Grants:PEG/TMorshed/Wikipedia 15 Celebration in Bangladesh
The goal of this initiative is to mark the 15th birthday of Wikipedia in Bangladesh with a number of programs. The programs aims to increase reach of the activities that the Bangladeshi Wikimedians are involved with. The program titled 'Good Article Translation Contest' will help better the quality of articles.
- Good Article contest: Wikipedians will translate articles into Bengali from English Wikipedia's good article list. The aim of this contest is to improve quality of articles in Bengali Wikipedia. The contest will start from November 1, 2015 to January 10, 2016. Expected participants: 300
- Workshops (outreach): 3 university workshops will be held before Wikipedia 15. One of them is a follow up event. The aim is to create awareness as well as motivate people to contribute Wikimedia projects specially Bengali Wikipedia and Commons. Expected participants: 150
- Good article day (edit-a-thon): Before January 15, 2016; we'll arrange 5 edit-a-thons in different parts of Bangladesh. Out of 5, four will be held at Dhaka and Chittagong; another one in Rajshahi. The aim of this edit-a-thon is to increase good articles in Bengali Wikipedia. There are currently 14 good articles in Bangla. From these edit-a-thon, we're hoping to increase the number upto 40. Expected participants: 75
- Wikipedia 15 celebration: We're planning to celebrate Wikipedia's Birthday with local Wikipedians. The event will include a general meeting, story telling, launch and #Wikipedia15 cake cutting. Expected participants: 50
This program is intended to mark the 15th birthday of Wikipedia as a whole, but the initiatives within the program will particularly help Bangla Wikipedia, to have better articles and increased readership.
Fit with strategyEdit
- Increase reach: The workshops under the program will help provide hands-on training to people interested to contribute to Wikipedia.
- Increase quality: Good Articles contest and Good Article Day have been planned with a view to increase the number of good articles in Bangla Wikipedia. These initiatives will help better the quality of articles in Bangla Wikipedia in general.
Measures of successEdit
- Good Article contest: Aim is to increase volunteer motivation and commitment as well as the quantity of quality articles. As of now (11 Nov) 77 users completed registration for the contest and 30 good articles from enwp are translated into Bengali. At the end of the contest we're hoping the number will cross 100.
- Workshops: The aim is to increase diversity of participants through these programs.
- Good article day (edit-a-thon): The aim f these edit-a-thon is to increase skills for editing/contributing as well as increase the number of good articles. There are currently 14 good articles in Bangla. From these edit-a-thon, we're hoping to increase the number upto 40 :)
- Wikipedia 15 celebration: Like the other community, we will also celebrate the 15th anniversary of Wikipedia. This event will definitely increase the support and respectation for Wikimedia projects.
Resources and risksEdit
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects:
- Wikipedia 15 Celebration coordination team
- Munir Hasan
- Ali Haidar Khan
- Hasive Chowdhury
- Tanweer Morshed
- Nahid Sultan
- Moheen Reeyad
- Ankan Ghosh
- Nasir Khan
- Lack of time - WMBD executive committee members and the coordination team, both consists of people who voluntarily works. Currently WMBD has no full-time or part-time employees. So organizing such a program by volunteers may cause some problems as not everyone can work full-time.
- Mitigation: We have already officially started recruiting volunteers for WMBD, so new volunteers could be useful for organizing the events. We have already made program plans with opinions from the new volunteers.
- Low participation in the workshop and contest - There is also a risk that past contributors or workshops attendees will no longer participate in the workshops or the contest will have low number of participants.
- Mitigation: We have planned to reach a larger audience than in past years with announcements in media, thus increasing our chances for new participants.
- Project budget table
The estimated budget for the Wikipedia 15 celebration is outlined below:
|Sl.No||Item||Quantity||Rate (BDT)||Total (BDT)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|Wikipedia 15 merchandise|
(Subtotal : 50500 BDT) USD 631.76
|1||Wikipedia 15 Tshirts||100||300||30000||375.34||Given to Good article competition winners, edit-a-thons best contributor, quiz winners of workshop and Wikipedia 15 main conference.|
|2||Wikipedia 15 badge||100||40||4000||50||Given to Good article competition winners, edit-a-thons best contributor, quiz winners of workshop and Wikipedia 15 main conference.|
|3||Wikipedia wristband||100||30||3000||37.53||Given to Good article competition winners, edit-a-thons best contributor, quiz winners of workshop and Wikipedia 15 main conference.|
|5||USB Flashdrive||15||800||12000||150.13||Given to Good article competition winners|
|University Workshops (3 university workshops will be held, 60 participants in each)|
(Subtotal : BDT 35700 or USD 446.66)
|1||Refreshment||180||150||27000||337.80||Refreshment for training session attendees|
|1||Transportation for volunteers||3 events||2000 (each)||6000||75.06|
|Good article day (edit-a-thon) (we'll organize 5 edit-a-thon; 15 participants per event.)|
(Subtotal : BDT 41000 or USD 512.95)
|Wikipedia's 15th birthday celebration|
(Subtotal : BDT 35000 or USD 437.85)
|1||Wikipedia 15 cake||1||4000||4000||50.00||Wikipedia 15 cake.|
|4||Banner, Festoon, posters and other decorative items||-||-||10000||125.12|
|Total (without contingency cost): BDT 162200 (USD 2,029.22)|
Contingency cost: BDT 9698.4 (USD 120.778)
Grand Total (with contingency cost): BDT 171898.40 (USD 2,149.998)
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
- Permission for use of Wikimedia logo and brand in outreach efforts.
- Supply of Wikipedia branding souvenirs like stickers etc.,
- A blog post in Wikimedia blog regarding the Wikipedia 15 celebration in Bangladesh.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- This will increase number of contributor and good article in bangla wiki. Engr.Raju (talk) 04:02, 11 November 2015 (UTC)
- Good initiative. —Mayeenul Islam (TALK) 05:29, 11 November 2015 (UTC)
- It is really a very praiseworthy and ambitious step. It'll surely help to increase quality and quantity of articles in Wiki; and at the same time a good number of new editors are also hoped to be involved through this program. --ANKAN GHOSH DASTIDER (talk) 07:43, 11 November 2015 (UTC)
- Good Initiative. And I think you should add some sort of photowalk and a photographic exhibition too. Ronju65 (talk) 09:04, 11 November 2015 (UTC)
- Great initiative! Events like this will not only increase the reach with workshops and meet-ups, but also help to get some press coverage, which proved a great help to increase the nation-wise awareness of Wikipedia and attract new visitors and potential editors in past. Tarunno (talk) 11:59, 11 November 2015 (UTC)
- Great initiative. — Ahm masum (talk) 14:50, 11 November 2015 (UTC)
- Bangle Wikipedia will be benefited through this knida program. Media coverage will be helpful to reach visitor and new editor. Sufe (talk) 20:12, 11 November 2015 (UTC)
- Fully supported by me to build up for a better Bangla WIKI. Great cheers! - Suvray (talk) 05:17, 12 November 2015 (UTC)
- Support. Hope obviously this project will be successful. Masum-al-hasan (talk) 06:21, 16 November 2015 (UTC)
- Support. This will make the Bangla Wiki better. --সাজিদ রেজা করিম (talk) 20:42, 16 November 2015 (UTC)
- Great initiative for increasing quality article and hope that it will help to make a better community. Rafaell Russell (talk) 06:26, 23 November 2015 (UTC)
- As a member of Wikipedia 15 Celebration coordination team I think this program is intended to mark the 15th birthday of Wikipedia as a whole, but the initiatives within the program will particularly help Bangla Wikipedia, to have better articles and increased readership. As per offline activity already 60+ GA article has been created by the participants and It will be soon crossed 150 then more. Thanks. ~ Moheen (talk) 12:09, 23 November 2015 (UTC)
- Great initiative. --Hasive • talk • 13:57, 27 November 2015 (UTC)
- Great initiative for this community. - Ashiq Shawon (talk) 11:57, 28 November 2015 (UTC)
- Great initiative. Raihan Rana (talk) 17:46, 2 December 2015 (UTC)
- Great step.best of luck. Souravdgx (talk) 12:10, 3 December 20115 (UTC)
- Support.This is a very good idea. I think it can play a vital role in increasing user and develop Bangla Wikipedia. মিনার মাহমুদ (talk) 17:27, 3 December 2015 (UTC)
- It's a great step. It will increase the number of contributors and good articles in Bangla Wikipedia. Motiur Rahman Oni (talk) 04:45, 4 December 2015 (UTC)