Grants:Project/Rapid/Atibrarian/Building Wikipedia Awareness and Community in Gombe State
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Create awareness about Wikimedia Foundation projects in Gombe State.
- Build a community of Wikimedia editors in Gombe.
- Train and recruit new editors for the Wikimedia community in Gombe State.
- Increase skills for existing editors if any.
- Add or improve local content about Gombe State on English Wikipedia.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or training?
- Two events: Awareness campaign & training, with an edit-a-thon
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
I have notified the Wikimedia community about this project via its Talk: Wikimedia User Group Nigeria
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- I will be liaising with various students' Union in the state to create awareness amongst her members
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Information about the training and edit-a-thon will be communicated using fliers, social media channels and the Students' Union in the state.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User: I JethroBT
- Yes, I (User: Atibrarian) and other experienced Wikimedia editors will be facilitating the training.
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high-quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The participants are newbies and do not have the requisite skills however, they will come with their smartphones and laptops. Experienced Wikimedians will be available to train the participants on how to contribute content and improve existing articles on Wikipedia before the commencement of the edit-a-thon
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- A WhatsApp group will be created for prompt dissemination of information during and after the training and edit-a-thon
- In addition, an outreach dashboard for assigning tasks and tracking participants' contributions during the event
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Yes, here is the link: Risk Assessment
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project will improve the pool of Wikimedia editors from North-Eastern, Nigeria. Furthermore, It will also serve as an avenue for the formation of an active community in Gombe State.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: Awareness + Training + Edit-a-thon
- Number of participants: 35
- Number of new editors: 25
- Number of articles created or improved: 50+
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- User: Atibrarian (The Project Lead): is an experienced Wikimedian , and a fellow of the WikiAfLib Cohort 2 and has participated in series of online contests such as 1Lib1Ref, WikiAflib, WikiSAU, etc.
- Abubakar A Gwanki: He is an experienced Wikimedia editor and an Administrator on the Hausa Wikipedia. He has organised and facilitated several Wikipedia projects Awareness in Kano Metropolis and he will be on ground as resource person (facilitator) for the project
- User: Musaddam Idriss: He is an experienced Wikimedia editor and trainer. He will also be a facilitator for the project.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Training venue: USD130 for 2days = $260
- Alternate power supply during the training:$40
- Refreshments for participants: USD10×35 = 350 for 2days = $700
- Flight Tickets for 2 facilitators: USD150×2 = $300
- Airport Taxi and local transport for facilitators: USD25×2 = $50
- Accommodation for 2 facilitators: USD50×2 = $100
- Internet bundle for facilitators and participants( during the training and post-project report writing)= $120
- Graphics design, the printing of flyers/posters, and Roll-up banners= $125
- Hand Sanitizers for facilitator and participants during the training= $25
- Branded Nose masks for facilitators and participants= $120
- Branded T-Shirt for facilitators and active participants: $120
- Certificate of participation for participants: $40
Total = $ 2,000|NGN 823,537
- Strong support this project will help bring awareness about Wikipedia in Gombe state-Musaddam (talk)
- Strong support This project will go a long way in reaching more people with awareness about the Wikimedia project and I am in support. Godstime Elijah (talk) 23:50, 17 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support this project is necessary to create awareness for different Wikimedia products to promote open access and open knowledge in Gombe State. Bukky658
- Strong support This project will go a long way in creating visibility for knowledge, and as well create awareness for Wikimedia and sister's project in Gombe State. Omolarabasirat (talk) 1:54, 18 October, 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support This is a timely project which will go a long way in generating the much needed awareness for the activities of Wikipedia and all related projects in Gombe state and its environs.Oludegun (talk) 15:39, 18 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Ptinphusmia (talk) 10:40, 29 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support —Gwanki✉ 17:44, 9 November 2021 (UTC)