Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content on Wikipedia about female artists and feminist culture with a special focus on the field of videogames and media art.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
It's our first A+F editathon in Italy, so this time is one editathon, but we hope will become an annual event focused on female artists.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
We created the wiki page, the program page on the dashboard, RSPV, Facebook event and we will write on the comunity portal asking wikipedians to give us a hand (by reporting wikipedians that might be interested to partecipate, drawing up lists, checking for notability, begining online wikifacilitators). We are sending out a press release and we created different news post on the Wikimedia Italia website We will use social network to engage with indipendent artists, experts and media critics in the field who might be interested in participating and/or promoting the event.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
Our team has a group of 4-5 expert wikipedians who will run a morning tutorial on how to edit and create articles on Wikipedia, how to deal with the notability criteria (wich is the most controversial and not easy to understand), how to upload images on Commons etc. These expert wikipedians will be then available all the day to help participants writing entries.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
Often our partecipants are newbies, people who has any experience. Our goal is to make them begin confidential, creating constancy on working on Wikipedia. After a brief training lesson, we will support them during the event for writing entries. We will provide bibliographic materials and online resources for the research and writing session. In addition to the Wikipedia training and tutorial sessions, we will also provide a brief introduction on the specific topic of the edit-a-thon (female artists working in media art, videogames and technology). To do this, we are inviting an artist to give a short talk about her experience as a woman in a mostly male oriented art field - experimental videogames and media art.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
We will use social network to report the results of the event to participants and discuss future editathon.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
This editathon is part of the 6 ones organized in Italy. Here in Milan we decided to focus the editathon on writing entries about female artists, feminist culture and feminist content from a specific art field: experimental video games and interactive art. The idea is to keep working on this topic and make it a research focus for future local editathon in Italy involving even more artists, association and institutions from this specific art field.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participants: 50
- Number of new editors: 30
- Number of of articles created or improved: 25
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). We are organizing this event in collaboration with the WikiDonne group and BASE Milano (who kindly provides us with the room, tables and chairs, the video projector and the audio installation) and we don't receive any other additional funding. Other people involved in the organization:
- Yiyi - wikifacilitator
- FrussiWM - communication
- Annamariandrea - content design and curator of suggested entries to write for the specific topic of the editathon
- Rodidon - Wikipedian since 2008
- iopensa - Wikipedian since 2006 and organizer of Wikimania Esino Lario 2016
- Tremej - Regional coordinator in Lombardia region for Wikimedia Italy and member of the Wikimania Esino Lario 2016 organising committee.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Food, drink and coffee = 750 EUR (790 USD)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!