Grants:PEG/Wikimedia Ghana User Group/GLAM GHANA
- 1 Project idea
- 2 Pilot and Feasibility Testing
- 3 Goal
- 4 Plan
- 4.1 Project scope
- 4.2 Activities Summary
- 4.3 Project Management and Administration
- 4.4 Resources and risks
- 4.5 Risks
- 5 Budget
- 6 Discussion
What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
Lack of backup or evidence of historical artifacts and facts due to damages, loss or sheer mismanagement is removing the level of accuracy in our history.
Inability to globally share our history removes the benefit of accessibility to resourceful information on the global Web for the use of researchers or individuals with an interest in Ghana. Most of these records can be found in the archives but most of them are in bad conditions that if care is not taken they will be lost forever. According to PRAADmost of these records are deteriorating and there is an urgent call for digitization of these records. Again, editors writing about Ghanaians and other things of Ghanaian origin find it very difficult to establish their notability because of lack of information of these people or facts; and even if they exist, they are normally poorly covered on the web and mostly on the Libraries etc that can be accessed on the web.
What is your solution?Edit
To promote Ghanaian culture and heritage through multimedia content uploads on Wikimedia Commons and source documents on Wikisource that will compliment existing or future articles on Wikipedia and other sister projects. The Wikipedia Library (TWL) may also benefit indirectly from this cause, through our partnership with the Ghana Libraries Authority. Our focus is to promote open and free learning of historical contents about the Ghanaian culture, heritage, etc. This project will help us to reduce the tendency of future losses of Ghanaian data through fires and other disasters or even mismanagement.
Activities will include taking pictures or scanning, if necessary and cataloging Ghanaian contents and uploading them onto Wikimedia Commons and Wikisource to ensure accuracy of historical facts and to eliminate possible loss of evidence. In situations where necessary, applicable documents would be digitized before uploading and (or) placed in formats that will directly benefit other Wikimedia Projects such as Wikisource, Wikipedia, etc.
Pilot and Feasibility TestingEdit
To ensure that we pursued a good cause and to satisfy our reason for this quest, users Flixtey and Rberchie conducted a pilot of the anticipated project with PRAAD and The National Museum in Accra. We also used the opportunity to explain our intentions and to secure partnerships for the project ahead. Below is a copy of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between us and the institution, and we will be working with.
Gallery of photos covered under the pilot phase
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to:|
Category:Pilot Phase (GLAM Ghana)
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences).
Our goal is to increase Ghanaian content on Wikipedia.This will be done by creating a depository for Ghanaian content which hitherto were not on Wikipedia and its sister projects which will enhance accessibility of Ghanaian history and heritage and also make it easier for editors to establish notability of Ghanaian contents.
- This will include taking pictures of various museums and mausoleums as well as buildings of historical importance and national monuments.
- Pictures of artifacts, paintings, wood carvings and metal work in the museums which will be permitted.
- Maps, city plans, plans of major buildings, etc.
- Government documents such as agreements, treaties, bonds, etc.
We hope to undertake this project (Photo Expeditions, Edit-a-thons and content gathering by WIRs) within a period of six (6) months.
- Wikipedia in Residence (WIR) Program - For the entire 6 months duration.
- Photo-Expeditions - Two (2) within the project duration of 6 months.
- Edit-a-thons/Upload Session - One (1) every other month during the 6 months duration.
Below are a list of the places to be possibly visited;
PRAAD (WIR Program)Edit
Public Records and Archives Administration Department Ghana have agreed to partner with us on the project. This institution will host our WIR for the entire duration of the project. For the pilot phase of this project, the WIR will be situated at the Accra PRAAD office. Below are a list of items that may be collated for use on the various Wikimedia Projects;
- Maps (country maps, city maps, vegetation maps, minerals distribution maps, etc.)
- Government documents (such as;contracts,MOUs etc.)
- Official letters
- Pictures (postal stamps, agreements, bonds, etc.)
- Records of events
- Sessional address of the Presidents of Ghana before and after independence.
Detail Activities TimelineEdit
- Month 1 - Historical agreements (bonds, treaties, and pacts of colonial and modern times including referendum).
- Month 2 - City maps, plans, drawings, land boundaries and plans of historical buildings in the capital (Precolonial and postcolonial).
- Month 3 - Sessional addresses of various Presidents and Parliament of different republic Head of States.
- Month 4 - Pictures of various important public figures (colonial administrators, presidents, etc.) and various landmark projects including their commissioning + Various important newspapers or filings that will support some key articles we intend to write on.
- Month 5 - Court cases, Judgements and rulings of key issues (Woyome against the state, etc.)
- Month 6 - Land & Conversion bulletins + Reporting and storytelling
Museums and Monuments Board (Photo-Expeditions)Edit
The Ghana Museums and Monuments Board has given us the go ahead to capture all encyclopedic contents on all forts, castles, museums and sites across all the 10 regions of Ghana. However under the project duration (6 months) we will cover 2 regions across the country. Activities in this section will be in the form of photo-expeditions where at least 2-3 people travel from Accra to meet up with other photographers and photo fanatics in the communities of visit. This approach we believe will cut down on cost of travel and increase our reach that may later translate into new contributors to commons.
We have categorized 2 activities for the period of the project to cover museum, monuments and eco-tourist sites in each region we visit.
Detail Activities TimelineEdit
- Month 1 - Ashanti Region
- Month 2 - Volta Region
- Contents gathering by WIR throughout the 6 month period.
- 3 edit-a-thons/upload sessions throughout the project duration (6 months).
- 2 photo-expeditions throughout the entire project duration (6 months).
This project due to the the wider remit of GLAM will involve most of Wikimedia projects.
- Wikimedia Commons a repository for Ghanaian contents that will be gathered
- Wikipedia creation and improvement of articles of Libraries,museums,monuments and archives.
- Wikisource will incorporate it into the Library project if training is received.
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
This project will focus on increasing quality of sources for the (re) use of editors.
- Increasing accessibility to reliable sources for editors
- Increasing participation by subject matter experts to perform surface and in-depth reviews
- Photo events with associated edit-a-thons focused on integrating media on wiki projects
Through the 3 edit-a-thons designed for this project, new editors may be recruited or existing editors may be engaged with edits (to be active).
- Active interest-group collaboration on identifying articles for improvement
- Topic-specific edit-a-thon (on forts and castles, museums, other relevant documents)
- The Photo-Expeditions will engage people from all walks of life (both Wikimedians and non-wikimedians).
Measures of successEdit
Measures of success for WIR ProgramEdit
- Scan and upload a minimum of 100 essential documents of Ghanaian origin per month.
- Take and upload over 100 pictures of historical relevance per month.
- Create an article for PRAAD and update it with some of the documents in their depository.
- Number of relationships and partnerships to be established 4-9
Measures of success for Photo-ExpeditionsEdit
- Upload at least a minimum of 200 quality images per trip from Ghanaian museums, monuments and eco-tourism sites.
- Upload a total of 400 quality images after the two (2) trips (photo expeditions)
- Take and upload pictures of all the Forts, Castles, monuments and eco-tourism sites in the aforementioned regions including their holdings.
- Upload pictures of museums and monuments in Ghana and items that we will be allowed to be captured.
- Take and upload pictures of landmarks, important buildings and monuments in Ghana.
- Create and (or) improve articles of places of visit.
- Establish relationships with 5 partners.
Project Management and AdministrationEdit
This explains the framework of the entire project and how clearly work intends to be done in order to achieve the level of success expected. The project will engage the activities one (1) coordinator (volunteer role, will be called on as and when there is the need) and one (1) Wikipedia in Residence (WIR) for the GLAM.
The one project coordinator (will be a volunteer to execute particular tasks as and when the need arises, may not necessarily be a particular volunteer, as it may vary due to availability) will be responsible for the administration works of the project. His/Her duties include;
- Call for WIR and recruitment of WIR
- Monitoring and supervision of WIR to ensure efficiency and effectiveness at post.
- Social media and PR management.
- Forging partnerships with GLAM bodies in Ghana for future or similar Wikimedia projects.
- Ghana Library Authority
- Ghana Broadcasting Corporation
- Institute of African Studies
- Ministry of Tourism and creative arts
- National Film and Television Institute
- Ministry of Information
Wikipedia in Residence (WIR)Edit
The WIR will be responsible for the collation of contents to Wikimedia Projects. Their duties include;
- Take and upload or scan quality pictures or contents from GLAM partners.
- Look for information from partners to help improve articles already on Wikipedia or yet to be created.
- Preservation of information.(Digitization)
- Scanning of books and pictures for upload.
Resources and risksEdit
Project Team username or email
- User:Rberchie an active member of Wikimedia User Group Ghana and a Grantee for a couple of projects.
- User:Flixtey Community Manager for Wikimedia User group Ghana and Grantee for most projects.
- User:Nkansahrexford a former Wikimedian in Residence for the Africa Center and a participant of GLAM WIKI 2015.
- User:Kwameghana a photojournalist and an active member of Wikimedia Ghana User Group.
- User:Gramalow a GLAM enthusiast.
- User:Celestinesucess an active member of the Wikimedia Ghana User Group.
- User:Evemahmoud an active member of the Wikimedia Ghana User Group
|Lack of interest by organisations in promoting the project||
|Time needed to complete project||
|Low quality images of pictures and documents||
WIR and Coordinator will undergo a 1 day training prior to the project
|Selection of the right people for the position of WIR||
||We will advertise the role of the WIR to ensure maximum applications are received and proper screening done before selection.|
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
|ITEMS||QUANTITY||UNIT PRICE $||TOTAL PRICE $||COMMENTS|
|WIR||1*6 months||$1,000 per month||$6,000||Will be assigned to an institution to collate information or data for WMF projects. Will also help in coordinating the Edit-a-thons and upload sessions that will be held during the project span.|
|Media||1||This amount is meant to enable us give some honorarium to media persons who will cover some part of the project (mini/press conference) and an advertisement in the dailies to PR our works and promote the activities of Wikimedia Ghana Usergroup and GLAM Ghana Project as haven solved one of the key problems of archiving in the country.( The practice in Ghana is that an event organizer pays for the transportation and feeding of press who come to take coverage of projects. This will also help foment ties with media as a community and makes it easier to call on the media for coverage of subsequent projects.)|
|Badges/Tags||1 pcs||15||For easy identification at the premises of partner institutions|
|For presence and free advertisement. Also to award participants of the photo donation campaign as well as contact persons at the partner institutions for publicity and a parting gift for participating organizations. Other souvenirs available will be attached.|
|Internet||155||To enable uploads of WIR work, and photo donation upload sessions and edit-a-thons.|
|Edit-a-thons/Upload Sessions||3||180||540||To build/write texts around contents we have gathered and to also enable people who have photos that they may wish to donate to commons for the period.|
|To gain community participation in a photo hunt exercise while we cover the museums, monuments and eco-tourist sites across 8 regions.|
|Hand Scanners||1||565||565||A ScanSnap SV600 to enable scanning of documents and books of all types.|
|Laptops||500||For storing, processing and uploading content and also aid in all administrative work.|
|Contingency Expenses||1||197.50||Cover other petty costs uncounted for, that might be incurred in the course of the project. (eg: payment of some scanned documents at PRAAD, buying batteries for hand scanners, etc) this also take care of unforeseen expenditure that may not be readily known or budgeted for.|
Details of Photo-ExpeditionsEdit
Travel 3 (number of participants) * $100 = $300 * 2 (locations) = $600 Feeding 15 (number of participants) * $6 = $90 * 2 (locations) = $180 Accommodation 3 (number of participants) * $50 = $150 * 2 (locations) = $300 Total $480 + $180+ $300 = $1080
Coordinator tasks breakdownEdit
|Item||Quantity (Number of People)||Unit Cost||Budget||Comments|
|Water||3 cartons||$10||$30||A carton contains 24 pieces of water, meaning a person is entitled to at least 2 pcs at the event.|
|Pastries / Finger Foods (Snack)||30 pcs||$3||$90||The only snack that will be shared for the event. It will be a set of finger foods to pick from throughout the meeting.|
|Drinks||30 pcs||$2||$60||A drink to compliment the pastries that will be served.|
|Advert in Dailies||$135||To PR our works as haven solved one of the critical issues of archiving and safeguarding our history from getting lost over time. An avenue to also gain partnership with other institutions who face similar challenges and share our efforts in making education open and easily accessible.|
|Transportation to invited TV/Radio shows||$65||This is an allotment made towards the possibility of been invited to speak on TV/Radio shows.|
Total cost of projectEdit
Total amount requestedEdit
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
Additional sources of revenueEdit
Venue costs for the three (3) edit-a-thons have been catered for and not included in the budget. Our patnership with the Goethe Institute and the Linux Accra will give the venues for the named events for free. Ordinarily that should value around:
3 venues * GHC 500 = GHC 1,500 appx. $412.10
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- The Glam mailing list has been notified here
- The Wikimedia Ghana User Group has been notified
- The project has been shared on social media
- The Wikipedia Library
- Wikisource User Group
- Africa Wikimedian Mailing List
- GLAM Discussion page on Outreach
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Ghana needs to be highlighted in the global arena and this is a key project to achieve that. 22.214.171.124 19:52, 8 September 2015 (UTC)
- I like both premises and extent of this project. Very important. Support. --Virginia Gentilini (talk) 11:42, 9 September 2015 (UTC)
- I really like the Wikisource part :-) Aubrey (talk) 14:47, 9 September 2015 (UTC)
- I personally saw an artifact at a museum in Accra, which is damaging slowly; and if care is not taken, it will eventually be lost forever. This project I believe will keep this artifact of historical importance safe for future referencing. Evemahmoud (talk) 15:50, 10 September 2015 (UTC)
- Much to like about this project — it addresses an area where we have rather poor coverage, it strengthens the GLAM activities in Africa, it spans across Wikimedia projects. Can't say whether the budget is appropriate, though, nor do I think I know the people involved. -- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 22:54, 11 September 2015 (UTC)
- It seems very important to me, I think they really need this support. --Phyrexian ɸ 17:04, 24 September 2015 (UTC)
- It is important that we ensure we support initiatives in Ghana to make more historical information available. Leutha (talk) 22:25, 16 November 2015 (UTC)
- Strong support for this, especially the WikiSource aspect. Battleofalma (talk) 18:11, 17 November 2015 (UTC)
- Samsung@gmail.com 126.96.36.199 04:32, 28 January 2018 (UTC)