Significant effort has been made to engage Wikimedia communities of the region in sharing their needs and expectations related to the annual meeting:
- Public meta page has been created to facilitate data collection,
- 2 meetups were held during Wikimedia Conference 2015 (one of them concentrating especially on the design of the annual meeting) and there was a meetup at Wikimania 2015,
- There has been significant communication about the annual meeting on the mailing list of the regional collaborative, as well as reminders posted on the CEE Facebook group.
Wikimedia Eesti has negotiated a suitable venue for reasonable price, as well as to solve possible logistical and technical issues:
- The venue for the meeting has been chosen and confirmed, good communication with its representatives has been established,
- Local logistics are principally resolved and international travel and visas will be handled in August.
- Wikimedia Eesti has created a registration form for conference participants and registration opened on 3 August 2015 (also see the registration form).
Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2015 established an international programme committee to transform the collected input about needs and expectations of the different communities into a relevant and impactful programme:
1. During the Wikimedia Conference 2015 meetup, it was decided that the programme will concentrate on following topics:
- sharing learnings from different (successful and unsuccessful) practices in the region,
- practical workshops on Wikidata and on tools,
- sharing projects that can be completed with relatively little financial input,
- collaborative work on future cross-community collaboration projects (like CEE Spring 2015 was created during CEE meeting 2014.
- the survey was launched for CEE members people to provide input publicly on Meta (see Questions and Needs subpage on the event page).
2. The programme committee was formed during Wikimania 2015 meetup,
3. The active working phase of the programme committee has been planned for the beginning of August, and the programme will be published on the 15th of August 2015.
The meeting will take place in the form of a retreat in the countryside of Estonia. The chosen venue will provide seclusion from everyday distractions, as well as from possible sightseeing temptations, which will ensure an effective working environment throughout the meeting.
|9-10 September 2015||Arrival of participants in Estonia||Possible sightseeing activity and general preparations for the meeting|
|10 September 2015||Welcome dinner in Tartu||Icebreaker and creation of an effective meeting atmosphere|
|11-13 September 2015||Conference days in the venue||Active meeting work according to the meeting programme|
|13 September 2015||Farewell dinner in Tartu||Increasing social integrity among the participants and, therefore, the feasibility of planned collaborative projects|
|14 September 2015||Departure of participants from Estonia||Possible sightseeing activity|
Documentation. Wikimedia Eesti will do its best to document the entire meeting and share learnings and experiences with the wider movement. According to the plan, there will be textual notes of all sessions and video recordings of some sessions (WMEE does not have a video recorder, but we shall ask the participants to bring their own equipment if they can). Recording, processing, and uploading will be done by volunteers, and videos will be published under the CC-BY-SA 4.0 licence and uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. All materials will be published by 31 October 2015.
Evaluation. After the meeting, attendees will be surveyed to evaluate general satisfaction of meeting participants. Also a general analysis of the conference organisation, its form and programme will be made to support future meeting organisers. The results of these activities will be published by 31 October 2015.
Projects. Sharing experiences and learning about each others’ projects, in addition to the programme design activities related to this meeting, will lead to more concrete collaborative efforts, which will result in actual on-wiki impact to various Wikimedia projects in many languages. Ideally, basic stub pages (short project descriptions) or plans for these projects will also be published by the end of October 2015.
- Wikimedia projects in all CEE languages (Albanian, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Belarusian, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Estonian, Georgian, German, Greek, Hungarian, Kazakh, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Turkish, Ukrainian, also several smaller regional languages)
- Wikimedia Commons
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
The main strategic goal of Wikimedia CEE meeting is to encourage innovation and this on different levels:
- on the one hand, the meeting creates an inspiring atmosphere with brainstorming opportunities, which will help attendees to come up with new ideas for regional collaboration or local coordinated activity,
- on the other hand, sharing and learning will support implementation of successful projects in new communities.
As the Wikimedia CEE Meeting is a meeting of community leaders, it provides good support in achieving other strategic goals of the movement as well: Regionally shared experiences and tips will help local leaders to actively support the increase of quality by promoting the usage of tools and techniques utilized by other wikicommunities in their language versions of the Wikimedia projects. These learnings are vital in increasing participation in these projects (see Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2015/Questions&Needs for more information).
CEE Meetings try to involve the whole region and also reach out to less active communities, inspiring their leaders and providing learning resources from the region that can and most probably also will increase the reach of Wikimedia projects. Gender gap is going to be one of the issues to focus on (for example, trying to involve more women in the organisation team and in the international programme committee from the very start).
Giving more attention to documentation and movement-wide sharing, Wikimedia Eesti believes that Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2015 will not only contribute towards achieving these goals on a regional level, but also will provide support to Wikimedia activists around the globe.
- Outcomes of the last CEE meeting
The main direct outcome of CEE Meeting 2014 (Kyiv, Ukraine) was the launching of the hugely successful Wikimedia CEE Spring article contest, our first full-scale regional cooperation involving most of the communities of the region. CEE WikiCamp 2015 was organised by Shared Knowledge (Macedonia) as a follow-up to the contest itself. For more outcomes, please see the grant report for the meeting and the post-conference survey. There were more than 2,838 articles created, although 1,000 were planned. There were 19 participants at the final event, although 10 were planned.
The personal challenge 100wikidays is another relevant and noteworthy outcome of CEEM 2014, as the links developed among the participants from CEE countries during the conference helped to spread the word about the challenge and inspired many other editors from the region to join as well. This challenge is not an official CEE project, but it is a sterling example of the mutual inspiration aspect of CEE, and it is still going strong! As of 31 July 2015, 28 of the 71 participants, and 7 of the 9 who accomplished the challenge, are from the CEE region. To date, more than 2,800 articles in at least 33 languages have been created.
Also, this year more CEE countries took part in Wiki Loves Earth photo competition. Namely, Wikimedians of Bulgaria organised WLE in 2015 in Bulgaria for the first time, and Poland participated for the first time as well.
Other events and projects organised by affiliates of the region (or interesting for them globally) may be found in WMCEE Calendar 2015.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risksEdit
The core team consists of employees and board members of Wikimedia Eesti:
- Kaarel Vaidla (executive director)
- Mattias Jõesaar (assistant)
- Eva Lepik (board member)
- Tanel Pern (board member)
- Sven-Erik Soosaar (board member)
- Teele Vaalma (board member)
There is also support from the international CEE community:
- Antanana (WMUA)
- Лорд Бъмбъри / Nikola Kalchev (Wikimedians of Bulgaria)
- Cornelius Kibelka (WMDE)
- Asaf Bartov (WMF)
Wikimedia Eesti is currently working on putting together a local voluntary team to support good organisation and management of the event.
The international programme committee:
- Levon Azizian (Wikimedia Ukraine)
- Asaf Bartov (Wikimedia Foundation)
- Tomasz Ganicz (Wikimedia Polska)
- Eva Lepik (Wikimedia Eesti)
- Sven-Erik Soosaar (Wikimedia Eesti)
- Kaarel Vaidla (Wikimedia Eesti)
- Greta Doçi (Albania)
- Vassia Atanassova (Wikimedians of Bulgaria)
- Elgun Ataliyev (Azerbaijani Wikimedians)
- Cornelius Kibelka (Wikimedia Deutschland; advising)
- Wikimedia Eesti has organised international seminars for small finno-ugric Wikipedias (in 2014 and also in 2015)
- Learnings from previous CEE meetings (2012, 2013 and 2014) have been shared and the organiser of last year, Wikimedia Ukraine, is mentoring Wikimedia Estonia through the process
- Wikimedia Deutschland has shared its experience of organising the Wikimedia Conference and its appointed Program and Engagement Coordinator Cornelius Kibelka is providing support to the organising team of Wikimedia CEE meeting 2015
- There have been CEE meetups on Wikimedia Conference 2015 and Wikimania 2015 where issues related to organising the event have been discussed, as well as most of the participating communities have provided input to the programme committee by filling in questions and needs questionnaire
- Representatives of larger chapters in the region (Wikimedia Polska, Wikimedia Serbia) are available for consultation, as well as staff of the Wikimedia Foundation
|Possible fiscal problems due to absence of local sponsors and possible rejection of current PEG grant||
|Lack of interest and participation of attendees||
|Possible burnout of the staff and board of Wikimedia Eesti||
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
Budget table is represented in local currency, i.e. EUR.
Exchange rate 1 EUR = 1.09480 USD (as of the 5th of August 2015, Oanda.com)
|Nr.||Item description||Unit||Quantity||Cost per unit||Total cost||WMF contribution||Other sources||Comments|
|1.||Travel related costs||17,160.00||10,305.00||7,855.00||Travel costs include international travel for international participants, domestic travel for all participants and visas for those who need it.|
|1.1.||International travel||participant||56||250.00||15,000.00||7,250.00||7,750.00||Average travel costs have been calculated according to travel estimates (Google Drive working document). It is expected that 27 out of 56 guests (representatives of APG funded chapters, i.e. Wikimedia Serbia and Wikimedia Armenia, as well as locally well funded Wikimedia Polska) will not need scolarship.|
|1.2.||Domestic travel||participant||72||30.00||2,160.00||2,160.00||0.00||Quotes from AS SEBE and Tuuliku Reisid. There is a possibility to reduce domestic travel costs if arrival of meeting participants is well managed and a collective bus can be rented.|
|1.3.||Visas||participant||20||50.00||1,000.00||895.00||105.00||Not all participants will need a visa and some of those who need one already have one. Most probably the number here will be reduced. There are also 2 price levels of visa available, one being 35 euros and other 60 euros.|
|2.||Accomodation||5,592.00||2,961.00||2,403.00||Accomodation costs include pre- and post-conference accomodation in hotel in Tartu, as well as accomodation on the conference site at Voore.|
|2.1.||Hotel in Tartu||participant||56||51.00||2,856.00||1,479.00||1,377.00||Quote from Hotel Tartu in town center (twin rooms). Breakfast included. Thursday and Sunday nights calculated for all participants. There may be some late arrivals, as well as early leavers, so the costs may be reduced.|
|2.2.||Stay in Voore||participant||72||38.00||2,508.00||1,482.00||1,026.00||Quote from conference venue Voore Puhkekeskus. 2 nights, including breakfasts. Also including representatives of Wikimedia Eesti and conference volunteers.|
|3.||Catering||5,850.00||5,850.00||0.00||Lunch and dinner on conference venue, coffee breaks, as well as welcome and farewell dinners in Tartu.|
|3.1.||Main courses during the event||participant||72||32.50||2,340.00||2,340.00||0.00||Lunches and dinners at Voore Puhkekeskus, based on the quote.|
|3.2.||Coffee breaks on the site||participant||72||10.00||720.00||720.00||0.00||Coffee breaks during the conference.|
|3.3.||Welcome dinner||participant||62||25.00||1,550.00||1,550.00||0.00||Main course, dessert and one drink calculated according to average prices in Tartu.|
|3.4.||Farewell dinner||participant||62||20.00||1,240.00||1,240.00||0.00||Main course and one drink calculated according to average prices in Tartu.|
|4.||Event||1,001.00||1,001.00||0.00||Rent for the venue, as well as recreational activities for participants.|
|4.1.||Rent||day||3||167.00||501.00||501.00||0.00||Rent of the venue with technical equipment (2 projectors and microphones) for the event, according to the quote.|
|4.2.||Recreational activities||evening||2||250.00||500.00||500.00||0.00||Recreational activities for the evening, according to the quotes.|
|5.||Materials||316.00||100.00||216.00||Paper materials and pens for the conference.|
|5.1.||Program leaflet & nametag||participant||72||3.00||216.00||0.00||216.00||Small program leaflet to go with the nametag. Will be printed and transported by Wikimedia Polska.|
|5.2.||Pens||participant||100||1.00||100.00||100.00||0.00||Pens for notetaking and to serve as memorabilia.|
|6.||Administrative costs||3,299.90||3,299.90||0.00||Costs for administration, including bank expenses, communication costs, as well as unforeseen costs.|
|6.1.||Bank expenses||estimate||N/A||30.00||30.00||30.00||0.00||A general estimate of bank transaction fees.|
|6.2.||Communication costs||estimate||N/A||50.00||50.00||50.00||0.00||A general estimate for postal fees and phone bills.|
|6.3.||Taxes||estimate||N/A||200.00||200.00||200.00||0.00||Taxes to be payed for representatives of WIkimedia Eesti to take part in social events.|
|6.4.||Unforeseen||project||1||3,019.90||3,019.90||3,019.90||0.00||10% of the total grant sum. This includes unforeseen events and change in costs, mainly related to international travel, where ticket fees will increase, as the conference approaches.|
- Total cost of project
- 33,990.90 EUR = 37,213.20 USD
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- In total 23,516.90 EUR = 25,746.30 USD requested directly from Wikimedia Foundation (the rest provided by bigger participating chapters)
- 4,700.00 EUR = 5,145.56 USD already allocated through APG process.
- 18,816.90 EUR = 20,600.74 USD requested from PEG process with current proposal.
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Some of the participating chapters (i.e. APG funded chapters Wikimedia Serbia and Wikimedia Armenia, as well as locally well funded Wikimedia Polska) will pay for their own participation. There may be other participants willing to pay for their participation.
- According to current calculation this sum is 10,474.00 EUR = 11,466.94 USD.
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
- Participation of some of the staff members of Wikimedia Foundation. To be specified with the Program Committee
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- There have been several announcements regarding this event on the mailing list and the Facebook group of Wikimedia CEE collaborative
- A meta page has been created to share the information in an effective and public manner.
- Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2015 has been discussed in regional meetups at the Wikimedia Conference 2015 and Wikimania 2015 (see more for preparations)
- Efforts have been made to reach out to representatives of less active communities in a personal manner by sending emails and talking to people via social media and during offline meetings.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.