the conference will give me a chance to collaborate with peer groups and initiate joint project between various groups.
2. Will you be presenting at the event?
- Yes, I will be presenting in Unconference 1 on Day 2 of the conference about "Challenges of recruiting new editor for Wikipedia in Bangladesh". Moreover, I am currently analyzing a survey that was conducted by Afifa Afrin and Christel Steigenberger during Wikimania 2018. The survey was about “Gender: Does it matter in Conflict?" which is about editwar in various Wikimedia projects And analyzing the survey data made me realize that, online harassment may be a constraint for women to contribute in Wikimedia projects. I plan to conduct the survey there too in the same manner. And later share the findings. I believe this is very important to make our Wikimedia movement more gender sensitive.
3. What kind of outreach activity do you plan to do?
- As this conference is a big platform for open knowledge, presenting and discussing about wiki projects to motivate participants to join in our Wikimedia movements. I will be reaching out to participants through above mentioned the survey. I will also distribute some leaflet about Wikimedia and its community activities.
4. How will you let other participants know about your outreach activity?
- I will use banner and poster to let other participants know about my outreach activities. After analyzing the survey, We (Me, Afifa and Christel) will let the participants know the result and result will also be published in meta and mailing lists.
5. Do you have a specific networking plan? (e.g. specific people, organizations, groups you would like to develop partnerships with)
- I will particularly focusing on participants who are working in Open Education. I will start networking with them throughout the conference to recruit new editors for Wikipedia.
6. What is your plan to follow-up with new contacts?
- As it is a global conference, I will follow-up with new contacts via social media (facebook and twitter) as well as user's talk page of new accounts that are created from my approach in the conference.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets as applicable:
- Number of new potential partners: 2
- Number of outreach activity participants: 15
- Number of new editors: 5
- Number of participants in survey: 15
What resources do you have? Include in-kind donations or additional funding.
- I will bear visa fee, accommodation cost, local transport, food by myself.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- I will need round air ticket from Dhaka to Toronto only.
- Budget breakdown
|Flight||$1638||Dhaka-Toronto-Dhaka by Turkish Airlines|
Note: It will be great if Wikimedia Foundation book the flight.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- The person known for good work in Bangladesh. Has good community standing. Endorsing the application. -- Balajijagadesh (talk) 23:40, 15 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support I saw him engaging deeply at Wikimania and believe he will bring value to the conference and take home value to Bangladesh. --Kritzolina (talk) 06:57, 17 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support I believe his insights are going to enrich the conference and his learning will benefit free knowledge movements in Bangladesh. Afifa Afrin (talk) 08:03, 17 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support He is an active wikimedian and this visit might prove useful to plan the future of wiki movement in Bangladesh.-Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 06:59, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support --J. Ansari Talk 07:00, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support - Bijay Chaurasia (Talk) 07:08, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support [[User:SAgbley|SAgbley] (talk)
- Strong support -- Safi-iren (talk) 16:08, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support I know Ibrahim Husain Meraj as a very dedicated and active Wikimedian and strongly belive his participation at OpenCon 2018 can be of use for his local community in Bangladesh. Astrid Carlsen (WMNO) (talk) 13:51, 19 September 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support I know him very well! His dedication to Wikipedia, skills of working and his ability all are up to the mark. So I think his participation to the event will bring betterment. --PGhosh (Hello!) 15:20, 19 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support - Sumitsurai (talk) 11:19, 20 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Alaa :)..! 13:25, 24 September 2018 (UTC)