Grants:PEG/UG GR/European Science Photo Competition Greece 2015
The aim of this project is to organise for the first time a Wikimedia photo contest in Greece. Due to already known limitations of the Freedom of Panorama status in Greece we couldn't run so far a WLM or some other Wikimedia Photo Contest in our country. So it's very important for the UG GR and the Wikimedian community in Greece to run it's first Photo Competition.
Taking part in the Pan-European Science Photo Competition 2015 organized this year by Wikimedia Eesti, we are just catching the opportunity to run and organize an event of this kind and size in Greece.
European Science Photo Competition Greece 2015 primarily aims at the generation of image content for the Wikimedia projects, specifically images and media files of science in general as described on the relevant page on Commons and are not yet available for the wiki community. We also hope that our interaction with science organizations, students and photographers will built a network of contatcts among them and our community.
- Preparation for the contest / Drafting of the set of rules for participation to the contest / Selection of the members of the jury committee
- Launching a website, community notification in Agora (el.wp village pump, wikiel mailing list, other relevant mailing lists, etc.)
- Press release announcing the competition just some days before the starting date (we will try to have press coverage also during the contest)
- Announcement of the competition in Fosscomm (which will occur from 6 till 8 November 2015), a conference of Free and Open Source Software Communities in Greece, where the UG GR will be participating as a team
- Contest itself, 1st November - 30 November 2015 .
- Selection of winners, 1 December - 25 December 2015. This involves work of organisers and active wikimedians who will check if images are eligible on the first stage and selection of the winners by the jury afterwards.
- List of articles of scientific interest that need to be illustrated in English, Greek and other Wikipedias
- Preparation of Posters and Certificates that will be delivered during the Award ceremony to the winners and the participants of the event.
- Award ceremony (the date needs to be defined yet) and presentation events in an appropriate venue (that we 'll do our best to be free of charge and in a scientific institution as a best choice), after an editathon at the same place, to add photos from the contest in Wikipedia articles and Wikidata items.
- Wikimedia Commons: all images will be uploaded there
- Wikipedia - all languages: illustrations for existing articles about science and new articles about scientific issues depicted on the freshly uploaded pictures
- Wikispecies: Possibly new microscopy images for Wikispecies project
- Wikimedia projects in other languages having content or definitions (p.e. word definitions on Wiktionary) about scientific issues depicted on pictures (or media files) that will be delivered by the contest
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- Imroving Quality: higher quality images to illustrate science articles on Wikipedia, improving also content about new scientific findings and people of science
- Increasing Participation: Bringing people from institutions of science, students and photographers to get to know more about Commons, Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Projects. Make them part of our movement and aware of the advantages of a sharing knowledge society.
- Increasing Visibility: More people from scientific fields and relevant institutions in Greece will be informed about Wikimedia projects and Wikimedia Community in Greece. The scientific community itself in Greece will be more visible after the end of the project via Wikipedia and Commons.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- Numbers of photos uploaded: 500
- 50 participants uploading one or more pictures
- At least 20 new users participating in the contest
- 3 months after the event 5% of participants are still editing
- 3 months after the event, 100 (or 20%) of the uploaded photos are used on wiki projects
- 6 months after the event, 30 (and 6%) of uploaded photos are categorized as valued, 10 (and 2%) as quality, and 5 (and 1%) as featured
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risksEdit
Our team has organized a multitude of events like educational programms, edit-a-thons, workshops, conferences or a daily mediawiki event. Our most recent was Thesswiki, a collaborative wiki-city project. No previous grant requests were submitted from UG GR during its existence. All our projects were self-funded so far (when needed we got sponsorship by other organizations [private, public or non-profit] that the UG GR has cooperated with).
- A risk could be the one of low participation, because of insufficient advertisement. We believe that CentralNotice banner can provide a high visibility to the project, and we plan to communicate with research insitutes and universities.
- A connected risk would be to have a big grant prize for a small number of participants. For this reason we didn't set the prizes very high.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Prizes||prizes for the best photographs and best contributors||n/a||3||n/a||900.00||EUR||Prizes will be awarded to the three best photographs (1st prize: €400.00, 2nd prize: €300.00, 3rd prize: €200.00, 4-10th will get a poster of their photo.|
|2||Posters||posters with the logo and the awarded photographs||unit||10||21.00||210.00||EUR||The posters with the official logo of the competition for the first 10 (or as many the budget can cover) awarded photographs are due to be exhibited during the Award ceremony.|
|3||Certificates||certificates for the awarded photographs and jury members||unit||20||0.50||10.00||EUR||Certificates with the names of the awarded photographs and prizes will be delivered during the Award ceremony. Similarly, certificates will be given to the jury members for their participation.|
|4||Catering||catering served during the edit-a-thon and Award ceremony||n/a||n/a||n/a||300.00||EUR||The catering includes beverages, snacks and finger-food that will be served during the Award ceremony.|
|5||Travelling expenses||travelling and accomodation expenses for the Award ceremony||person||n/d yet||n/a||500.00||EUR||tickets+hotel for awarded photographers, jury members, and organising commitee. We can't predetermine how many will need transportation and/or lodging, as we don't know yet the location of residence of the winners (since we 'll have more information we will provide a more accurate figure), but in any case unused funds will be reimbursed to WMF|
|6||Fees, commissions, etc||Banking fees||transction||n/a||n/a||50.00||EUR||transactions for receiving money, banking fees for payments (prizes and other).|
|7||Web hosting||expenses for hosting the official website of the competition||unit||1||35.00||35.00||EUR||The official website will host all the necessary information about the competition..|
|8||Incidentals||expenses that are not projected in the budget but may still occur||n/a||n/a||n/a||100.00||EUR||This item will be generally used to adjust the changes in prices if they occur or to cover some of the incidental expenses that are not anticipated but may later occur as necessary.|
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- We will try to find some sponsors to cover a part of the expenses. Regarding the critical situation of the Greek economy and its banking system at the moment it's highly unlikely to find a sponsor. Whatever the case, we will make an effort towards that direction.
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Communities and lists notifiedEdit
- Greek Wikipedia Village Pump (Αγορά)
- Greek Wiktionary (Βικιδημία)
- Wikimedia Commons Village Pump
- Wikispecies Village Pump
- Greek Wikimedia Mailing List
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- tsoukali- This can be a great injection of motivation for the Greek community of editors, encouraging them to get involved in a project they may otherwise not be interested in. It will also help improve numerous articles, through photographic material that will be generated through this competition.
- Kalogeropoulos -Though I'm not a photographer to help these people, I find quite interesting the combination of future material for Commons and spreading of wikipedia project idea
- Beside of usual results (new content, publicity for wiki projects and movement etc) I see this program as a great opportunity to again communicate issues of missing freedom of panorama to Greek people. --KuboF (talk) 12:59, 18 October 2015 (UTC)
- At a glance, this seems like a typical photo competition of the sort which routinely produces good Wikimedia outcomes. The budget is modest for this sort of thing, the proposers seem knowledgeable about the field and interest in this, and the media content which would be collected from this is aligned with usual Wikimedia project desires. Without reviewing this more deeply than the concept and outline, I am happy to endorse this. Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:17, 21 October 2015 (UTC)