Grants:PEG/Violetova/Wikipedian in Residence at DARM
- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Resources and risks
- 4 Budget
- 5 Discussion
- 6 See also
This will be my second term as Wikipedian in Residence at The Arhives of Republic of Macedonia (DARM). The goal of this activity is to continue to work with GLAM staff and serve as a liaison between the Archives and the Wikimedia community. Educating the GLAM employees on Wikimedia projects, on how to upload files on Commons, which are release for public domain, as well on how to create new articles or improve the existing ones, using the books and materials from the Archives, is one of the goals. I will be responsible for coordinating and organizing special events, such as edith-a-thons, Wikipedian tours, which will bring Wikipedians on-site to work with staff on content creation and improvement. To host a contest and thematic editing weeks is a very important goal, because the volunteers will have a chance to incorporate uploaded materials into articles.
Continuing on 1th of July 2016, till 31st of December 2016, the activities will be as this:
- Be at the office every working day, and spread the word about Wikimedia projects to the GLAM employees
- Travel to cities where the State Archives have Departments to get released files
- Collaborate with the staff from the Archives on a regular basis
- Train the GLAM employees to use Wikipedia, to create articles and to add references
- Upload the files on Commons
- Encourage the volunteers to create new articles based on the materials from the Archives and to improve the existing articles with text, files, photos
- Hold an edit-a-thons, thematic editing weeks and Wikipedian tour in the Archives
- Coordinate a contest (DARM Challenge) to encourage volunteers to use uploaded files in the articles
- Write the weekly WiR diary
- all other language Wikimedia projects which could find the files useful.
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- To make strong partnership with the Archives
- To spread the word about Wikimedia projects at GLAM institutions
- To educate new editors from a target group - GLAM employees
- To increase accessibility to reliable sources for editors
- To coordinate an events, such as edit-a-thons and contest (Challenge), which will bring Wikipedians on-site to work with staff or from home, on content creation and improvement.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- at least 1500 uploaded files after 6 months
- at least 100 improved and/or new articles after 6 months, made by GLAM employees and other Wikipedians (including the contest's results)
- at least 10% of uploaded files used in new or existing articles
Resources and risksEdit
I am Violetova and I have been part of many projects till now. I am Wikipedian in Residence at DARM in the past six months. Some of the activities as WiR, I will carry out with my cyrillic username: Виолетова. My first focus in the next term will be the documents and photos from Yanaki and Milton Manaki. The category Category:Manaki Brothers in the moment has 26 files in total. I am already in negotiation with the management of Bitola Department of the Archives to get at least 50 photos photographed by Milton and Yanaki Manaki.
- WiR Diary
- Interim report
- Full report after 6 months
- In GLAM Newsletter from May 2016
- First DARM Challenge
The risk could be to not be able to involve in Wikipedia projects the employees from Departments in other cities, because of lack of interest. That is why I am going to create an events, such as edit-a-thons, in order to encourage the employees who already started to improve Wikipedia articles, to continue with Wikipedia activities.
The compensation is to cover living costs of Wikipedian in Residence while on this duty.
Traveling costs are count for two Departments (in Bitola and Ohrid) where I already have negotiation with managements to release files for Wikipedia.
For travel costs in other Departments, I will ask rapid grant after negotiations with their managements, when the time will come.
The same for second Challenge: I will ask rapid grant for costs when the time will come to start the second challenge.
Project budget tableEdit
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Wikipedian in Residence||compensate||1 month||6||500||3000||EUR||The compensation is the common in Macedonia for WiR. Including VAT and all taxes one has to pay monthly|
|2||Traveling costs||2 travels||5 days||162||324||EUR||Will be use while visiting the State Departments in Bitola and Ohrid: 2 times x 12 Euros for public transport ticket, round trip; 10 days x 30 euros = 15 euros hostel plus 15 euros meals (one proper meal of 10 euros and 5 euros for coffee and sandwiches)|
|3||Second DARM Challenge costs||books for compensate a winners plus postal costs||set of books||5 set of books||20 euros per set (100 EUR) + 20 euros postal costs||120||EUR||The prizes will be given in books. No cash prizes.|
Total cost of projectEdit
Total amount requestedEdit
Additional sources of revenueEdit
DARM is providing: office, desc, internet access, and the person who will collaborate with WiR. Those are revenue which the Archives will provide kindly.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- For grantees
If you are the grantee or representative that wrote this grant submission, you may request changes by using these links: