Grants:PEG/User:Ahmed Mohi El din- Egypt Wikimedians user group/Wikimedia projects activities in Egypt/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
Please describe in detail what you actually did. Provide links where applicable. we supported and organized a total of 3 edit-a-thons, 4 meeting for the user group members,Wiki Loves Monuments Competition and Wikipedia education program conference.
We made 2 edit-a-thons more than 120 one participated in working on developing and improving many articles and around 45 one of them continue working with Wikipedia by joining Wikipedia education program.
We called every member of our user group for a monthly meeting to plan for events and activities.
Wikipedia education program conferenceEdit
we managed a conference in Cairo University to celebrate the achievements of students in the 5th term on Wikipedia education program
Wiki Love MonumentsEdit
WMEG actively promoted the Wiki Loves Monuments Competition with the following :
- Advertising the competition through the ORMS mailing list ans social media which has a substantial number of photographers
- Contact and presentations with photographic societies / clubs to promote the competition
- 2 photo hunts made in September
we managed a to write articles about history in Arabic Wikipedia and 15 users joined it and its result was more than 110 new articles and upload 80 new image. there was 2 winners in this contest . first prize was $250 and second was $100 . and the judgement criteria was on both quantity and the quality .
- What worked well?
Many organizations were interested in hosting edit-a-thons with us,
We generally delivered what we promised and completed the contest successfully.
- Central notice appears to be the most efficient method for advertisement of this project.
- We have made good local partners for future collaboration/projects.
- Compared to 2013, we have significantly larger number of uploaders.
- What didn't work?
- we can't reach some winners to deliver the prizes to them
- We still have a problem of lack of active volunteers especially in our offline work. Also we need to be more organized and more prepared in our future events.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Design a more effective workflow for first and subsequent uploads.
- Uploaders should take less than a few minutes to read overall rules and should be encouraged to come back to an announcement page for results.
- Email contact is a must. We should explore technical tool to enforce this.
- Make announcement long before September so that people have plenty of time to collect good photos.
Outcomes and impactEdit
- Provide the original project goal here.
The goal of the project is to bring Egyptian people closer to the Wikimedia projects by asking them to produce photos that illustrate monuments all around Egypt and put those photos in Wikimedia Commons under a free license.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
We believe the goal was achieved and below are the result
- 214 people interacted with our events .
- creating new 80 articles
- adding 6218 Image
- Developing 4 FA articles
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|1. # of new images uploaded 2000||6,218||A total of 6,218 images were submitted during this competition, totally 15 177.7 MB of data|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||214 persons||nvolved as volunteers, juries, participants|
|2. # of new editors||~100 persons||estimated from number of uploaders|
|3. # of individuals involved||214 persons||participants (uploaders)|
|4. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||6228||From contest statistics|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||133||Using the Glamrous tool 133 images have been added to articles so far|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||16947.4 MBytes||according to WLM stat tool https://tools.wmflabs.org/wlm-stats/|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- yes it increased the motivation of contributors by helping them how to edit in the edit-athons and offers awards for the best contributes
We received many Media Coverage . and below are some examples
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
Most of the contributes are new editors who edits Wikipedia for first time .
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Currency||Actual total||Currency||Notes|
|1||WLM Photography trips||Cairo Trip Bus rental||1 Day||1||950||950||EGP||132.525||USD|
|2||WLM Photography trips||Cairo Trip Sandwitches for participants||per person||19||19||190||EGP||26.505||USD|
|3||WLM Photography trips||Cairo Trip Snacks for participants||per person||19||7.3||140||EGP||19.53||USD|
|4||WLM Photography trips||Cairo Trip tickets||per person||19||2||38||EGP||5.301||USD|
|5||WLM Photography trips||Akexandria Trip Bus rental||1 Day||1||1250||1250||EGP||174.375||USD|
|6||WLM Photography trips||Akexandria Trip Refreshments for participants||per person||10||5.2||52||EGP||7.254||USD|
|7||WLM Photography trips||Akexandria Trip Food||per person||10||9.6||96||EGP||13.392||USD|
|8||WLM Photography trips||Akexandria Trip Food||per person||10||67||670||EGP||93.465||USD|
|9||WLM Photography trips||Akexandria Trip tickets||per person||10||8||80||EGP||11.16||USD|
|10||WLM Photography trips||Akexandria Trip tickets||per person||10||2||20||EGP||2.79||USD|
|11||WLM Photography trips||Akexandria Trip tickets||per person||11||2||22||EGP||3.069||USD|
|12||WLM Photography trips||Akexandria Trip tolls||1 Day||1||30||30||EGP||4.185||USD|
|Total||WLM Photography trips total||3538||EGP||493.551||USD||photography trips Budget deficit = 43.551 USD|
|WLM Photography editing workshop||No expenses||No expenses||No expenses||No expenses||No expenses||No expenses||WLM photography editing workshops Surplus = 100 USD|
|13||WLM Advertising||Advertisements printing||1 Ad||1||515||515||EGP||71.8||USD|
|14||WLM Advertising||Advertisements printing||1 Ad||1||500||500||EGP||69.25||USD|
|15||WLM Advertising||Online advertisement (Facebook)||"1 Ad"||1||N\A||N\A||EGP||145.31||USD||The Ads costs are paid directly in USD|
|16||WLM Advertising||Online advertisement (Facebook)||1 ad||1||N\A||N\A||EGP||53.77||USD|
|17||WLM Advertising||Online advertisement (Facebook)||1 ad||1||N\A||N\A||EGP||25.3||USD|
|Total||WLM ِ Advertising total||397||USD||WLM advertisement Budget surplus = 103 USD|
|19||WLM Prize||First Prize||Prize||1||N\A||N\A||EGP||1,000||USD||The prizes are in USD|
|20||WLM Prize||Second Prize||Prize||1||N\A||N\A||EGP||500||USD|
|21||WLM Prize||Third Prize||Prize||1||N\A||N\A||EGP||250||USD||No surplus or deficit in the prizes budget|
|22||Regular meetups||Zamalek meeting||"Meal/person"||12||36.46||437.5||EGP||61||USD|
|23||Regular meetups||Old cairo meeting||"Meal/person"||12||138.4||1661||EGP||232||USD|
|24||Regular meetups||Maadi clintro meeting||"Meal/person"||4||25||100||EGP||13.93||USD|
|25||Regular meetups||Cinabon meeting||"Meal/person"||3||27||81||EGP||11.28||USD|
|Total||Total regular meetups||318||USD||Meetups budget surplus = 42 USD|
|26||Meeting transportation/ shipment fess||taxi Zamalek meeting (Samir)||1 taxi||1||60||60||EGP||8.36||USD|
|27||Meeting transportation/ shipment fess||taxi alex photography trip (Samir and Mahmoud)||1 taxi||1||40||40||EGP||5.58||USD|
|28||Meeting transportation/ shipment fess||(Damanhour to Alex bus) Alex trip (Samir and Mahmoud)||bus ticket||4||5||20||EGP||2.79||USD|
|29||Meeting transportation/ shipment fess||(Damanhour to Alex bus) Alex trip (Samir and Mahmoud)||bus ticket||1||2||2||EGP||0.279||USD|
|30||Meeting transportation/ shipment fess||(Damanhour to Alex bus) Alex trip (Samir and Mahmoud)||bus ticket||2||1||2||EGP||0.279||USD|
|31||Meeting transportation/ shipment fess||(Damanhour to Cairo trains) Cairo trip (Mohamed Moussa and Mahmoud)||Train ticket||2||60.5||121||EGP||16.88||USD|
|32||Meeting transportation/ shipment fess||taxi Old Cairo meeting (May)||Taxi||1||140||140||EGP||19.516||USD|
|33||Meeting transportation/ shipment fess||car rental to ship the t-shirts from damanhour to cairo||Shipments||1||360||360||EGP||50.22||USD|
|34||Meeting transportation/ shipment fess||bank first visit taxis (samir)||1 Taxi||1||70||70||EGP||9.765||USD|
|35||Meeting transportation/ shipment fess||bank second visit taxi (samir)||1 Taxi||1||42||42||EGP||5.86||USD|
|36||Transportation and shipment fees||taxi adef meeting (samir)||1 Taxi||1||25||25||EGP||3.4875||USD|
|37||Transportation and shipment fees||mohandesseen taxi women association visit (may)||1 Taxi||1||50||50||EGP||6.97||USD|
|38||Transportation and shipment fees||taxi euronews 2nd shooting day (may)||1 Taxi||1||50||50||EGP||6.96||USD|
|39||Transportation and shipment fees||Parking for Ahmed||Parking fess||1||20||20||EGP||2.788||USD|
|40||Transportation and shipment fees||fuel for Ahmed||Fuel||N/A||100||100||EGP||13.94||USD|
|41||Transportation and shipment fees||taxi awards print||1 Taxi||1||80||80||EGP||11.152||USD|
|42||Transportation and shipment fees||fuel for Ouda||Fuel||N/A||150||150||EGP||14.94||USD|
|43||Edit-a-thon transportation||editathon transportation (3 students)||Taxi||3||33.3||100||EGP||13.73||USD|
|44||Edit-a-thon transportation||2 taxis editathon transportation (samir)||Taxi||2||50||100||EGP||13.73||USD|
|45||Edit-a-thon transportation||taxi 2nd editathon (may)||Taxi||1||35||35||EGP||4.81||USD|
|Total||Total transportation and shipment||1567||EGP||212.0365||USD||Transportation and shipment budget surplus = 87.9635|
|46||Editathons Promotion||Printed T-shirts, for the participants||1 T-shirt||75||40||3000||EGP||419||USD|
|47||First Edit-a-thon transportation||Bus rental||1 Bus||1||650||650||EGP||90.675||USD|
|48||First Edit-a-thon||First Edit-a-thon Meals||per person||25||10.4||260||EGP||36.27||USD|
|49||First Edit-a-thon||First Edit-a-thon Refreshments||per person||25||2.91||72.75||EGP||10.15||USD|
|50||First Edit-a-thon||First Edit-a-thon Meals||per person||25||12.15||303.65||EGP||42.36||USD|
|51||First Edit-a-thon||First Edit-a-thon Meals||per person||25||18.88||472||EGP||65.85||USD|
|52||Second Edit-a-thon||Bus rental||1 Bus||1||1560||1560||EGP||217.464||USD|
|53||Second Edit-a-thon||Food||per person||75||18.786||1002||EGP||139.6788||USD|
|Total||Total editathons||7320.4||EGP||1021.45||USD||Editathons surplus = 628.55|
|56||Equipment||Portable hot spot router||Router||2 routers||400||800||EGP||112||USD|
|57||Equipment||Internet access subscription||1 month subscription||2 months||250||500||EGP||70||USD|
|58||Equipment||Internet access subscription||1 month subscription||5 month||200||1000||EGP||139.5||USD|
|Total||Equipment total||16000||EGP||2233.5||USD||Equipment surplus = 246.5|
|60||Conference||Certificates and refreshments|
|61||Total conference expanses||6934||EGP||967||USD||Conference Surplus = 8 USD|
|62||writing contest prizes"||1st prize for the writing contest||1||USD||250||250||USD|
|63||writing contest prizes"||2st prize for the writing contest||1||USD||100||100||USD|
SEE INSTRUCTIONS AT Grants:Index/Create financial report.
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 8,565 USD
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 8,565 USD
- Total amount spent on this project
- 6792.5 USD
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 6792.5 USD
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 1772.47 USD
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- we make a submit a for a new grant request