Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed
- Recruit new female editors.
- Increase Wikipedia editing skills for existing and new editors.
- Add and improve content on female Peruvian artists from different periods and fields.
- Descentralize the A+F campaign in Peru, organizing the first event outside the capital, Lima, and building capacity on new A+F organizers in the country.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We are planning a series of 2 editathons focused on improving articles about female artists. The first editathon will take place in the city of Lima on March 7, 2020 at the Cultural Center of Spain. The second Editathon will take place in the city of Trujillo in August 2020 at the Casa de la Identidad Regional. Each event will have an approximate duration of 7 hours and will include at least one training session on Wikipedia edition of between 30 and 45 minutes, as well as, permanent advice to the participants. The first event will focus mainly on the creation of biographies of contemporary and historical visual artists from all over Peru. The second event will have a broader focus on women in the performing arts, literature, and film, especially from the northern region of the country. In addition, for the second event, we plan to have the presence of the General Coordinator of the Afro-Peruvian Museum of Zaña, who will be in charge of creating pages on Afro-Peruvian women artists and will be part of the organizing committee, in order to be able to organize an editing event on Wikipedia at the Afro-Peruvian Museum of Zaña in 2020 or early 2021.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We plan to carry out the promotion both online and offline. In both events we will have the support of the host institutions to carry out outreach through their communication channels: website, social networks, sending press releases. Centro Cultural de España's Facebook page has over 111,000 followers. We will also carry out dissemination through email, as we have the email addresses of the people who have participated in our previous events, and through our own social networks on Facebook and Instagram. At Wikipedia, we plan to request the creation of an announcement through the Central Notice system, as we have done in the past. We will also post the event on the editatones broadcast pages and leave invitations on the discussion pages of participants from our previous events.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, User Yhhue91 and Lapalabranecesaria will lead the trainings. Both editors have organized 5 Art+Feminism editathons, 2 editathons on human rights, in 2016 and 2017, and we provide support to the WikiLovesAndes editathones in the form of Wikipeda editing sesions.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- As for the equipment, in both venues it will be a requirement that participants have their own laptop to participate in the event. The communication pieces of both events will indicate the target audience of the event: visual artists; activists with a gender focus; art workers in the fields of art history, curatorship, teaching, education; journalists; students of humanities, social sciences and visual arts; general public with an interest in the arts, digital platforms, activism with a gender focus, research and writing. As for the quality of content, the Cultural Centre of Spain has a library specialized in visual arts from which we will draw reference materials. We also have a physical and digital archive of information sources collected during the 5 previous editions of the editathon. In the case of Trujillo, we have the support of a teacher from the Universidad Nacional del Santa to carry out between March and July, the process of compiling the sources of information that will be made available to participants .
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- After the event, we will leave welcome messages on the participants' talk pages.
- We will send an email to participants with the results of the events and with suggestions on how to continue editing on Wikipedia and get involved in A+F.
- Through our social networks we will progressively publish the new or improved pages to motivate participants to continue editing.
- We plan to monitor the work of participants through the Dashboard and will provide support to those who require it.
- We have a support group on Facebook.
- Participants will receive certificates after the event.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The organizers of the event constitute the collective called Arte+Feminismo Peru, which exists since 2015 and is one of the main disseminators of Wikimedia culture in Peru. Among our achievements are the organization of 5 editatones A + F in the city of Lima, 2 editathons on human rights, along with the Place of Memory, Tolerance and Social Inclusion and also, recently, we have been allies of the organization Vasos Comunicantes to carry out the editathons Wiki Loves Andes, in which we provide editing workshops on Wikipedia. Enriched by this last experience, we believe that it is necessary to decentralize the Art+Feminism campaign in Peru, organizing events outside the capital but above all building capacity and transferring the organizational experience we have acquired to key actors, so that they can effectively organize their own Art+Feminism events in the near future. We decided to hold the event in August 2020 in order to have enough time to carry out the collection of information sources, as well as, because it is the date that best suits the calendars of the entire organizing committee and venue. Thus, we have allied with a professor from the Universidad Nacional del Santa and the Regional Identity House in Trujillo and with the General Coordinator of the Afro-Peruvian Museum in Zaña to work together to generate a community oWikipedia contributors in their regions. On the other hand, we are excited to hold the event in Lima at Cultural Center of Spain. The editathon will be part of a series of activities for International Women's Day, including a solo exhibition by artist Teresa Carvallo Rey, feminist art workshops, talks and concerts by women artists. As for the prices for participants, this year we have A+F merchandising for all participants, however we have seen in previousr events that having awards such as Amazon cards or books for the most productive publishers positively encourages participants, especially in places where there is no history of events linked to Wikipedia, as is the case of Trujillo.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 2
- Number of participants: 30 per event
- Number of new editors: around 20 in the Lima event and around 30 in the Trujiilo event.
- Number of of articles created or improved: 40
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): It's very unlike that there are repeated participants as the events will happen in different cities.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
Arte+Feminismo Peru will be in charge of the general coordination of the event, as well as providing the workshops on Wikipedia editing and following up on the participants and the content created or improved.
The Cultural Center of Spain and the House of Identity will provide their venues for free, the logistics (tables, cables, wireless internet, etc.), and dissemination through their communication channels. The Cultural Centre of Spain will also provide access to its bibliographic collection.
The professor of the Universidad Nacional del Santa will support us in the bibliographic compilation for the second event, as well as, to connect with the student population to invite them to participate. Other resources provided by the venues are technical support and photo registration.
As in past events, we will have the support of 3 volunteers at each event, who will help us provide personalized advice to participants.
As for merchandising, we have bags, stickers and pins provided by Art+Feminism. We also have an editing guide developed throughout the events we have organized. We provide a printed copy to each participant.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Food and drink for 30 people = $250 x 2 events = $500
- Printing of bibliographic materials and 60 editing guides x 2 events = $ 170
- Office supplies (name tags, señalética) = $ 30
- Costs of photocopies and digitalization of reference materials (Trujillo event) = $ 30
- Prizes for 3 outstanding editors:
- 1 Amazon 50$ gift card = 50 $
- 2 books = 50$
Transport and accommodation
- Transport for the organizing team (Lima event) = $30
- Transport of the organizers for the work of compiling reference materials (Trujillo event), 3 round trips = $ 30
- Transport for the organizing team (Trujillo event) = $30
- Volunteer team transportation (Lima event), 3 round trips = $ 30
- Volunteer team transportation (Trujillo event), 3 round trips = $ 30
- Travel expenses for 2 Arte+Feminismo Peru team members Lima - Trujillo = $150
- Hotel for 2 nights in Trujillo x 3 people (Arte+Feminismo Perú and General Coordinator Afroperuvian Museum in Zaña) = $150
- Travel Expenses of General Coordinator Afroperuvian Museum in Zaña = $60
- 3 meals for 3 days (Arte+Feminismo Perú and General Coordinator Afroperuvian Museum in Zaña) = $100
- Wire transfer fees: $50
Total = 1490 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!