Grants:PEG/Violetova/Wikipedian in Residence/Report/Interim
- Interim report accepted
- To read the approved grant submission describing the plan for this project, please visit Grants:PEG/Violetova/Wikipedian in Residence.
- You may still comment on this report on its discussion page.
- Please visit Grants:PEG/Violetova/Wikipedian in Residence/Report to comment on or read the final report.
- You are welcome to Email grants at wikimedia dot org at any time if you have questions or concerns about this report.
- Are you complying with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Do you expect this project to be completed by the date specified in the approved grant submission?
- Did you use any of the grant funds?
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
I started at 4 January 2016, as a first working day in the 2016. I've get shared office, own desc and internet access, the first day at DARM. My part time working hours: 11 AM - 4 PM, every day. As planed, I created category on Commons to have all uploaded files in one place; created: c:Template:DARM archive; uploaded the files on Commons; wrote the weekly WiR diary; and had meetings with the Chief Manager of the Archives and other employees about my activities as Wikipedian in Residence.
For the first time, DARM was hosting "Open day" for Wikipedians, with the guided tour at the Archives, at suggestion from WiR. This event happened on 15th January 2016, the Anniversary of Wikipedia. The program of this event, "Open day at the Archives" was as follow: Guided tour at the Archives for all (Wikipedians and guests); Discussion about Wikipedia, Basic editing and Edit-a-thon. The whole report on this event - Open day.
I was working with the ASNOM files, as planed. There are 22 thousand files, digitized and ready to upload. But, due to changes of the plans in the Archives, I was asked to continue with materials of WW I, and Balkan Wars, which were scanned and ready to upload. The management of the Archives decided first to publish all of the ASNOM files as a book, then release for Wikipedia usage. I will continue with ASNOM files after 1st of April 2016.
My work continue with digitized files, but also with materials which I have to digitized. I started a process of digitalization of the files. It is exciting to search in boxes with original documents from the last century. I love this part.
About edith-a-thons and basic editing workshops, there were five so far. Two workshops (hands on) were with students which are obligated to pass an internship program in the Archives. The management of the Archives decided that the students have to go through Wikipedia editing program also. I was happy to teach the students on how to edit Wikipedia articles. Altogether, 13 persons were educated on basic editing workshops: 2 newbies on "Open day", 7 students and 4 employees.
- Wikipedian in residence diary
- All uploads in one category
- Open day
- Images from the event "Open day" are in this category
- Open day in DARM
- After the event on Cooltura.mk
- Contributions to Wikipedia of Wikipedian in residence at DARM
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects, or that may change the way you are doing this project?
- What went well, or is going well?
- The employees are willing to collaborate. They are asking many questions about Wikipedia, even most of the employees now share opinion that every GLAM institution has to have at least one Wikipedian in Residence. I had two edit-a-thons with several employees, but no "hands on" workshop with them, yet.
- What did not go well, or is not going well?
- Time is not enough. Time spent in the office is not enough for catching the measures of success about uploaded files. I use my time on meetings, edith-a-thons, basic editing with students and I spent time on searching the boxes with documents in order to find which are appropriate for Wikipedia, then I spent time on digitalized them.
- From your answers above, do you plan to change anything you are doing as your project continues?
- I plan to continue with the same pace.
Outcomes and impactEdit
- Provide the original project goal here.
- The goal of this activity is to work with GLAM staff and serve as a liaison between the Archives and the Wikimedia community. Educating the GLAM employees on Wikimedia projects; upload files on Commons, which are release for public domain. I will be responsible for coordinating and organizing special events, such as edith-a-thons, Wikipedian tours, which will bring Wikipedians on-site to work with staff on content creation and improvement. To host a contest and thematic editing weeks is a very important goal, because the volunteers will have a chance to incorporate uploaded materials into articles.
- Do you expect to reach your project's goal? Why or why not?
- Most of the project goals are going well, except contest, which is not set yet.
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
Measures of successEdit
|Project metrics||Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|at least 3000 uploaded files after 6 months||400 uploaded files after two an a half months or 727 pages in total||Most of the files consist two or more pages/sheets. Around 327 documents (pages) are part of the others, not measured as separate uploaded files. All together they are 727 pages in total. Note: I spent time working and arranging all pages, no matter if they are separate files or they are continuous pages. For example:
|at least 300 improved and/or new articles after 6 months, made by GLAM employees and other Wikipedians||As far as I know, 42 new articles are created and 8 are improved.||There is a problem with this goal, because I am not aware of all created or improved articles, so I cannot count them properly. Some of the new articles:|
|at least 10% of uploaded files used in new or existing articles||16.00% of all images of category||This is according Glamogous tool, and the number vary almost every day.|
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project is going according to these measures.
- My duty as WiR is going well. The measures of success about uploaded files was counted with 20 uploaded files a day. This number can be reached if the files are ready to upload, and if WiR has no meetings or other activities in the Archives. There are days when I am not able just to sit and upload files.
- While doing this project, have you decided to track any other measures of success not listed in your grant submission? If so, please list them here.
- I educated 7 students who are on internship program in the Archives. This was not planed, but is welcome. All of them came two times till now, and there will be more students who will come this days in the Archives.
Remember that you will need to report on Global Metrics in your final report.
Remember that you will need to report on your project's impact on WMF's mission and strategic goals in your final report.
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
Remember that you will need to send receipts or documentation of all project expenses to WMF at the time your final report is submitted.
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here here.
- These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
- Note that variances in the project budget over 10% per expense category must be approved in advance by Project and Event Grants program staff. For all other variances, please provide an explanation in the table below.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Wikipedian in Residence||compensate||1 month||3||500||1500||EUR||The compensation for living costs for WiR. Including VAT and all taxes one has to pay monthly|
PLACEHOLDER TEXT. SEE INSTRUCTIONS AT Grants:PEG/Create financial report.
- Total amount spent on this project so far (with currency)
- 1500 euros
- Total amount of WMF grant funds spent on this project so far (with currency)
- 1500 euros
- Based on your spending, will you need to request any changes to your budget? If you do, please see the guidelines for requesting changes to your budget.
- Answer YES or NO.