Grants:PEG/User:Ahmed Mohi El din- Egypt Wikimedians user group/Wikimedia projects activities in Egypt/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
Please describe in detail what you actually did. Provide links where applicable. we supported and organized a total of 3 edit-a-thons, 4 meeting for the user group members,Wiki Loves Monuments Competition and Wikipedia education program conference.
We made 2 edit-a-thons more than 120 one participated in working on developing and improving many articles and around 45 one of them continue working with Wikipedia by joining Wikipedia education program.
We called every member of our user group for a monthly meeting to plan for events and activities.
Wikipedia education program conferenceEdit
we managed a conference in Cairo University to celebrate the achievements of students in the 5th term on Wikipedia education program
Wiki Love MonumentsEdit
WMEG actively promoted the Wiki Loves Monuments Competition with the following :
- Advertising the competition through the ORMS mailing list ans social media which has a substantial number of photographers
- Contact and presentations with photographic societies / clubs to promote the competition
- 2 photo hunts made in September
we managed a to write articles about history in Arabic Wikipedia and 15 users joined it and its result was more than 110 new articles and upload 80 new image. there was 2 winners in this contest . first prize was $250 and second was $100 . and the judgement criteria was on both quantity and the quality .
- What worked well?
Many organizations were interested in hosting edit-a-thons with us,
We generally delivered what we promised and completed the contest successfully.
- Central notice appears to be the most efficient method for advertisement of this project.
- We have made good local partners for future collaboration/projects.
- Compared to 2013, we have significantly larger number of uploaders.
- What didn't work?
- we can't reach some winners to deliver the prizes to them
- We still have a problem of lack of active volunteers especially in our offline work. Also we need to be more organized and more prepared in our future events.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Design a more effective workflow for first and subsequent uploads.
- Uploaders should take less than a few minutes to read overall rules and should be encouraged to come back to an announcement page for results.
- Email contact is a must. We should explore technical tool to enforce this.
- Make announcement long before September so that people have plenty of time to collect good photos.
Outcomes and impactEdit
- Provide the original project goal here.
The goal of the project is to bring Egyptian people closer to the Wikimedia projects by asking them to produce photos that illustrate monuments all around Egypt and put those photos in Wikimedia Commons under a free license.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
We believe the goal was achieved and below are the result
- 214 people interacted with our events .
- creating new 80 articles
- adding 6218 Image
- Developing 4 FA articles
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|1. # of new images uploaded 2000||6,218||A total of 6,218 images were submitted during this competition, totally 15 177.7 MB of data|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||214 persons||nvolved as volunteers, juries, participants|
|2. # of new editors||~100 persons||estimated from number of uploaders|
|3. # of individuals involved||214 persons||participants (uploaders)|
|4. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||6228||From contest statistics|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||133||Using the Glamrous tool 133 images have been added to articles so far|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||16947.4 MBytes||according to WLM stat tool https://tools.wmflabs.org/wlm-stats/|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- yes it increased the motivation of contributors by helping them how to edit in the edit-athons and offers awards for the best contributes
We received many Media Coverage . and below are some examples
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
Most of the contributes are new editors who edits Wikipedia for first time .
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
Number Category Item description Unit Number of units Actual cost per unit Actual total Currency Actual total Currency Notes 1 WLM Photography trips Cairo Trip Bus rental 1 Day 1 950 950 EGP 132.525 USD 2 WLM Photography trips Cairo Trip Sandwitches for participants per person 19 19 190 EGP 26.505 USD 3 WLM Photography trips Cairo Trip Snacks for participants per person 19 7.3 140 EGP 19.53 USD 4 WLM Photography trips Cairo Trip tickets per person 19 2 38 EGP 5.301 USD 5 WLM Photography trips Akexandria Trip Bus rental 1 Day 1 1250 1250 EGP 174.375 USD 6 WLM Photography trips Akexandria Trip Refreshments for participants per person 10 5.2 52 EGP 7.254 USD 7 WLM Photography trips Akexandria Trip Food per person 10 9.6 96 EGP 13.392 USD 8 WLM Photography trips Akexandria Trip Food per person 10 67 670 EGP 93.465 USD 9 WLM Photography trips Akexandria Trip tickets per person 10 8 80 EGP 11.16 USD 10 WLM Photography trips Akexandria Trip tickets per person 10 2 20 EGP 2.79 USD 11 WLM Photography trips Akexandria Trip tickets per person 11 2 22 EGP 3.069 USD 12 WLM Photography trips Akexandria Trip tolls 1 Day 1 30 30 EGP 4.185 USD Total WLM Photography trips total 3538 EGP 493.551 USD photography trips Budget deficit = 43.551 USD WLM Photography editing workshop No expenses No expenses No expenses No expenses No expenses No expenses WLM photography editing workshops Surplus = 100 USD 13 WLM Advertising Advertisements printing 1 Ad 1 515 515 EGP 71.8 USD 14 WLM Advertising Advertisements printing 1 Ad 1 500 500 EGP 69.25 USD 15 WLM Advertising Online advertisment (Facebbok) "1 Ad " 1 N\A N\A EGP 145.31 USD The Ads costs are paid directly in USD 16 WLM Advertising Online advertisment (Facebbok) 1 ad 1 N\A N\A EGP 53.77 USD 17 WLM Advertising Online advertisment (Facebbok) 1 ad 1 N\A N\A EGP 25.3 USD 18 WLM Advertising Frames Frame 227 EGP 31.44 USD " " Total WLM ِAdvertising total 397 USD WLM advertisment Budget surplus = 103 USD 19 WLM Prize First Prize Prize 1 N\A N\A EGP 1,000 USD The prizes are in USD 20 WLM Prize Secod Prize Prize 1 N\A N\A EGP 500 USD 21 WLM Prize Third Prize Prize 1 N\A N\A EGP 250 USD No surplus or dificit in the prizes budget 22 Regular meetups Zamalek meeting "Meal/person " 12 36.46 437.5 EGP 61 USD 23 Regular meetups Old cairo meeting "Meal/person " 12 138.4 1661 EGP 232 USD 24 Regular meetups Maadi clintro meeting "Meal/person " 4 25 100 EGP 13.93 USD 25 Regular meetups Cinabon meeting "Meal/person " 3 27 81 EGP 11.28 USD Total Total regular meetups 318 USD Meetups budget surplus = 42 USD 26 Meeitng transportation/ shipment fess taxi Zamalek meeting (Samir) 1 taxi 1 60 60 EGP 8.36 USD 27 Meeitng transportation/ shipment fess taxi alex photography trip (Samir and Mahmoud) 1 taxi 1 40 40 EGP 5.58 USD 28 Meeitng transportation/ shipment fess (Damanhour to Alex bus) Alex trip (Samir and Mahmoud) bus ticket 4 5 20 EGP 2.79 USD 29 Meeitng transportation/ shipment fess (Damanhour to Alex bus) Alex trip (Samir and Mahmoud) bus ticket 1 2 2 EGP 0.279 USD 30 Meeitng transportation/ shipment fess (Damanhour to Alex bus) Alex trip (Samir and Mahmoud) bus ticket 2 1 2 EGP 0.279 USD 31 Meeitng transportation/ shipment fess (Damanhour to Cairo trains) Cairo trip (Mohamed Moussa and Mahmoud) Train ticket 2 60.5 121 EGP 16.88 USD 32 Meeitng transportation/ shipment fess taxi Old Cairo meeting (May) Taxi 1 140 140 EGP 19.516 USD 33 Meeitng transportation/ shipment fess car rental to ship the t-shirts from damanhour to cairo Shipments 1 360 360 EGP 50.22 USD 34 Meeitng transportation/ shipment fess bank first visit taxis (samir) 1 Taxi 1 70 70 EGP 9.765 USD 35 Meeitng transportation/ shipment fess bank second visit taxi (samir) 1 Taxi 1 42 42 EGP 5.86 USD 36 Transportation and shipment fees taxi adef meeting (samir) 1 Taxi 1 25 25 EGP 3.4875 USD 37 Transportation and shipment fees mohandesseen taxi women association visit (may) 1 Taxi 1 50 50 EGP 6.97 USD 38 Transportation and shipment fees taxi euronews 2nd shooting day (may) 1 Taxi 1 50 50 EGP 6.96 USD 39 Transportation and shipment fees Parking for Ahmed Parking fess 1 20 20 EGP 2.788 USD 40 Transportation and shipment fees fuel for Ahmed Fuel N/A 100 100 EGP 13.94 USD 41 Transportation and shipment fees taxi awards print 1 Taxi 1 80 80 EGP 11.152 USD 42 Transportation and shipment fees fuel for Ouda Fuel N/A 150 150 EGP 14.94 USD 43 Edit-a-thon transportation editathon transportation (3 students) Taxi 3 33.3 100 EGP 13.73 USD 44 Edit-a-thon transportation 2 taxis editathon transportation (samir) Taxi 2 50 100 EGP 13.73 USD 45 Edit-a-thon transportation taxi 2nd editathon (may) Taxi 1 35 35 EGP 4.81 USD Total Total transporatation and shipment 1567 EGP 212.0365 USD Transportation and shipment budget surplus = 87.9635 46 Editathons Promotion Printed T-shirts, for the participants 1 T-shirt 75 40 3000 EGP 419 USD 47 First Edit-a-thon transportation Bus rental 1 Bus 1 650 650 EGP 90.675 USD 48 First Edit-a-thon First Edit-a-thon Meals per person 25 10.4 260 EGP 36.27 USD 49 First Edit-a-thon First Edit-a-thon Refreshments per person 25 2.91 72.75 EGP 10.15 USD 50 First Edit-a-thon First Edit-a-thon Meals per person 25 12.15 303.65 EGP 42.36 USD 51 First Edit-a-thon First Edit-a-thon Meals per person 25 18.88 472 EGP 65.85 USD 52 Second Edit-a-thon Bus rental 1 Bus 1 1560 1560 EGP 217.464 USD 53 Second Edit-a-thon Food per person 75 18.786 1002 EGP 139.6788 USD Total Total editathons 7320.4 EGP 1021.45 USD Editathons surplus = 628.55 54 Equipment Laptop Laptop 1 6500 6500 EGP 907 USD 55 Equipment Laptop Laptop 1 7100 7100 EGP 991 USD 56 Equipment Portable hot spot router Router 2 routers 400 800 EGP 112 USD 57 Equipment Internet access subscription 1 month subscription 2 months 250 500 EGP 70 USD 58 Equipment Internet access subscription 1 month subscription 5 month 200 1000 EGP 139.5 USD 59 Equipment VGA Cable Cable 1 100 100 EGP 14 USD Total Equipment total 16000 EGP 2233.5 USD Equipment surplus = 246.5 60 Confrence Certificates and refreshments " 61 Total conference expanses 6934 EGP 967 USD Conference Surplus = 8 USD 62 writing contest prizes" 1st prize for the writing contest 1 USD 250 250 USD 63 writing contest prizes" 2st prize for the writing contest 1 USD 100 100 USD
SEE INSTRUCTIONS AT Grants:Index/Create financial report.
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 8,565 USD
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 8,565 USD
- Total amount spent on this project
- 6792.5 USD
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 6792.5 USD
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 1772.47 USD
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- we make a submit a for a new grant request